Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

anyone installed Mugen Visor

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 04:53 AM
5 Year Member
T-bone: Except for the leading edge of the front, and the trailing edge of the rear, which seem to be formed as intakes and exhausts, are the lower edges of the visors flush with the window?

I looks to me, only having seen pictures, that the visors are designed to use the lower pressure of the air rushing by the visors, especially the one at the rear, to really suck the air into and out of the car through the vents. If the lower edges of the visors are flush with the glass, except for the openings in the front and rear, this should work fairly well, without adding much wind-noise.

Sorry about stating the same simple question eight different ways, but when you aren't very smart, it's tough to get your point across...

Old 07-06-2006, 09:13 AM
5 Year Member
Yes, the lower edge is flush with the window. There is actually a little rubber strip to make sure that there is a good seal with the window.

I tried my best with my cellphone to get a picture of this:

I think this is one of the cooler features of the Mugen visors. The Honda Access visors don't have this feature.

You should be able to find a ton of Mugen stuff in Bangkok. That's where I got mine from.

Old 07-06-2006, 10:01 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
are these attatched with double sided tape or what?

Old 07-06-2006, 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sLiVeRwOrM
are these attatched with double sided tape or what?
double sided tape and also the clip which is held in by the rubber window lining.

Old 07-06-2006, 10:13 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
Alright awesome.. so in a few years there won't be anypart of them falling off eh? like you see on so many ghetto GMCs and Chevy 1500s..

Old 07-06-2006, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member
I hope it doesn't come off easily. The double sided tape was really strong.

Old 07-06-2006, 10:22 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
alright well i hope not also..

Old 07-06-2006, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
Here is the scanned Mugen instruction booklet.

Cover Page

List of Contents and Required Tools

Number 7 is the packet of the toluene cloth.

This last page shows that the window needs to be low enough to let the air in when the visors are installed.

Last edited by t-bone; 07-06-2006 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
Thank yOu for your help I installed mine today!!! It is so cool!! T-Bone thank you for all your pictures and help!!!

Old 07-06-2006, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sy11580
Thank yOu for your help I installed mine today!!! It is so cool!! T-Bone thank you for all your pictures and help!!!
No problem. That's what this forum is for right?

Old 07-06-2006, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by t-bone
Yes, the lower edge is flush with the window. There is actually a little rubber strip to make sure that there is a good seal with the window.
Great, thanks for the info. So if I am right, while driving at a decent speed, with the fan switch on the lowest position, you should notice a difference in airflow through the dash vents with the rear windows cracked vice closed.

You should be able to find a ton of Mugen stuff in Bangkok. That's where I got mine from.
Yes, but right now my shopping list is a little short. I only plan on getting the visors, LED tailights (red smoke), and a red badge for the hatch. I don't want to get too much stuff, only to find I can't buy the car come December. All the threads about having to wait and the non-availability of the MT have got me worried and looking at alternatives. I'm sure I could sell it on e-bay, but I would hate to buy too much stuff and not be able to get the car for which it is intended, and that I really want - Storm Silver Sport MT!

Old 07-06-2006, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BKKJack
Great, thanks for the info. So if I am right, while driving at a decent speed, with the fan switch on the lowest position, you should notice a difference in airflow through the dash vents with the rear windows cracked vice closed.
I notice air coming from my dash vents even with the air switched to OFF and only the front windows cracked down to the Mugen visor seal.

I'm not entirely sure what you are asking about though.

Last edited by t-bone; 07-06-2006 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
Does the glass get scraped by those metal clips?
I once had visors with clips, and it always rubbed glass/metal.

Old 07-06-2006, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jimmy101
Does the glass get scraped by those metal clips?
I once had visors with clips, and it always rubbed glass/metal.
Nope it does not get scraped because the rubber sealing that the window goes into surrounds the metal clips preventing any chance of scraping.

Old 07-06-2006, 11:03 PM
So the authentic Mugen pieces attach with tape and clips. That's disappointing, I was hoping it would just be clips. My Honda Access visors on my DC4 Integra were just clips, granted I had to cut into the weather stripping and drill 1 or 2 holes, no tape was needed.

I just don't want the residue left by the tape if I ever decided to remove them. Don't know how effective Goo Gone would be on tape that's been adhered to black rubber.

Old 07-06-2006, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
I notice air coming from my dash vents even with the air switched to OFF and only the front windows cracked down to the Mugen visor seal.

I'm not entirely sure what you are asking about though.
All my cars have either had a sun/moonroof, or rear flip open vent windows. Tilting the roof or opening those vent windows increases the flow of air through the dash vents without having to turn on the fan. The Fit has neither a sun/moonroof, or the vent windows, so I am looking for a work-around. Based on what you have said, you found it for me.

Next time you are tooling down the highway, close windows and turn the fan off. Feel the air coming out of the vents. Then crack open the rear windows. You should feel a pretty significant difference in the airflow. That's what I am looking for. I like lots of air. You don't get the noise or aerodynamic waste of windows down, and on those borderline days, you don't have to use the a/c.

Old 07-07-2006, 08:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BKKJack
Next time you are tooling down the highway, close windows and turn the fan off. Feel the air coming out of the vents. Then crack open the rear windows. You should feel a pretty significant difference in the airflow. That's what I am looking for. I like lots of air. You don't get the noise or aerodynamic waste of windows down, and on those borderline days, you don't have to use the a/c.
On my way to work today I drove with the air switched to OFF, vent switched to outside air, front windows down to the recommended level to allow air flow, and the rear windows closed.

I noticed a good amount of air coming in through my vents. Then I opened both rear windows just a crack and noticed the air flow from the vents decrease.

I think it's because of the design of the Mugen visors already optimize airflow for just the front windows to be slightly open. You don't need to crack open the rear windows to get more airflow. The fit also allows air to flow out the rear hatch too so this may assist in good airflow already. Opening the rear windows a crack may disrupt the laminar flow I think.

Old 07-07-2006, 09:18 AM
Someone that Posts too much
My front visors don't actually touch the window.. which i like because i don't want it to scratch up the glass

we did the install slightly differently, we did the tape first then clip them in place afterwards...

-joe

Old 07-07-2006, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sillypuddy
My front visors don't actually touch the window.. which i like because i don't want it to scratch up the glass
Mine get close and just barely touch the glass. If it were to touch the glass I don't think it would really scratch it though. That portion of the visor is soft and rubbery.

Originally Posted by sillypuddy
we did the install slightly differently, we did the tape first then clip them in place afterwards...
I guess since I did it alone I found it hard to hold everything exactly in place while removing the tape. That's why I put the clips and the window lining first which kind of helped hold the visor in place while I removed the tape.

Old 07-07-2006, 06:06 PM
Someone that Posts too much
my mechanic did the whole install by himself, but then he installed like 5 sets of honda access / mugen ones already :-)

-joe

Quick Reply: anyone installed Mugen Visor