Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Whirring sound after tire rotation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 11:51 AM
5 Year Member
Whirring sound after tire rotation?

A few days ago, I noticed that my front two tires were basically bald so I bought some new tires. After getting them mounted, the new tires were rotated to the rear and the back ones were moved to the front. The tread on the rear tires are pretty good so I was happy with my purchase. As I was leaving Good Year, I noticed a whirring sound once I hit 40+mph from the front right of the car (if I had to guess). I brought it back to Good Year and one of the guys said that my front right tire was cupping and had a separated belt. I called the place that I bought my rear tires from (DiscountTiresDirect) and used my warranty and got a free replacement. After changing out the front passenger tire today, I'm still hearing a small whirring sound (though it's not as loud as before). What gives?

I was thinking it might be a wheel bearing. Any other suggestions? Would warped rotors have the same sound when accelerating? Also, if it IS my wheel bearing, how much is that going to run me to get fixed?

Old 06-28-2012, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
maybe

could be bearings....how many miles are on it? I had a whirring sound and needed mine replaced due to shitty roads in NJ.

honda qouted $600 and I buckled and went to an independt after I ordered OEM parts.

Should went Honda: $80 bucks per bearing and they need to be pressed. Wheel sensors run the risk of being damaged during the replacement process and each one runs $100. I thought I was saving a few hundred...my sensor broke and now even after replacement I dont have ABS.

Moral of the story: if you plan on replacing bearings, let Honda do it.

then again the whirring could be the treads of your new tires....happened to me with some Kumho's I had and it sounded like a plane was overhead when I hit certain roads

Old 06-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
What kind of front and rear tires do you have now? Look on Tirerack or another tire site and see what their noise ratings are. Some tires' tread designs are substantially louder than others.

You said your two original front tires were "basically bald," so the noise could be from the fresh tread on your tires, since you had none left on the bald tires. You probably got used to quiet tires and the new ones are louder.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
Does your car need an alignment? Maybe your toe is out. Also are the tires matching? Couple ideas

Old 06-28-2012, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for your quick response.

I originally had two Yokohama s-drive tires in the back while the two bald tires in the front were stock. Once the stock once were crappy, I replaced those with two more Yokohamas.

The '07 Fit has around 55k miles on it and the tires, which are directional, are mounted and installed correctly from what I saw.

I do not believe I need an alignment since when I let go on my steering wheel, I can cruise straight for miles.

I'll drive around some more tonight and take a listen. It might just be my paranoia and overthinking.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
After driving up to the East Coast Honda Meet, my passenger said that she could hear it too. I'm just going to take it into the shop and get my wheel bearing checked out tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Santiad
could be bearings....how many miles are on it? I had a whirring sound and needed mine replaced due to shitty roads in NJ.

honda qouted $600 and I buckled and went to an independt after I ordered OEM parts.

Should went Honda: $80 bucks per bearing and they need to be pressed. Wheel sensors run the risk of being damaged during the replacement process and each one runs $100. I thought I was saving a few hundred...my sensor broke and now even after replacement I dont have ABS.

Moral of the story: if you plan on replacing bearings, let Honda do it.
How long does it take to change out your wheel bearing?