Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Replaced Front Brake Pads, Rear Drums Now Squeak

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Replaced Front Brake Pads, Rear Drums Now Squeak

I have a 2007 Honda Fit sport with ~64k miles on it (80% highway).

A friend and I and just replaced the front disk pads from the originals to Hawks, we elected to kept the original rotors/disks as they looked in relatively good condition.

In anticipation of replacing the pads, at the last oil change I had them replace the brake fluid.

After we replaced the pads, the brake pedal is noticeably softer now than it was before. I now have to press the pedal close to the floor where before, all one had to do was touch the pedal and you were kissing the steering wheel. From what I can research, it sounds like the a bleed of the brake system is required. Thoughts? Comments, suggestions?

My other concern is that a noticeable short squeak is now coming from the back wheels when I release pressure off the brake pedal. I spoke to an auto hobby mechanic and they said, that because I had new fluid added in, when combined with the new pads the brake system is applying additional pressure on the rear drums causing the sound. They said not to worry about it that it was normal and that if I was wanted, I could remove the cover and just clean the springs to get rid of the noise. Is that true? Does that make sense?

I greatly appreciate any and all help. Thank you.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like you need to bleed the brakes for sure.

Did you change the rear drum shoes at the same time?

Old 12-09-2011, 04:30 PM
Negative, we never touched the rear drum shoes.
Which adds to our confusion...

Old 12-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Does pumping the brakes bring the pedal up?

Old 12-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Nope.
Drove it on the highway for ~35 miles during light traffic. Still soft.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
I would pull the rear drums, lube the areas where the shoes rub on the backing plates, ADJUST the STAR WHEEL on the rears tighter, and put it back together.

++++++++++++

PS: when you installed the new front pads, did you clean and lube the caliper's sliding pins?

Did the new pads fit loosely in the stainless edge guides? If not you may need to remove them and either file the edges of the backing plates to make them loose, or remove the SS guides and file the corrosion out from under.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
It makes sense that the rear brakes would be getting more of a workout than before you bled the system. The new pads have to be worn (compressed)... you will apply more pressure, initially, to get the performance you had before... the rear brakes will be taking a greater load than before. Give yourself some time to wear (compress) the front brakes in. If you continue to have the same problem, then the bleeding of the system was not done correctly, leaving air in the system... bubbles that have to be compressed for the brakes to function. Compressing air takes more of load (foot pressure) than fluid itself. I, personally, would never bleed brakes and change my pads at the same time, since problems can't be pin-pointed to the bleeding or the pads. I prefer to change pads, wear them in, then change fluid. I can't believe that the rear brake squeaks have anything to do with the bleeding or new front pads, unless your increased foot pressure to stop is causing the rear drums to heat up too much and causing them to stick.