Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

2003 Fit engine change

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 07:16 PM
2003 Fit engine change

Hello everybody
I bought a Fit for my ma in 2006. In 2011 my brother borrowed it and it threw a rod on the freeway (don't ask). So I deceided to learn about the car, bought a used engine from a used car dealer and swapped it out. The swap took the better part of a year (LOL). But now that its finally in it just doesn't want to start. Injectors pulse, I get spark and sometimes it kicks and runs for about two three seconds and then just dies like its not getting any fuel. When I floor it and try to start It acts like its not timed right. I've checked CKP sensor, TPS, TDC most everything on there and no go. Real head scratcher this. I took the injectors out of the head, reconnected the fuel rail to the fuel supply and clicked on back the pigtails and cranked and got perfect spray. Looked at the plugs and they were black and sooty but still sparked when I grounded plug and the coil to the head. I can't remember if the MIL light is supposed to remain on when the ignition is on but the engine is not running. That is the case. I hear no weird sounds coming from the engine - no clicks or bangs, lol...
Someone help me please!

Old 01-15-2013, 05:36 AM
The engine is a L13A, the new engine came with no sensors - so I had to swap the old engine's sensors in. Just before I took the old engine out, I started it. It ran with the busted rod and made the hole in the block even bigger, but it ran. The new engine came with no crankshaft pulley either, and it was hell getting the old one off (1" ingersall rand air wrench couldn't break it free) Had to resort to a 14 foot bit of pipe and a truck size breaker bar. I'm guessing that the only way I could have messed up the timing is while I was putting the pulley on the new engine, but I made sure the key was aligned with the slot on the timing gear before I put the pulley on. I don't know what I'm doing wrong...

Old 01-15-2013, 09:53 AM
Can only crickets help me?

Old 01-15-2013, 10:00 AM
I don't know that I can be too much help, but here goes....

It sure sounds like you have some basic timing problem with the new engine. I'd suggest carefully double-checking that you have the injectors and spark coils wired up properly (that you haven't, for instance, reversed the cylinder numbers when connecting them up—something that is far too easy to do accidentally). I'd also do a quick check to make sure that the appropriate pistons are actually at top dead center when they should be, that the camshaft and the crankshaft are properly synced up.

If you could get a good OBDII scanner and check the readings from all the little sensors, that might be helpful too, just to see what the computer thinks is going on.

Good luck. It sounds like an interesting (if sometimes frustrating) project.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:45 AM
Are you attempting to use an i-DSI L13A?

Pictures would tell us more than you could with an essay.

Are you using the L15A injectors on the 1.3L? There's a great number of things that could be going on.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:17 PM
Dang, DiamondStarMonster, that's a scary avatar...
It was the Camshaft Position Sensor. When I was hooking up the loom I inadvertently forgot to connect it. This thing has been sitting down for six months just because I forgot to click on a wire. The thing is, I remember thinking "why doesn't this thing have a CPS?" Because the service manual says it doesn't have one. I went to the guys I bought the engine from and they said, "Well, from what you told us there's two things you could check. One, there's a bolt under the throttle body that holds the loom to the block. If that is loose, then there's no way the car would start - its actually a ground. Secondly, there IS a CSP sensor on that model, look if its cracked or broken." Well I checked, and sure enough that was not connected. Rectified that and it started right up.

I have another question. there is another sensor right below it that also isn't connected to anything. But I can't find any connector for it. The new engine came with a loom too, so I looked at both looms and no connectors for that sensor. What is it? Gonna try and post some pix. For all those that answered, thanks alot!

[IMG]file:///E:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/Desktop/IMG00126-20130116-1208.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-16-2013, 12:19 PM
Guess the image thing didn't work. As a newbie I can't post attachments, so....

Old 01-16-2013, 12:22 PM
You need to host it on a site like imageshack or photobucket, upload from your computer to the host and then post the link here.