Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Help with o2 sensor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 02:28 AM
Help with o2 sensor replacement

Okay,

I'll spare you the details. Getting inflated qoutes 700+ that sort of thing.

My o2 sensor has gone bad, upstream. I bought a code reader and managed to isolate which one it was and get it out(Image linked below).

So... I don't know the first thing about cars. If this were a computer part I'd go to newegg.

If you could tell me where to find(or how to find) this part or an equivalent that is less than $160 I'd appreciate it. Normally, I don't ask for help on forums, but Google hasn't really been turning up much information on my Fit.

2008 Honda fit sport MT

Thanks for any help.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:37 AM
5 Year Member
Honda SENSOR, AIR FUEL RATIO - Bernardi Honda Parts and Accessories

Prices are going to be around 200. I've not seen them cheaper and do not go with aftermarket.

Last edited by BlueCell; 03-30-2013 at 02:48 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BlueCell
Honda SENSOR, AIR FUEL RATIO - Bernardi Honda Parts and Accessories

Prices are going to be around 200. I've not seen them cheaper and do not go with aftermarket.
^^ X2. The Honda sensors are supposedly "wide-band" and cheaper generic O2 sensors DON'T WORK.

That said, Rock Auto has the OE Denso 2349060 sensor for $143 + shipping.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:43 PM
5 Year Member
Yep, rock auto has the OEM one for $143. RockAuto Parts Catalog

Rock auto is the "newegg" of the automotive world.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
For some reason images won't show on my computer. :/ But if you're saying upstream, then I'm going to assume that it's the upper o2 sensor connected to the header. It is actually super easy to replace, the dealership is just trying to rip you a new one.

I know the other guys advised you not to buy replacements, I do advise to get oem too but when my upstream o2 went bad because of bad fuel the dealership was charging me close to $300 just for the sensor. I got a great deal for an NGK o2 sensor half the price of the oem one, and it's been holding up good for months now.

Not saying that you buy NGK, but it's your choice. I recommend OEM and NGK.
And just do the install yourself, save you a lot of money.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jmsplitfyre
And just do the install yourself, save you a lot of money.
Just make sure you have a proper O2 sensor wrench

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...=oxygen+sensor

Old 03-31-2013, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
When you do install the new one, do not forget to put a spot of high temperature anti-seize on the threads. It just takes a little bit. Do not put any on the end of the sensor or on the first two threads. Usually there is a small package of anti-seize in the box with the oxygen sensor. I have had to resort to heating a few of them to get them loose. Most come loose without heat.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:32 PM
5 Year Member
You might want to look at the 9th posting down on this page:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ml#post1172273

Old 03-31-2013, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
RockAuto.com for any auto parts.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for all the help. New sensor is ordered and on the way.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:36 AM
Hi guys, I know this is a very old thread, but I just wanted to chime in -- in case anyone searches for O2 sensor replacement on their Fits. I have a 2008 Fit with 104,000 miles on it. Got a check engine light and sure enough, it was the P0135 - O2 sensor.

I ended up going to Carparts.com for the O2 sensor without the replacement electrical harness. Essentially, you have to splice in the old electrical harness. I loosely followed this guy's video:

Here's the link to the part: http://www.carparts.com/details/Hond...f-7282f2567beb (it is a Denso...stamped right on the sensor!)

I did it myself and it cost less than $30, but I wouldn't wish this on my worse enemy. It was a B*TCH to get to. The video recommends removing the O2 sensor from below, but I had to do it from up top. Plus I had to "rent" from Advanced Auto the O2 sensor socket set to get it out. Even the electrical harness was tough to remove.

Bottom line, this can be done, but make sure you have the appropriate tools and patience; it took me about 3 hours total.

I've been driving for months on this replacement O2 sensor and all is good

Old 03-11-2021, 06:43 PM
I did the upstream O2 today and it is a huge pain to get at. My son helped me get the clips off and I thought I'd share my removal method. I got the O2 socket on, then my ratchet. Then I used a 2x2 cut to the appropriate length along with a jack. I wedged the 2x2 between the ratchet handle and the jack and raised it. This broke the O2 loose and I could do the rest by hand. Hopefully that might help someone in the future!

Old 05-25-2022, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by scottbikesalot
Hi guys, I know this is a very old thread, but I just wanted to chime in -- in case anyone searches for O2 sensor replacement on their Fits. I have a 2008 Fit with 104,000 miles on it. Got a check engine light and sure enough, it was the P0135 - O2 sensor.

I ended up going to Carparts.com for the O2 sensor without the replacement electrical harness. Essentially, you have to splice in the old electrical harness. I loosely followed this guy's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht1LV5R3z9Y

Here's the link to the part: http://www.carparts.com/details/Hond...f-7282f2567beb (it is a Denso...stamped right on the sensor!)

I did it myself and it cost less than $30, but I wouldn't wish this on my worse enemy. It was a B*TCH to get to. The video recommends removing the O2 sensor from below, but I had to do it from up top. Plus I had to "rent" from Advanced Auto the O2 sensor socket set to get it out. Even the electrical harness was tough to remove.

Bottom line, this can be done, but make sure you have the appropriate tools and patience; it took me about 3 hours total.

I've been driving for months on this replacement O2 sensor and all is good
Yea I watched that guys video and my 07 has a cover of some kind blocking it from the bottom. It looks like the top would be the only way but I can't even see it from the top, how did you get to it? I can only even see it from the bottom.
I've no problems soldering the harness together if I can get the dang thing off!

Originally Posted by TheHammerFit
I did the upstream O2 today and it is a huge pain to get at. My son helped me get the clips off and I thought I'd share my removal method. I got the O2 socket on, then my ratchet. Then I used a 2x2 cut to the appropriate length along with a jack. I wedged the 2x2 between the ratchet handle and the jack and raised it. This broke the O2 loose and I could do the rest by hand. Hopefully that might help someone in the future!
How did you get to it, from the top or the bottom? Have to remove anything? I've no idea how to access it at all, I see it but it's buried

Old 12-15-2022, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by alilgoat
Yea I watched that guys video and my 07 has a cover of some kind blocking it from the bottom. It looks like the top would be the only way but I can't even see it from the top, how did you get to it? I can only even see it from the bottom.
I've no problems soldering the harness together if I can get the dang thing off!

How did you get to it, from the top or the bottom? Have to remove anything? I've no idea how to access it at all, I see it but it's buried
I have the same problem. Did you get it from the top? Nearly impossible from the bottom. I can put my socket on the sensor from the top but there's no place for the ratchet. I ordered a shorter socket from Amazon but I doubt that there will be enough space to break the sensor loose. Took a while to figure how to disconnect the sensor and removing the connector from the bracket as shown in the video. Unfortunately that's the only video showing on to replace it. Any advice? Thanks!