Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Hella Supertones in a GE8...Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member
Hella Supertones in a GE8...Please help!

Hey everyone, so after installing my Accord Low Horn as a replacement for the Meep Meep stock horn I am still desiring louder! So i went and ordered the Hella Supertones Dual horn kit.

I have no questions about wiring this up and getting them to work, but I do have some questions regarding mounting.

To either side of the latch mechanism there are black brackets secured to the radiator support with two bolts and then have a third bolt securing some sort of sensor that is attached to a wire harness.

What are these sensors and do you think it is safe to mount the horns off of these brackets, for instance if i remove the sensors temporarily to drill another hole to mount a bracket to attach my new horns to. This would allow the best placement of the horns but I don't want to set off my airbags or anything when removing these brackets or when the horn blows.

See the pictures below for reference to the bracket i speak of.
(Note: these are not my images, they are from other threads and i re-purposed them so i can show the placement of brackets.)

Last edited by Java^FiT; 02-07-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
Mods, please move this to ge8 specific section. thank you.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:17 AM
5 Year Member
No one knows what these are??? Please help!

I looked through the entire ge8 esm and i cant find it anywhere and almost all illustrations are of the rhd model which uses a different front end so they are not there. Please help me out. thanks!

Old 02-08-2011, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
best guess is the impact sensors for the airbags.

personally, i'd just leave them alone and grab a couple of pieces of metal and make a new bracket and attach that to the current mounting point... actually, I think someone already did that.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
That is what i was thinking, but i'd much rather use an existing bracket bolt instead of drilling extra holes into the rad support... I get the horns today, i will see what i can come up with and post later on.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:29 AM
5 Year Member
So i finished installing the HELLA Supertones and they rock, i put the accord horn where the alarm horn was and it sounds great too, diddnt even need to remove my bumper.

i ended up drilling a hole on the left side basically in the same spot where the stock horn goes so that they would be symmetrical.

Here are some pics...(Sorry about the quality, they're from my phone)

Old 02-28-2011, 06:03 AM
5 Year Member
I was looking at getting a pair of these. Any chance I could get further drilling and install instructions? Do they show through the grille at all? With my Black/Red scheme going on, I'd actually prefer that they did just a bit.

Thanks,
Indie

Last edited by theindiearmy; 02-28-2011 at 06:07 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:11 AM
5 Year Member
Damn we did this at the exact same time, I guess I had quit searching for install stuff when I was doing mine. Goobers was right. They are impact sensors (don't eff with em). I drilled into that brack where the stock horn was mounted. On the other side there was a indent in the metal almost symetrical with the original so i just drilled it out. I then put a hole in the seam above the horn but below the grill for the relay and it worked out perfectly.

Now for indie , I can email you pics or do a write up on the install on here what ever. It really wasnt that hard. Just a few female spade connectors, inline fuse holder, 12 gauge wire, and 30 amp fuse. I also had to get two bolts one the same size as the one holding the stock horn on and another smaller for the relay when i mounted it. Drilling wasn't that bad as long as you have a decent drill and bits. But like I said, i'll probably get the pictures up and do a write up since no one has done it in detail yet. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:13 AM
5 Year Member
Oh and they don't really show through my grille unless you are level with the honeycombs.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jamy
Goobers was right. They are impact sensors (don't eff with em).
Actually, Java^FiT did mention it in the first post.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
Actually, Java^FiT did mention it in the first post.
He didn't actually mention them exact,y but he did say something about setting off airbags so I shall give credit. I was thinking about doing the same thing he was, but wasn't risking deploying airbags so I just drilled it.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:52 AM
5 Year Member
Hey Java where is your relay mounted?

Old 02-28-2011, 10:10 AM
5 Year Member
Hey Java where is your relay mounted?
I have it mounted inside the bumper beam so elements can't get to it, just used a zip tie through the two holes in the metal support in the middle. I also drilled that same indent, its almost like it was meant for it.

I was also planning on doing a full write up but I need to take my grill off again to take better pictures, it was late and I was rushed when i finished the project so I didn't have time.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:15 AM
5 Year Member
A write up would be awesome! =)

Old 02-28-2011, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
I have the pictures and everything need I just haven't sat down and done it. And yeah I was thinking the same thing when I drilled it out. It seemed a little too perfect to be coincidence.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
Indie if you can give me till tomorrow night or so. Java and I are gonna try and get our stuff together and combine it to get as good of a write up as possible. I just have a geology test tomorrow as well as some Autocad projects to finish . But hopefully sometime tomorrow night we should have something up and running.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member
Indie if you can give me till tomorrow night or so. Java and I are gonna try and get our stuff together and combine it to get as good of a write up as possible. I just have a geology test tomorrow as well as some Autocad projects to finish . But hopefully sometime tomorrow night we should have something up and running.
Probably more like this weekend so I can take more pictures with the grill off...

Indie - have you bought them yet? or are you just feeling it out for when you do? If you haven't yet, I would say just pick up the set and by the time u get them, we will have this writeup done.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Sorry to bring this thread back to life guys but was a write up ever made? I'm interested in installing a set of hellas but I'm just about a noob when it comes to wiring things up :/

Old 09-29-2011, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by clownassasin
Sorry to bring this thread back to life guys but was a write up ever made? I'm interested in installing a set of hellas but I'm just about a noob when it comes to wiring things up :/
I dont think a full write up was done but heres the diagram I made when i did mine

Old 09-29-2011, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the diagram but sadly I can only understand half of it lol oh well, to Google I go! Oh and do you mind giving me a list of extra things I may need to buy (wires, fuses, etc.) And also what tools am I gonna need( I'm more concerned about soldering lol do I have to do any of that?) And thanks a lot Java!

Quick Reply: Hella Supertones in a GE8...Please help!