Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Hella Supertones in a GE8...Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by clownassasin
Thanks for the diagram but sadly I can only understand half of it lol oh well, to Google I go! Oh and do you mind giving me a list of extra things I may need to buy (wires, fuses, etc.) And also what tools am I gonna need( I'm more concerned about soldering lol do I have to do any of that?) And thanks a lot Java!
you can solder the wires if you want but i just used splicing connectors, male and female connectors and ring terminal connectors. works great for me. If you have questions about the diagram just let me know, its fairly simple when you understand it all.

btw you'll need:

about 20 feet of the gauge wire you choose to connect all of this
the following connectors applicable to the gauge u chose
male connectors
female connectors
splice connectors
ring terminals
Electrical tape
inline fuse holder with a 20amp fuse to put in it
wire stripper/crimper tool
zip ties
drill and bits to mount the second horn along with a bolt, washers and nut to secure it

heres a pic when my install was complete

Old 09-29-2011, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
Lol Yeah I never got a chance to do a write up and I lost all my pics of the install when I switched over to the new computer. If you require assistance though I'm sure Java or I can help you.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
You know, Im not sure these are even worth it anymore. Today was the second time in a week some one has been completely oblivious to me laying on the damn horn today was the worst cause I ended up halfway in the median... Idk. Maybe there is something else we need to do to make other vehicles see/here us? When I take the Jeep or the 350z out I can see other GE and GD fits just fine. Its what ever. At least I know the fit would make a decent rally car in an emergency. Handled pretty well in the bumpy grass.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member
Wonder if anyone on this forum knows what my solution to this problem is

Old 10-03-2011, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vinnymac
Lol tell me. Cause after wanting to rear end that bitch I'm all ears..

Old 10-03-2011, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vinnymac
lol yeah diddnt you put 4 of these on your car, 2 in front and 2 in back?

Old 10-03-2011, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Java^FiT
I do remember that. But IDK if that'll help my situation. I'm feeling the 12 gauge in the rear window decal cause the people deserve to be shot..

Old 10-03-2011, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
Plus the oem horn too!!

Old 09-15-2012, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
I dont think a full write up was done but heres the diagram I made when i did mine

Great diagram but where the heck is the relay?! I really cannot find it....

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator
what do u mean u can't find the relay? in the diagram or in the box?

Old 09-15-2012, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
In the car... where is it? I think i saw a post that said it was hidden inside the bumper beam? when I follow the power from the horn it goes into a plastic tube and then it looks like it goes into the cabin. Is the relay located inside the cabin under the dash?

Old 09-15-2012, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator
no, that relay in the diagram is not part of the car. its a small plastic square that looks like this:

your hellas should have come with it in the box. i have Fiamms and mine came with it. u then follow the diagram above on how to wire the horns to your car.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:25 PM
5 Year Member
Ahh gottcha... Only problem now is to find the stock horn lead wire... Know where that is?

Thanks and +rep for you

Old 09-15-2012, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator
thanks.

it's the plug that connects to your OEM horn. IIRC its purple and has horizontal copper female lead. just look at it.

what u do is, the wire that your supposed to connect to the plug from the relay, u crimp on a small spade connector. small enough that it can fit that little plug, and u cut off the other half of the spade so that it can go in. i wrapped it with electrical tape, for some water protection. no need to splice or tap into the stock wiring.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xxryu139x
thanks.

it's the plug that connects to your OEM horn. IIRC its purple and has horizontal copper female lead. just look at it.

what u do is, the wire that your supposed to connect to the plug from the relay, u crimp on a small spade connector. small enough that it can fit that little plug, and u cut off the other half of the spade so that it can go in. i wrapped it with electrical tape, for some water protection. no need to splice or tap into the stock wiring.
That's actually a brilliant idea, i don't know why i didn't think of that when I installed mine. Great Tip!!

Old 09-17-2012, 03:51 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i found that the small space male connector is the same width as with some speaker spade connectors. if you have any polk speakers laying around, check the wires that came with your package. chances are the smaller spade will fit right into the stock horn wire. that's what i used on mine.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Does anyone wanna make me a step by step walk through? I don't understand what's going on here. LOL

Old 09-20-2012, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
People people people...it's really not that difficult if you have even the slightest knowledge of DIY, Wiring or just common sense. If you can't figure out the diagram, don't even open your hood. I'm not trying to be rude or harsh but its just really not a good idea to mess with wiring in a vehicle that is almost all managed electronically if you have no idea what your doing.

I don't mind giving some pointers and basic advice and helping explain my diagram further but if you need more help than that I advise against doing this yourself.

Essentially a summary of steps (Anyone that has installed these, if I missed a step let me know...just rattling these off):

Disconnect Battery
Remove Radiator Shroud and Grille
Remove stock horn and put to the side
remove plastic piece protecting latch mechanism
Drill hole for 2nd horn where there is a circular indentation on the opposite side of the latch mechanism
Cut lengths of wire, attach connectors and run wires as shown in diagram
Find place to mount relay and run all wires to relay, battery, horns and stock horn lead. (either splice into stock horn lead or use small spade connector to attach to pin in the stock connector.
Bolt up the horns
Make sure you put a fuse in the in-line fuse holder going to the battery.
Attach battery leads back on battery
Cover ears and test horn
Assuming everything works, re-install all plastic pieces and close hood (Will have to trim the latch mechanism plastic cover to fit properly)
Done

Old 09-20-2012, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member
People people people...it's really not that difficult if you have even the slightest knowledge of DIY, Wiring or just common sense. If you can't figure out the diagram, don't even open your hood. I'm not trying to be rude or harsh but its just really not a good idea to mess with wiring in a vehicle that is almost all managed electronically if you have no idea what your doing.

I don't mind giving some pointers and basic advice and helping explain my diagram further but if you need more help than that I advise against doing this yourself.

Essentially a summary of steps (Anyone that has installed these, if I missed a step let me know...just rattling these off):

Disconnect Battery
Remove Radiator Shroud and Grille
Remove stock horn and put to the side
remove plastic piece protecting latch mechanism
Drill hole for 2nd horn where there is a circular indentation on the opposite side of the latch mechanism
Cut lengths of wire, attach connectors and run wires as shown in diagram
Find place to mount relay and run all wires to relay, battery, horns and stock horn lead. (either splice into stock horn lead or use small spade connector to attach to pin in the stock connector.
Bolt up the horns
Make sure you put a fuse in the in-line fuse holder going to the battery.
Attach battery leads back on battery
Cover ears and test horn
Assuming everything works, re-install all plastic pieces and close hood (Will have to trim the latch mechanism plastic cover to fit properly)
Done
Or, you can get a couple of bracket pieces from Home Depot and mount the horns to that and then attach the bracket to where the stock horn went. And if you do it just right, it should be low enough to clear the plastic cover so that you don't have to trim it. This also avoids drilling holes into the Fit itself... since you can make the bracket mount BOTH horns at the same time.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:01 PM
5 Year Member
The following wiring diagram appears to indicate that the stock horn is kept "in the circuit" when Hella Supertones are installed.

Is there a reason to keep the stock horn wired-up?

I have a Fit Sport, so after installation of the Supertones I'd still like the alarm to work, and I'd like the "door lock beep" to work.

I dont think a full write up was done but heres the diagram I made when i did mine

Quick Reply: Hella Supertones in a GE8...Please help!