Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

replacing 07 coil packs

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 01:29 PM
recommended ignition coil?

Ok...i have the same "Jerky Fit" issue that you guys are describing. I have an 07 Fit with 120k miles.

What brand/part do you guys recommend using a ignition coil replacement? I'm seeing prices range from $25-$125. I also see that the OE part 30520PWC003 has been replaced with 30520PWCS01, but I'm not sure why. Is there any reason not to buy the old 30520PWC003 part? Will any new interchangeable replacement work just fine or does it need to be a high quality part? Please let me know your thoughts.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:46 PM
You might want to try pulling the boot off, cleaning any corrosion, put it back together, and use a thin coat of dielectric grease between the boot inner wall and ceramic portion of spark plug before replacing. It sounds like some people had success that way. As far as quality goes for aftermarket vs honda oem coil packs I think the jury is still out

Old 03-26-2013, 03:45 PM
Thank you. Cleaning the boot and using dielectric grease helped for a while, but the issue came back. I'm thinking that replacing the coil packs would be a more long-term solution, but I'm not sure what the best buy would be considering all of the different options out there and the huge price range. I've found great deals on the old OE part, but i'm thinking that maybe that is a bad move...not sure.

Originally Posted by CTCT
You might want to try pulling the boot off, cleaning any corrosion, put it back together, and use a thin coat of dielectric grease between the boot inner wall and ceramic portion of spark plug before replacing. It sounds like some people had success that way. As far as quality goes for aftermarket vs honda oem coil packs I think the jury is still out

Old 03-27-2013, 08:54 AM
I'm considering the AIRTEX WELLS coil pack as it has specific language in the description about the problem we are facing.

Airtex engineers nested a black plastic sleeve made of high-dielectric strength material inside the larger secondary winding in the DIS coil to prevent the current from jumping from winding to winding - making it no longer the path of least resistance - coil and module life extended!

Features:

Highly conductive aluminum towers
Segregated secondary bobbin
Precision wound copper primary winding
High dielectric sleeve (improvement over OE)
Benefits:

Extremely low secondary coil resistance
The best winding conductivity and durability available
High voltage output
Minimizes internal shorting
Longer coil life
Reduces ICM (ignition control module) stress

Old 03-27-2013, 09:28 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

^^^ Interesting find.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by jeffdrobinson
I'm considering the AIRTEX WELLS coil pack as it has specific language in the description about the problem we are facing.

Airtex engineers nested a black plastic sleeve made of high-dielectric strength material inside the larger secondary winding in the DIS coil to prevent the current from jumping from winding to winding - making it no longer the path of least resistance - coil and module life extended!

Features:

Highly conductive aluminum towers
Segregated secondary bobbin
Precision wound copper primary winding
High dielectric sleeve (improvement over OE)
Benefits:

Extremely low secondary coil resistance
The best winding conductivity and durability available
High voltage output
Minimizes internal shorting
Longer coil life
Reduces ICM (ignition control module) stress
I'd like to know, from Airtex, how they're different from others, not necessarily some absolute parameters. Why don't they describe test data, or life data, or say that their "black plastic sleeve..." thing is a new design and an improvement. The way it's worded it could describe and old design, a common tactic in marketing and sales. One Honda tech told me Honda stock coil packs are different between old and newer builds and essentially improved. I have nothing to back up that claim though. Bottom line, this quote from airtex is nice, shiny, polished wording and it could mean nothing.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:49 PM
which one did you guys end up getting? i'm looking to replace mines, but all i can find is the old part 30520PWC003 on ebay.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:59 AM
Hitachi IGC5003

I highly recommend that you choose the Hitachi IGC5003. Hitachi made the original OE parts. You can buy their after market part for a fraction of the price at RockAuto.com. I bought generic coil packs and then I had significant issues. So I bought 4 Hitachi IGC0053 coil packs and 4 OEM NGK iridium spark plugs and the Fit has been running great now. The IGC0053 coil packs are about HALF the price of the Hitachi coil packs you will buy at the dealership....and IMHO...they are the SAME part.

Originally Posted by 97civic123
which one did you guys end up getting? i'm looking to replace mines, but all i can find is the old part 30520PWC003 on ebay.

Last edited by jeffdrobinson; 05-08-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by jeffdrobinson
I highly recommend that you choose the Hitachi IGC5003. Hitachi made the original OE parts. You can buy their after market part for a fraction of the price at RockAuto.com. I bought generic coil packs and then I had significant issues. So I bought 4 Hitachi IGC5003 coil packs and 4 OEM NGK iridium spark plugs and the Fit has been running great now. The IGC5003 coil packs are about HALF the price of the Hitachi coil packs you will buy at the dealership....and IMHO...they are the SAME part.
Ok. I was looking at the $90 aftermarket ones on ebay, instead of paying $225 for the Hitachi but I guess I have no choice.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:07 PM
I think Honda replaced the old OE part with a new OE part because of quality issues with the 1st OE part...i have no proof of that, but based on all of the issues that fellow FitFreak members have had with these coil packs it stands to reason. I recommend either make sure you get the newer OE part number (30520-PWC-S01) or go for the Hitachi IGC0053 part that you can find at RockAuto.com for $53.

Originally Posted by 97civic123
Ok. I was looking at the $90 aftermarket ones on ebay, instead of paying $225 for the Hitachi but I guess I have no choice.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
My Fit recently had the stuttering problem come back at 90K km, after 30K km of trouble-free driving.
Following the advice in this and other threads on this forum, I tried cleaning and greasing the coil packs. This fixed the problem for me - the Fit has been running perfectly since the cleaning 1 week ago. I will post a follow-up message if it doesn't last.
Total investment - $35 for contact cleaner, dielectric grease, a microfibre cloth, and anti-seize compound for the retaining bolts.
Thanks a ton to all who take the time to contribute to Fit Freak, and make it the amazing resource that it is!

Old 08-14-2013, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
Update - cleaning and regreasing old coil packs did not last.
After a couple of weeks the stuttering problem returned. I installed one new OEM Hitachi coil pack. Problem was not not resolved. I installed a 2nd Hitachi coil pack. That did it - the engine has been idling normally for around 1 month. There is still 1 coil pack that has 92 000 km on it, will probably change it out at the next major servicing, 100k km I believe.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:30 AM
Another member with a 2007 (base) Fit at 155k and the stuttering problem.

Went to local dealership, diagnosed with misfire on coil #4, paid ~$280 CND to replace it and seemed fine for a day or two but the problem is still there. The dealership is quoting $600+ to replace the remaining coil packs, which they claim are common problem in these cars.

Unwilling to pay for what may not fix the problem, I resorted to an online search. This is a great resource, nice job guys! I'm gonna take a stab and doing this myself. From reading here, first step is to take the coil packs out, clean and apply some Dielectric Grease. That should keep me going for a while. In the meantime, I'll search for some replacement coil packs and plugs.

From what I read, the current recommendation (jeffdrobinson) is to go with

4 Hitachi IGC0053 coil packs and 4 OEM NGK iridium spark plugs

Any other recommendations? The prices online vary quite a bit. The part that dealer installed was 30520-PWC-S01 but not sure the make, I will check when I try to clean them all. The price at the dealership was $107 CND.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:36 PM
dhk
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Coil packs

I have an '08 GD3 with 75000 miles and have been having the "stuttering" problem for a few months now. I replaced the coil packs with the updated OEM Honda parts along with the spark plugs. Easy to do, and problem solved.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:57 PM
An update to my post on " 09-13-2013"... I did end up buying replacement coil packs in a local shop (I actually ended up buying 3 different brands) as well as replaced the spark plugs with E3 Diamond Fire ones. Total cost for parts was just over $200. Dealership was quoting $600+ for coil replacement alone. It was very easy to do and the car has been running flawlessly since (4 months now). I now have 3 different coil pack brands running at the same time, but had no problems. Anyone having the stuttering problem, definitely recommend giving this a try.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:08 AM
Originally Posted by JCrimson
heres what I know,

Your engine harness has a specific plug order, not the coil pack. this goes for coil pack plugs and fuel injector plugs also.

I have a complete L15A engine for sale. I would probably be willing to sell you the whole set of coil packs cheaper than what you can get them for new. i would even label them with tape with numbers on the tape and take pics for you if want to make 100% sure they are correct. PM me if you are interested.
Hello I see this is an old thread. But any chance you know where I can buy an ignition coil plug harness for a 2007 honda fit sport MT

Old 05-23-2014, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by makufit
Hello I see this is an old thread. But any chance you know where I can buy an ignition coil plug harness for a 2007 honda fit sport MT
I bought mine off carpartking it was one of the cheaper alternative shipping it to Canada.

I replaced mine last week, and the stock coil pack was burned all the way to become orange/brown color!!! Replaced it with the Hitachi one, and it helped a lot. HOWEVER, it still misfire at idle and occasionally while cruising.

I'd say it is now back to how it was 1 year ago when it first begin mis-firing... Anyone have any other suggestions on what to do now...? I bought 2 more spark plugs, planning to replace the plug that was under the burned coil pack.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member
In addition, does anybody know if your coil packs can be bad and not getting a CEL at the same time? I am getting a similar stutter on the highway at like 55-60 mph mostly under low throttle.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitguy07
In addition, does anybody know if your coil packs can be bad and not getting a CEL at the same time? I am getting a similar stutter on the highway at like 55-60 mph mostly under low throttle.
Yea, you won't be getting CEL unless you floor it to redline, if it misfire a couple of time around 4000-7000 rpm, then the CEL will kick in. Happened to mine in the past 6 months. So i had to drive under 3k rpm to prevent the CEL from coming up.

If your CEL came up and you drive slow, after a week or so the CEL will turn off again. So it looks like you are having the exact same issues... Not sure how bad yours it right now, but most probably you can take out all of your coil pack and see which one look worst than other.

Mine looked SEVERELY burned by the time I replace it after it misfired for like a year. lol

Old 05-23-2014, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
I have had my car over 5000RPM plenty of times since I've had this shudder. And, I've had no CEL yet. Maybe my case just isn't severe enough yet to trigger the CEL?

Quick Reply: replacing 07 coil packs