Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

HID Installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
Has anybody tryed to use a "casper shield" with a regular DS2 or DSR bulb, and if so do they have a cut off picture

Old 08-03-2006, 07:28 PM
Why did you take the bumper off? I mounted both of my ballasts in the fender well behind the fender lining on both sides

Old 08-03-2006, 10:36 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by ChrisG
Why did you take the bumper off? I mounted both of my ballasts in the fender well behind the fender lining on both sides
that fender well didn't really bend that good. and it only took a minute to take the bumper off.

Old 08-04-2006, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
Very nice write up with pics!! I'M JEALOUS!!!! I did both a regular HID instalation and a HID retrofit on my old 96 integra before and the difference is enormous!! You really can see that sharp cutoff difference if you had projector headlamps...our halogen ones give off too much flares on the side and above, the pattern of light is so scatterred...I really hope that some sort of aftermarket projectors will be made, so far the Fit light housing seems too big to retrofit a projector...doesn't look right...oh HID goodness...!!

Old 08-04-2006, 12:36 AM
OK enough people have commented on glare and the problems of HID kits, not only are they not good for other drivers, but they also come in obnoxious colors and many don't have quality parts like OEM components have.

My personal belief is that if you're going to spend the money, and if your true interest is better lighting, you should really do a retrofit. The projector focuses the light and not only do you not blind oncoming drivers, but the light is aimed where you need it more- projectors spread light out farther to the sides and front better than a reflector based setup. A true HID enthusiast would know there's a right and wrong way to do it...

Anyways go ahead and buy what you want, but remember that you will get more unwanted attention than with a retrofit, you may affect other drivers night vision, and you ruin it for those that got a proper retrofit when the police crack down on HID lighting.

I have tried more than 5 different halogen lights and an HID kit on my Accord and after spending a few hundred dollars toying around with the halogen housing I realized that the output of the HID kit was actually comparable to a better designed halogen bulb and the halogen was safer for other drivers as well. I wish I had just saved my money and bought some Xtravisions or Vision Plus bulbs instead of buying the kit. I would have been able to afford a Fit retro much easier.
End rant.

I'd honestly recommend joining hidplanet.com's forums, or even buying the BRAND NEW OEM sets that hidplanet.com sells.

Old 08-06-2006, 08:30 AM
Here's my higt pics from about 20 feet away from a way, and on a slight incline, so it looks a bit weird, yeah i know it's not a 100% perfect cut, but it's alot better then without the H4 adapter rings, which is a shield to help give a better cut.

and here are teh pics though from current retro-fit project, where i will have a perfect cut with HID projector once i'm done, which might be awhile.

Old 08-07-2006, 12:02 AM
tohm,

that light pictured is from the hidexpert's kit? its very similar to the casper's sheild that is talked about a lot on HIDplanet.com.

a few people have suggested to paint the shiney part of the adapter or have it dull like the casper adapter to reduce glare.

how is the light difference to stock in your opinion compared to the kit you have now?

Old 08-08-2006, 05:56 AM
What kit i should get to with my FIT

Xenon HID Convension KIT - H1,H3,H4,H7,H11,HB1,HB3,HB4

4500K 6500K 8000K 10000K 12000K

sorry about the type-o*go*

Old 08-08-2006, 07:26 AM
Someone that Posts too much
For those interested in using D2R bulbs with casper shields:

I just installed a set of D2R ballasts with D2R bulbs with casper shields. The light output was not very good, there was a lot less glare, but the reflector scatter the light a little too much for my liking and I ended up going back to my Silverstars.

-joe

Old 08-08-2006, 11:01 AM
did you try d2s? cuz from what i know the casper sheild is meant for the d2s bulbs.... or would it even matter?

Old 08-08-2006, 09:36 PM
i tried both (we have tons of oem hid parts)

-joe

Old 08-18-2006, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
How long did they take to align? I'd go out and check but my fit is still on order haha

Old 08-31-2006, 05:08 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Hey guys, just an update on my HID kit.

On the photos, I installed the passenger side ballast under the hood. Anyone intalling a kit, Please install it under the fender wells. I think mine overheated and crapped out.

So anyway, 3 year warrenty and badass service from the guy who I bought it from. I told him that the ballast went out and he gave me a RMA number. I sent it back Global Priority. 4-6 days. It was like the 5 and 7th day that I emailed the guy asking him if he received it yet. He told me he hasn't. I was like. doh!! I'm not gonna get my ballast for a while! But he told me that he trust me. So he went ahead and sent out another one last tuesday. I received it today Thursday. He said it would take 6-9 business days. I received it in 8 days.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is, the service he does is great. A+. He answers my email really quick. So if anyone is looking for good service, go to this guy on ebay.

I'm going to reinstall my ballast tonight and hopefully I have luck with it working normally this time!

-Tomi

Old 08-31-2006, 08:46 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Okay I got it all fixed up and ready to go. Mounted the ballast the same spot as the driver's side. good stuff! glad I got a replacement. Can't wait to try it in the dark!

-Tomi

Old 09-02-2006, 11:50 AM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
I think the cut off looks fine to me. Honda headlights are known to go crazy when HID's are installed. Normally they project light upward and nothing is on the ground.

Im pretty pleased with the Fit's performance with HID's. Good work.

Xenon HID Convension KIT - H1,H3,H4,H7,H11,HB1,HB3,HB4

4500K 6500K 8000K 10000K 12000K

sorry about the type-o*go*
6000k and under. Do not go above 6000k, anything higher is just color. I suggest 4100-4300k but you probably will think its too yellow. If you have projections 4100-4300k is the way to go.

Thats what Im running on my Mx6 with a retrofit.

Old 09-02-2006, 04:04 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
I think the cut off looks fine to me. Honda headlights are known to go crazy when HID's are installed. Normally they project light upward and nothing is on the ground.

Im pretty pleased with the Fit's performance with HID's. Good work.

6000k and under. Do not go above 6000k, anything higher is just color. I suggest 4100-4300k but you probably will think its too yellow. If you have projections 4100-4300k is the way to go.

Thats what Im running on my Mx6 with a retrofit.
6000k is great. I'm loving mine. Its really white with a bit of blue tint in it. 8000k would be too blue.

Old 09-02-2006, 11:35 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by TomiGunz
6000k is great. I'm loving mine. Its really white with a bit of blue tint in it. 8000k would be too blue.
True about the 8000K, but it also depends on the kit. I had a plug/play kit a few years back and it was 8000k. The color was a polar white with a purple hue. I liked it a lot. And the older it got it barely color shifted. As some know, the older HID's get the more the bulbs color shift and the less light is put out.

I sold it to a friend. That kit is still working great. Some cheaper Korean kit. Its over 6years old!

Old 12-13-2006, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by TomiGunz
Hey guys, No one has pics of installation so I thought I'd bust out to help you Fit Freaks..

would you mind to upload the pics again, i will really appreciate it

Old 12-13-2006, 04:47 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sillypuddy
the glare won't affect you, it's causing a danger to the on coming traffic.. imagine driving with the sun in your eyes.. it's the same thing

you are causing a hazard on the road, that's what the big deal is with glare.. that's why ontario is pushing to ban HID kits, it's too bright in reflector housings

if you see the real hid cars, they all have a very clean cut off.. the light does not shine in your eyes

-joe
that is why i bought phillips.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by gimme
that is why i bought phillips.
philips what?

-joe

Quick Reply: HID Installation