Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

2007 Fit sport automatic jerking

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 09:09 PM
2007 Fit sport automatic jerking

For the last 1/2 year or so, my car has been jerking at various times. It seems to happen most going uphill at a slight include around 60 MPH. I thought it might be an issue related to the transmission, but it sometimes would happen when the car wasn't moving, such as being stopped at a stop light.

I did notice that if the car seemed to be jerking when the car wasn't moving, and I put the car in neutral, the car would no longer jerk.

Now that it is warmer, I noticed that the car jerks much more (when not moving) with the air conditioner on. I turned the air off (and kept the fan on), and the jerking slowed down or even stopped.

I've had the car to the Honda dealer several times, and they haven't been able to reproduce the issue or figure out what the issue is.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Dennis

Old 06-16-2014, 09:39 PM
Have they checked the spark plugs and coil packs?

Old 06-17-2014, 06:40 AM
As far as I know, they did not. I have the car in the shop again on Thursday and I'll have them check.

Thanks!

Old 06-17-2014, 08:40 AM
I called the dealer. They said that if there was a misfire or a coil issue then the check engine light would go on. I suggested that maybe the check engine light is broken...

Would it have to come on if there were coil or plug issues?

Old 06-17-2014, 09:15 AM
5 Year Member
Long shot: Bad engine mount. Might help explain why jerking happens when in gear but the car is not in motion.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:20 PM
Same problem; was the coil pack

Originally Posted by skipole
For the last 1/2 year or so, my car has been jerking at various times. It seems to happen most going uphill at a slight include around 60 MPH. I thought it might be an issue related to the transmission, but it sometimes would happen when the car wasn't moving, such as being stopped at a stop light.

I did notice that if the car seemed to be jerking when the car wasn't moving, and I put the car in neutral, the car would no longer jerk.

Now that it is warmer, I noticed that the car jerks much more (when not moving) with the air conditioner on. I turned the air off (and kept the fan on), and the jerking slowed down or even stopped.

I've had the car to the Honda dealer several times, and they haven't been able to reproduce the issue or figure out what the issue is.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Dennis
I had the very same issue, except it worsened rapidly, over a few weeks rather than six months. But every symptom you describe was the same. One of the coil packs needed to be replaced, and he's been running just fine since then. (Currently at 181k+).

Old 06-25-2014, 02:36 PM
Despite the fact that the dealer said it could not be a foil pack (because the check engine light wasn't on), it was. Fortunately, I had the car there at a time where they could replicate the issue.

They also said that a spark plug was bad and suggested I change them all out. Good thing they checked again because they were all good and they had all been replaced about a year ago.

Takahiro: I am looking forward to the 181k+. I am currently around 119k.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
Don't mean to sound too dumb by posting everywhere the result of my humble diy, but my car was very rough, with very low mpg and the ECU seemed to behave absurdely (from the O12, O22, LTFT and STFT my scangauge was measuring). Then I read to check and clean the EGR valve.

Well the car now is running really smooth. If you didn't yet check it, perhaps it's worth a try.

HTH,

Old 07-08-2014, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by skipole
Despite the fact that the dealer said it could not be a foil pack (because the check engine light wasn't on), it was. Fortunately, I had the car there at a time where they could replicate the issue.

They also said that a spark plug was bad and suggested I change them all out. Good thing they checked again because they were all good and they had all been replaced about a year ago.

Takahiro: I am looking forward to the 181k+. I am currently around 119k.

How much did they cahrge you? Itemize amt would help me negotiaite my prices. I have the same issue!

Old 07-08-2014, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jazzista
Don't mean to sound too dumb by posting everywhere the result of my humble diy, but my car was very rough, with very low mpg and the ECU seemed to behave absurdely (from the O12, O22, LTFT and STFT my scangauge was measuring). Then I read to check and clean the EGR valve.

Well the car now is running really smooth. If you didn't yet check it, perhaps it's worth a try.

HTH,

what are EGR valves?

Old 07-08-2014, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
(EGR) Exhaust Gas Recirculation. Does pretty much what it sounds like. The valve allows exhaust gases to recirculate back into the combustion chamber to be completey burned.

If you want more info, click here - Exhaust gas recirculation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-08-2014, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
Most likely coil packs.