Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

coil pack problem... my plan on the cheap

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
coil pack problem... my plan on the cheap

So here is a 2007 honda fit and i have the same rough idle problem everyone else seems to have. at about 50k miles the car developed a rough idle at startup, only startup from a cold start... after a few thousand miles it started to die at only cold start up. Once the motor is warmed up it seems to be fine.

So reading through the various posts etc. i figured it must have been the dreaded coil pack problem. So at about 70k miles i checked out my coil packs. 1 of the 4 was discolored and nasty. So i bought one pack and replaced it. seem to do the trick for a few hundred miles. then the rough idle and stall returned. So i just dealt with it... if i let the car warmup a while the engine seemed to be fine. now that i am a hair to 100k the problem seems to be worse, like one time accelerating onto the freeway and the engine cut out.

So i have ordered a set of 4 coil pack boots from jc whitney for 60 and am waiting for them to come in. But in the mean time i accidentally broke one of the coil pack retainer bolts. Which i luckily removed, thank god for the part of the bolt that was exposed and for needle nosed vise grips. so i replaced the bolts with some random oreilly bolts (2 of the 4).

now for some random reason the stall and rough idle seem to be gone. a serious wtf! but its only been a day, so we shall see what happens. but i plan on changing out the coil pack boots. I'll take pics etc. and keep everyone posted. I only made this because no one has really replaced just the boots and given serious updates. so hopefully i can here, and maybe save someone a few bucks if it works.

*BUT i won't replace the boots until the stuttering and stalling return. its only been a day with the new bolts. and for some reason she started right up and was great this morning! Which is a big deal because this was everyday... driving out a few hundred feet, idle gets rough and then dies.

so we shall see. just wanted to add my .02 (sorry about the FRAT)

Old 05-05-2012, 03:18 AM
5 Year Member
ok so here is a bit of an update.... the stalling problem in the morning as well as the rough idle seem to have disapeared for me. Its been what, 2 days a couple cold starts that would normally cause a stall.

nothing. inspecting the coil pack retainer bolts i noticed that the new bolts are a pinch shorter. almost the distance of a washer. So my speculation is that for my car maybe the spark plug/coil pack distance is just a bit off. And adding the new bolts to two coil packs made them slightly closer to the spark plugs. Which would make sense since my car only really had problems on a cold start... a warm engine causes metal to expand so maybe it closes that slight distance when warm and has that slight gap when cold.

i know i sound crazy and this is a bit premature, but i just wanted to share. I'll add pics of the bolts (old compared to new). I also plan on replacing the other two with new bolts.

*FYI my car is a 2007 Honda Fit Sport with Manual transmission and around 98k miles. But this rough idle and stall at cold start has been a problem for a LONG TIME...

Old 02-24-2014, 06:19 AM
Gloryhound. Any update on if changing the boots fixed the problem?
Im about the i change the biits on my '01 to help remedy the dreaded shudder.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:29 PM
This clears up my issue. I just purchased my 2007 Honda Fit Sport (manual) and upon cold starts it shakes VERY minimal, but looks like I'll have to buy coil packs to get ahead of the game.