Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Getting info before I head to a mechanic: The differential.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 11:10 PM
Getting info before I head to a mechanic: The differential.

Hi all, I'm hoping to get some information before I head to a mechanic, so I know at least a little about what's going on.

My girlfriend owns a 2008 Fit Sport, and has been having some trouble with it after hitting a tire and rim at 70 mph. A friend looked at it and told us the front driver side shock was bad, and would replace it for us.

Once he got in there to replace the shock, he realized that the CV axle may also be bad, along with whatever the CV axle connects to (the differential?). It seemed the the gear in the diff had worn down thanks to the bad CV. Once he saw all that, he told us it was time to take it to a professional.

Now, I've found how to replace the CV, and the costs involved, and doesn't seem like too big a deal. But I can't find any information on what it actually attaches to on the inward side, or what's involved to repair it.

Can some one let me know what it is? Assuming it's the differential, can it be removed worked on without removing the transmission? And can it's individual parts be replaced easily, or does the whole diff need to be replaced if the connecting gears are ground down?

Sorry for the super vague information, and thanks for the help.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:38 AM
5 Year Member
Assuming the car is automatic?

The differential #1 is INSIDE the trans. More likely one of the bearings #7 have been damaged by the impact.

I'd say that is a transmission-out repair. Note that whenever the diff or its carrier bearings are removed, the endplay and backlash have to be set with shims. Having all the different shims you need can be tedious (unless a vendor lets you buy a selection and return any unused ones).

Does your GF have comprehensive insurance? I'd be inquiring to the insurance co.

Also, I'd be tempted to just replace the halfshaft before tearing into the trans.