Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

A/C DEFROST Mode questions,answers, solutions

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 01:00 AM
5 Year Member
i still don't get what this thing does. I tried my defrosters today and the AC didn't turn on with either modes. First i tried it with the front defroster only and the rear defroster only and both of them running at the same time. Maybe the canadian model does this?

Old 09-16-2006, 01:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by koolkevin1107
i still don't get what this thing does. I tried my defrosters today and the AC didn't turn on with either modes. First i tried it with the front defroster only and the rear defroster only and both of them running at the same time. Maybe the canadian model does this?
On my car, I could not get the a/c to turn off in the 2 windshield positions on the rotary switch even if the a/c button was deselected. Mine is a US model.

Old 09-16-2006, 02:01 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
It's not your electric wire defrosters they're talking about, it's the windshield vent mode on your fan vent selector. If you have windshield or windshield/foot vents selected, the AC is turned on even though the AC light isn't on.

Originally Posted by koolkevin1107

Old 09-16-2006, 08:37 AM
5 Year Member
you have to be moving forward for the AC to work... sitting in the car idling won't run the compressor hard enough.... well in my opion.

Old 09-16-2006, 11:51 AM
I bought my fit about 3 weeks ago and the AC has never popped on when i went to defrost. I can still turn it on manually. Whats the deal did they forget to plug in the wire?

I thought it was weird since my RSX always turns the AC on in defrost mode

Old 09-16-2006, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member
it does turn on... the AC light just doesn't go on in defrost mode. Well, unless you push the AC button...

Old 09-16-2006, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
FYI, Most A/C systems will not run with outside temps below about 40 deg. F. There is a low pressure switch in the system that will open to prevent the compressor running. It is possible to go all winter without the compressor running if the temps stay cold even in the defrost mode. So you may think you are running the A/C to lube the seals but you are not if it's cold out.

When its cold out the air can not hold much moisture so the air is very dry when the HVAC system heats up the air to defrost the windows, the a/c is then not needed to dry the air.

Old 09-16-2006, 10:07 PM
I'm not sure that's right (maybe new cars, but not my past Hondas). I've frequently used the A/C in the winter to defrost the inside of the windshield - it goes way faster with the A/C on than just with warm air.

I've always liked the fact that Honda's A/C is not tied to temps - you can use it to dehumidify the air even in cold weather.

JonasM

Old 09-17-2006, 03:04 AM
Originally Posted by iismileyll
it does turn on... the AC light just doesn't go on in defrost mode. Well, unless you push the AC button...
then why does the ligh turn on in other hondas and my acura?

Old 09-17-2006, 03:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vandeetz
That's the problem here... the a/c in the FIT was on in the defrost modes even if you had the a/c deselected.... you could never have it off in those modes... now you can!

Old 09-17-2006, 12:56 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Keep in mind all this information is in the manual. We're not making up the fact that the AC is on in the defrost modes

Old 09-17-2006, 02:22 PM
b17gsr -- Thanks once again for the info. Used your photos and instructions (along with a heavy dose of info from the College Hills guidance on removing the center panel lower cover). I found the info from College Hills, while accurate, is a bit too brief for the first-time DIYer in regards to one or two steps but I didn't manage to break or scratch anything so can't complain too much. By the way... in answer to someone else's post -- I couldn't find ANY way to reach this connector without removing the center panel lower cover -- but its not all that hard.

I used a bit of duct tape to secure the (now disconnected) connector so that it wouldn't rattle around. What's nice about this mod is that it was quick (took me about 30 minutes -- mostly because I took it slow and easy removing the dash parts) AND because it is easily reversed if I don't like the results.

So... two mods down (raising the rear view mirror and now disabling automatic AC on defrost). Now if only the Daytime Running Lights and interval rear wiper would be so easy!

Last edited by htewam; 09-17-2006 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
THANKS! If it were not dark out, I would tear into mine tonite.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by htewam
So... two mods down (raising the rear view mirror and...
Link to the rear view mirror mod?

nm... found it. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/show...ht=rear+mirror

Last edited by kkim; 10-20-2006 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
I too wanted to remove the Auto AC feature. AC probably sucks away 5 or more Lb-Ft out of the 76 available at the wheels, specialy at low rpm. It is a real annoyance when you seach for power in slow traffic, trying to accelarate into a faster lane.

BTY, my MPV has a feature that temporarely disables the AC during hard accelaration. Would there be such a feature in our AT Fit as well?

Old 10-20-2006, 11:40 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
^ Actually, it's not an Auto AC feature, it's just that the Fit turns AC on if you're on the windshield or windshield/foot vent mode. This is because it helps defrosting by removing moisture from the air. So as long as you don't have those vent modes selected and don't have the AC turned on you won't be using the AC

Old 10-21-2006, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vandeetz
The wiring of the switch, see the first photo, it is a second switch, bypassing the first one.

Old 10-22-2006, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
Disconnected mine today. Once the lower climate control cover is removed the plug can be easily unpluged.

Old 11-17-2006, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
Disconnected mine last night while doing the interior light mod by koolkevin1107(https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/show...&postcount=11). Hardest part was getting the cover off without slicing up my hands.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:08 AM
A/C DEFROST Mode questions,answers, solutions

hey guys i read it somewhere that the a/c runs when you turn on the rear defrost......is that correct?
....if so, how can i fix it so that the a/c doesnt come on when i use my rear defroster.

thanks guys

Quick Reply: A/C DEFROST Mode questions,answers, solutions