Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Fit shaking and losing power after changing spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 03:21 PM
Unhappy Fit shaking and losing power after changing spark plugs

Hello!

First time posting, but have definitely been stalking the forums for a while. Had to join after the forums helped me figure out the shuddering/hiccup problem! I have a 2007 Honda Fit Sport with ~104,000 miles on it.

Back story on my issue is that I changed the spark plugs on Saturday morning. Everything seemed to be fine, but yesterday I filled up about five gallons in my tank on my way to work and it started shuddering a little while idling. Figured that the next logical step would be to replace the coil pack, as suggested. Planned on doing that soon.

Husband took it out last night and said the check engine light came on. This morning on my way to work, the check engine came on and started FLASHING (very distracting).

Then my poor Fit began feeling like it was losing power, like it wasn't getting enough power to the engine and it was also shaking while idling.

After reading through some things on here, I decided to post and ask if anyone else has experienced this? Is it just bad gas (I did go from high octane to mid-grade when I filled up on Monday)?

Thanks!

Old 07-22-2014, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
Did you torque down the spark plugs properly? I had the spark plugs and coils changed from a mechanic, and he didn't torque them down properly. I only found out once my coil packs completely quit, and I pulled 'em out and the coil pack for cylinder 3 had gas around it, and the spark plug was really loose. So check that out as well.

I, as well as others, have had the same symptoms (flashing CEL, shaking, loss of power), and it all leads to coil packs.

If you're going to replace the coil packs then I highly recommend going OEM. Rockauto.com sells them for $50 a piece (HITACHI IGC0053).

Good luck!

Old 07-22-2014, 04:35 PM
Awesome, this is great advice. I will be checking the spark plugs when I get home (and the engine has cooled).

As it were, I'd be really happy if it was the coil packs. I've been telling everyone that for four months almost. I figured it had to be that since the CEL was coming on. That and the hiccup/shudder that I was experiencing has now turned into my car feeling like it may explode. It's really comforting that based off of everything I've read here that I was right and that other people had had this problem.

Thank you so much for the coil recommendation. Did you replace all of them or just one? A random mechanic we met at AutoZone told us that the Fit should tell us exactly what coil has gone bad. I would rather replace all of them and call it day.

Last edited by lilfitlady; 07-22-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
All of them. Because there's a likely chance that the rest of them are on their last legs. It's best to replace all of them in the long term.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
Man, it seems like almost every 07 Fit has had this damn coil pack issue. I haven't had this issue yet.

Maybe I'm lucky or maybe the dealer replaced them at 52K right before I bought the car.

It's messed up that Honda isn't replacing these free of charge under a recall or TSB or something.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitguy07
Man, it seems like almost every 07 Fit has had this damn coil pack issue. I haven't had this issue yet.

Maybe I'm lucky or maybe the dealer replaced them at 52K right before I bought the car.

It's messed up that Honda isn't replacing these free of charge under a recall or TSB or something.
Apparently it's like an oil change for us. Except at like 80k mile intervals.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ikutoisahobo
Apparently it's like an oil change for us. Except at like 80k mile intervals.

I liked the good ole' distributor cap and wires. I kind of miss having to make sure the firing order was correct from the dizzy to the each cylinder. On older Hondas it was an easy upgrade to replace stock ignition wires with performance Nology hot wires.

Do they even make performance coil packs?

Old 07-22-2014, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
What codes did you get with the Check Engine Light and what spark plugs are you running?

NGK Irdiums (IZFR6K13 to be specific) is what Honda provides as a replacement spark plug. Denso spark plugs (SKJ20DR-M13) were also used in some Fits as well.

Presuming you are running on of those spark plugs with the correct gap, I'd do ikutoisahobo suggested and check if the spark plugs are properly tightened as well as inspect the coil packs to ensure that they are seated, connected and secure.

As for coil packs, sure you can replace them all and be done with it but make sure that you go with a good quality coil. The Hitachi coils from Rockauto are a steal compared to what you'd pay for effectively the same coil from at a Honda dealer. If the misfire/stuttering persists you'd have to do a little more diagnosis to pinpoint the issue... It could be valve adjustment (wouldn't hurt to do at 104k miles if never done), could be injector(s), could be bad batch of fuel, etc (not saying that this is the problem but listing off possibilities).

Originally Posted by Fitguy07

Its not a recall since it isn't a system fault (like fowled spark plugs on Variable Cylinder Management equipped Hondas) or major safety issue that could cause injury to vehicle occupants and traffic/people near by (like the combination light switch wire which could overheat and lose low beam).

Old 07-23-2014, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by Hootie
What codes did you get with the Check Engine Light and what spark plugs are you running?
The code that we got was #4 cylinder misfire. The spark plugs are the NGK Irdiums. Took out and put back in the spark plug and that seemed to help a little, leading me to believe that it was loose in addition to the coil pack issue. The CEL is still on and flashing as of this morning, however, it's definitely better than it yesterday and better than it was BEFORE the spark plugs were replaced. They needed it. They were shot.

Car is still shaking/shuttering/hiccuping, just not as bad. My car doesn't feel like it's going to explode while idling, but it's still having this hiccup issue.

I'm going to buy those Hitachi coils today from Rockauto and hopefully get them ASAP. If it's still happening after the coil packs are replaced, I'll definitely be doing a more in-depth diagnosis.

Thank you all so so so much for your help! This has made me life easier and made me happier since I'm not shelling out a lot of money to have a mechanic fix this. I'll report back once the coil packs come in.

UPDATE: I'm so happy that ikutoisahobo and Hootie recommended Rockauto. I got them shipped next business day to me for about 60 bucks less than it would've cost me to pick them up at AutoZone. I've never been so happy to fix up my lil Fit!

Last edited by lilfitlady; 07-23-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lilfitlady
Hello!

First time posting, but have definitely been stalking the forums for a while. Had to join after the forums helped me figure out the shuddering/hiccup problem! I have a 2007 Honda Fit Sport with ~104,000 miles on it.

Back story on my issue is that I changed the spark plugs on Saturday morning. Everything seemed to be fine, but yesterday I filled up about five gallons in my tank on my way to work and it started shuddering a little while idling. Figured that the next logical step would be to replace the coil pack, as suggested. Planned on doing that soon.

Husband took it out last night and said the check engine light came on. This morning on my way to work, the check engine came on and started FLASHING (very distracting).

Then my poor Fit began feeling like it was losing power, like it wasn't getting enough power to the engine and it was also shaking while idling.

After reading through some things on here, I decided to post and ask if anyone else has experienced this? Is it just bad gas (I did go from high octane to mid-grade when I filled up on Monday)?

Thanks!
First, make sure the plug wires actually go to the coil pak that it should, then check plug tips to see what their firing conditions are.
If you have access to a code checker use it to investigate. After you let is know what they are, ...

Old 07-24-2014, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
Swap #3 and#4 coils and see if the cylinder #3 begins to misfire.
I have been fixing cars for many years but today I using the small torque wrench to tighten the spark plugs.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:12 AM
5 Year Member
First, always get the codes read, instead of assuming anything.

Second, When the check engine light is on, the car is likely to be wasting fuel, polluting excessively, causing premature part failure, or perhaps all three. Driving around for a short time until you can set up an appointment is no problem, but continuing to drive for months or years is a bad idea. If the check engine light is blinking rhythmically, there is a problem the computer thinks may cause damage to your car. If you notice a blinking check engine light, you do not need to stop in the middle of the bridge and call a tow truck (like you would with an oil light), but you do need to stop driving as soon as practical. Whether the check engine light is solid or blinking, it's a good idea to drive gently.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:24 AM
5 Year Member
The engine that misfires due to ignition problems will damage catalytic converter.