Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

accessory installs in cold weather?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
accessory installs in cold weather?

I have a few accessories that I'm installing myself that all say it should only be done when ambient temp is 60F or above. How important is this? I imagine it involves the adhesive curing process, but wanted to check with others. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of a heated garage (or an unheated garage!). Here in Philly, I can't expect the temps to go above 60F until at least late March, if that.

I'm waiting to install the visors and bumper applique. Just anxious to get it done!

Old 01-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Wait till warm weather arrives or find a heated garage to work in. Things get brittle and sticky stuff doesn't stick so well and some think Honda's plastic is brittle to begin with.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Wait till warm weather arrives or find a heated garage to work in. Things get brittle and sticky stuff doesn't stick so well and some think Honda's plastic is brittle to begin with.
Oh come on. He can just brush the snow off it and go at it.

Serious don't do it until it is warm. Even in heated garage give stuff time to warm up.

Personally I would leave the bumper applique off. I took mine off as it just looked cheap which it is. Also spoiled the clean look of the rear.

Before
Name:  0033.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  44.7 KB

After with diffuser painted , JDM tails, Shark antenna, Spoiler tilted and a Stiffy(wiper mod).
Name:  003-16.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  78.2 KB

Old 01-10-2011, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Oh come on. He can just brush the snow off it and go at it.

Serious don't do it until it is warm. Even in heated garage give stuff time to warm up.

Personally I would leave the bumper applique off. I took mine off as it just looked cheap which it is. Also spoiled the clean look of the rear.
Make that a "she" and we're running on all four VTEC cylinders

I like the mods you've made--is that a VG Shark Fin? I've been thinking of getting one of those. The blue badges are cool, too.

As for the applique, it's a matter of necessity. . .I may be sliding a lot of lumber in and out of the car if I ever get time to do woodworking again. But, I do think it looks out of place on the Taffys, but not so bad on the Revolutions.

Guess I'll be stockpiling parts for Spring! At least I can install the armrest.

Thanks all!

Old 01-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Hey kelly, you gotta get used to Bill's Canadian humor_

That bumper thing really won't help much with sliding lumber in and out. You're going to be more concerned with the hatch opening and gasket and the fabric lining. I've got a cotton drop cloth folded up in the back that I use for just that thing. It's large and tripled up by folding and it drapes over the rear opening to protect things. The way the seats fold down leaves a 'bump' you need to deal with as well. Other cars provide a better 'floor' with everything folded down, but the Fit has mucho room and I'm not complaining.

I would forgo the applique, sounds like it should be on a cake anyway, not the bumper of a Fit....

K_C_

Old 01-10-2011, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
Smile Welcome to FF's

Well this mean April B4 it hits 60 in Philly. With the rear bumper app. measure it out exactly were you want it and the take 3/4 " masking tape and outline were it goes, this makes it a snap to place it. The visors Just make sure there is No wax or silicone were the adhesive goes, a good way to test is use the Masking Tape and if it sticks really well then your 3m tape should to. Rubbing alchohol is a good cleaner to use and then test w/ MT.
B sure to post pix!
GL

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 01-10-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kellyyouse
Make that a "she" and we're running on all four VTEC cylinders

>>> Does she have a name? Kelly I am guessing.

I like the mods you've made--is that a VG Shark Fin? I've been thinking of getting one of those. The blue badges are cool, too.

>>> Yes it is a Shark. I have blue inserts on the rear. The front one is painted with same paint as my calipers and drums.

As for the applique, it's a matter of necessity. . .I may be sliding a lot of lumber in and out of the car if I ever get time to do woodworking again. But, I do think it looks out of place on the Taffys, but not so bad on the Revolutions.

>>> As KC mentioned it does not really protect much. I keep a cheap $5 tarp in my trunk for those special occasions.

Guess I'll be stockpiling parts for Spring! At least I can install the armrest.

>>> I got one of the really really cheapo armrests. I think it was something like $10 and $35 shipping. So far has not broken.

Thanks all!
Bill .

Old 01-20-2011, 03:42 PM
i just got an HID kit and OEM visors, which i couldnt wait to install. the HID's were cake, the visors were a PITA! but i got it done in about 2hrs, here in MD where the weather has been averaging in the upper 20's! all visors seem to be perfectly fit and secure, and even passed my local "drive through car wash test", probobly the most nervous i have ever been at a drive-through. only problem was that my fingers went kinda numb after the install!