Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Slow tire valve leak, replace TPMS valve + stem yourself?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member
Slow tire valve leak, replace TPMS valve + stem yourself?

I found this "TPMS Service Pack" from Amazon
Amazon.com: VDO SE54190 TPMS Service Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: VDO SE54190 TPMS Service Kit: Automotive
Youtube videos seem simple enough to do this yourself. Can I just deflate my tire, then replace the TPMS assembly with new valve/stem parts while keeping the same sensor part? The only tool I am missing is an accurate torque wrench for the nut, but this is not exact science right (even for TPMS)? I could just go light on the torque and progressively tighten it up little by little, and check it using soapy water. Any problems to watch out for? I don't need the TPMS reading to be exact either, just within the ballpark to warn me when tire pressure is getting too low.

Also, I've had another tire on the fit that did the same, which I took to a tire shop and got charged $35 to replace the TPMS assembly. I just don't want to be doing it again and haggling with the guy, if this is something I can fix by dismounting the tire and replacing the valve stem. thanks

Last edited by fitowner10; 09-08-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:08 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
as long as the tpms transmitter doesnt fall inside, i guess.

if it's just the valve core then it's easy to do. any one can do it.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:17 AM
Reseating the tire bead might be a pain in the ass or impossible depending on the tire with just a regular air pump. How do you plan to debead and reseat? Going to use lighter fluid and a match if it doesn't pop in with air?

Honestly I'd just bring it somewhere and i'm all about DIY. Way more trouble than $35 is worth.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
Can I wrap a ratchet strap on the tire and pump? like this:

Old 09-09-2014, 09:08 PM
The ratchet strap method works, at least sometimes, but it might take many many tries or you might find you're just out of luck. With a compressor, it's not quite such a bad deal if it takes awhile; but with a hand pump, you can get a very good workout.

You presumably want to be careful to remount the tire in the same orientation as before so as not to mess up the balance of the wheel. That shouldn't be too big of a deal.

I unmounted/remounted a tubeless tire once—it was the front wheel on my lawn tractor. Once was plenty for me! Perhaps a car wheel and tire is a little easier, being larger diameter. I didn't have any trouble getting the bead to seat and seal—it was the getting the tires on and off that was the hard part for me. I also put the new valve stem in the wrong way around at first, but luckily caught that before putting the tire on. That did make me feel rather foolish.

Getting the tire to unseat from the rim can be tough, too. The ghetto method is to lay the wheel down and carefully drive onto the sidewall a bit with another vehicle, though I suspect this is not good for the tire—not really a concern if you're replacing the tire, of course, but that's not your case.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
ok, screw all that, I am paying the $35
it's just that these TPMS valves have a tendency to leak after some time, I kinda wanted to not have to go to the tire guy every time this happens, which I fully expect it to happen again.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by fitowner10
ok, screw all that, I am paying the $35
it's just that these TPMS valves have a tendency to leak after some time, I kinda wanted to not have to go to the tire guy every time this happens, which I fully expect it to happen again.
Yeah good call man. On shorter sidewall tires like 55 series and lower GOOD LUCK seating the bead. On a big 70 series tire or something it's pretty simple, but the shorter the sidewall the more of a pain in the ass it is.

None of my TPMS valves have had leak problems at all in the almost four years i've had my car.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
Wait till you are into your 6th

I used a socket to hand tighten the valve nut yesterday. I used only mild force... but after I did that the TPMS light (not low pressure ( ! ) light) came on... is that sensor broken now? I hand loosened it up a bit afterwards, will the TPMS light reset on its own? how do I reset it?

Will I pass state inspection with TPMS light on?

Last edited by fitowner10; 09-11-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:15 PM
Yeah if you just tightened it you may have cracked the plastic case... it's easy to do. Discount Tire cracked two of my sensors when they swapped them to my aftermarket wheels, I wasn't mad because I know it happens. They replaced them.

I think TPMS sensors lifespan is about 5-6 years anyway like you're experiencing. They're not that expensive so no big deal really. Just inconvenient.

Have to use a tool to see if it's transmitting or dead. Maybe it will go away but i'm not confident that it will.