Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

How to change thermostat on Honda Fit/Jazz GD1

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
How to change thermostat on Honda Fit/Jazz GD1

Hi all, I just got my low temp thermostat and willing to install it today. However, I can't find the location of the thermostat. Can someone give instruction to locate the part or picture also will do.

Thank you

Old 12-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Thermostat is located below air filter box. You have to pretty much remove the entire box. After that I'm a bit stumped as to where all 4 bolts are located to remove the housing, how long it took someone to actually do the job, and any tips or tricks to make job a little easier would be appreciated. I'm looking to do this on my 08 Fit Sport probably tomorrow. Pictures would be nice too.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:55 PM
low temp thermostat is useless on small motors!

Old 12-30-2012, 03:02 PM
Just replaced my tstat with 170 degree replacement. Tools that are a must have are Ratchet, 3" & 6" extensions, 10mm socket, flat head, phillips head screw drivers, channel locks, possible needle nose pliers (i didn't need this), and magnet on a stick. I didn't take pictures because it's too cold outside and my hands were too dirty to do so.

2 bolts on air filter housing. Flat head for plastic retainer. Phillips to remove air filter housing from Throttle body. Take filter box out. 2 bolts holding wire harness to engine. Flat head to seperate wire harness from retainer piece. (don't forget to remove hoses by opening clamps and sliding hose off.) Remove main hoses from Tstat housing. 4 bolts on tstat housing 2 on top at far front and 2nd is right under wire harness but can be reached if you move harness up a little which can be accomplished since you unbolted harness from engine. 2 bolts on bottom 1 in middle and 2nd is towards the back almost all the way. Mirror on a stick is needed if you cant find it. 2nd top and 2nd bottom bolts are the hardest to get to. Tap housing if jammed with pliers (not too hard) and it should pop off when you pull. Remove tstat and make sure tstat gasket it there. DON'T LOOSE GASKET. Mine was still ok but I used a little RTV sealant to make sure. Reassemble in reverse order. Run and top off coolant.

I know it's a little vague but if you can't figure out that you need to remove sensor from air filter before taking box out, then maybe you shouldn't be digging into it, let your local mechanic deal with this pain in the a** job that used to take you 10 mins that now takes you at least a half hour just to get it apart.

Any other questions feel free. I'll be checking back in tonight. Wished someone would have at least replied prior to me doing this to inform me of tricks for an easier job but no one did so I did it myself. Good luck to anyone who does give it a go.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
rockauto shows the 170 as the OE, is that correct? what benefit/detriment would be had from going UP to 180 or 195?

Old 12-31-2012, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by okey0
rockauto shows the 170 as the OE, is that correct? what benefit/detriment would be had from going UP to 180 or 195?
Yes 170 is indeed the OE. 172 to be exact. There is no real benefit from going higher nor lower that I have read. I've researched a bit before doing it.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:35 AM
Originally Posted by NJ BluFiT
Just replaced my tstat with 170 degree replacement. Tools that are a must have are Ratchet, 3" & 6" extensions, 10mm socket, flat head, phillips head screw drivers, channel locks, possible needle nose pliers (i didn't need this), and magnet on a stick. I didn't take pictures because it's too cold outside and my hands were too dirty to do so.

2 bolts on air filter housing. Flat head for plastic retainer. Phillips to remove air filter housing from Throttle body. Take filter box out. 2 bolts holding wire harness to engine. Flat head to seperate wire harness from retainer piece. (don't forget to remove hoses by opening clamps and sliding hose off.) Remove main hoses from Tstat housing. 4 bolts on tstat housing 2 on top at far front and 2nd is right under wire harness but can be reached if you move harness up a little which can be accomplished since you unbolted harness from engine. 2 bolts on bottom 1 in middle and 2nd is towards the back almost all the way. Mirror on a stick is needed if you cant find it. 2nd top and 2nd bottom bolts are the hardest to get to. Tap housing if jammed with pliers (not too hard) and it should pop off when you pull. Remove tstat and make sure tstat gasket it there. DON'T LOOSE GASKET. Mine was still ok but I used a little RTV sealant to make sure. Reassemble in reverse order. Run and top off coolant.

I know it's a little vague but if you can't figure out that you need to remove sensor from air filter before taking box out, then maybe you shouldn't be digging into it, let your local mechanic deal with this pain in the a** job that used to take you 10 mins that now takes you at least a half hour just to get it apart.

Any other questions feel free. I'll be checking back in tonight. Wished someone would have at least replied prior to me doing this to inform me of tricks for an easier job but no one did so I did it myself. Good luck to anyone who does give it a go.
Thanks for this I really appreciated it. I know this is really vague, but like you said, if you can't figure out to unplug the air sensor you have no business taking on this job. I am however completely stuck with this complicated wiring harness in my way. I was able to remove some bolts, unplug the main harness, disconnect the ground, and I still was not able to move it. I took care of most of the obvious parts here and I was using a mirror and a flashlight to locate what I was missing on the underside or the back, but no luck. How did you go about moving the harness out of your way to get to the bolts behind it on the Tstat housing? BTW, I am working on a 2007 Fit, I'm not sure what year yours was. Thank you!

Old 03-15-2013, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by K0v3rt
Thanks for this I really appreciated it. I know this is really vague, but like you said, if you can't figure out to unplug the air sensor you have no business taking on this job. I am however completely stuck with this complicated wiring harness in my way. I was able to remove some bolts, unplug the main harness, disconnect the ground, and I still was not able to move it. I took care of most of the obvious parts here and I was using a mirror and a flashlight to locate what I was missing on the underside or the back, but no luck. How did you go about moving the harness out of your way to get to the bolts behind it on the Tstat housing? BTW, I am working on a 2007 Fit, I'm not sure what year yours was. Thank you!

I'm having the same problem. I've gotten to the point where I'm unable move the wiring harness out of the way so that I can get to the last bolt on the thermostat housing. Did you (or anyone else) figure this out, and can let me know what I'm missing?

Thank you.

Old 02-05-2022, 02:42 AM
Thermostat gd1 2003

I got a bad thermostat on my 2003 dg1 fit... Spare parts shop are asking me a reference for the thermostat... But i dont know and i must drive my car everyday for work... Any1 got the ref number???