Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

A/C DEFROST Mode questions,answers, solutions

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 01:16 PM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
stick trick

I had to go through three popsicle sticks. I think my error was when I ran hot water to melt the popsicle which cuased my sticks to bend easier. I ended up placing a napkin over the blad of me pocket knife and finally pulled out the clip on the side. Afterwards, everything was cake. Thanks for the DIY.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:07 PM
I managed to do this on my fit today. Being from Canada I spend most of the Winter with Defrost on, and the prospect of running AC all winter long did not appeal to me.

It took a bit of struggling to get the cover off the heater controls. At first I mistook the lens covers for the clips LOL. I managed to loosen both lenses before I realized I was totally doing it wrong and popped off the cover.

The problem was one of the lenses simply dissapeared into the guts of the heater assembly leaving me with one lens. After some swearing I decided to laugh it off and just put it back with only one lens in place since I had accomplished what I'd set out to do. Now I just lack one silly lens which doesn't seem to do much to the light from the controls anyway LOL

Thanks for the pictures!

Old 12-05-2007, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
KPS
Those picture is a time saver a couple minute and voila done
I put this off last winter but ready for the coming one.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:28 PM
You guys made this an easy mod. Just did mine in near-darkness in less than 5 mins. This will make my life so much easier now that we're into the rainy season. Muchas gracias!

Old 12-11-2007, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for posting the pictures. This was one of the few things that distrubed me about my Fit. But it was an easy 10 minute fix!

The one odd thing, though: The colors of the wires on that connector (black/silver and yellow/silver) did not match the colors listed in the Helm (Honda) Service Manual (black/orange and pink). Not a big deal for this modification, but can I trust the Helm info for other wire colors?

Old 12-13-2007, 08:16 PM
Has anyone found a way around this problem? I use that setting the most and I don't want to be driving with A/C on all the time. This is crap. If I'd known this in advance I would never have gotten A/C installed. Can you let me know if you find a solution or work-around? Thx.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LevonBlueFit08
Has anyone found a way around this problem? I use that setting the most and I don't want to be driving with A/C on all the time. This is crap. If I'd known this in advance I would never have gotten A/C installed. Can you let me know if you find a solution or work-around? Thx.
LOL...read page 3 of this thread.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:19 AM
Got it. Thanks. I read half the thread but hadn't gotten to the good stuff.

The dealership said straight up that there was no way to do this. Is that because this mod messes with the warranty? Either way I'm so glad to see there is a way and will DIY as soon as the Sun comes up.

Thanks again.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LevonBlueFit08
Got it. Thanks. I read half the thread but hadn't gotten to the good stuff.

The dealership said straight up that there was no way to do this. Is that because this mod messes with the warranty?
No, it's because most stealership people are dumb asses.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by spreadhead
No, it's because most stealership people are dumb asses.
I second you on that statment...

Old 12-14-2007, 08:06 PM
A/C mod complete. Worked like a charm. Many thanks to all - especially kps for the pictorial.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:33 AM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
this is a must have mod for anyone who lives in rainy / snowy areas and wants to keep their mpg up.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:04 AM
Just did the mod, works excellent!! The car has power again Thanks

Old 12-28-2007, 11:00 AM
Just did the mod while I was at work. Took less than 5 mins.

Good stuff!

FitFreaks.net > All

Old 01-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by kps
I had a heck of a time removing the cover, following the directions in the iPod link instructions, pushing and prying at the clip from behind after removing the glove box.

It turns out there's an easy way:
1. Remove the screw (duh).
2. Insert a popsicle stick or similar gentle tool between the parts at the screw position.
3. Slide the tool to a point slightly right of center of the vent knob.
4. Lift the free end of the tool up to pry the right clip down and out.
5. Pull the left side down to release the left clip.

EDIT: For completeness, here's the plug to remove:

I hope this is ok to repost...
Just wanted it to be easier to find for others.
Took me forever...heehee
I have not done this yet, but I have hated this since my 7th gen civic! So
its fantastic to see....and wonderful to see it illustrated so well!!!!
more rep to you bud!

oh...and "subscribed"....DUH!

Last edited by Snap Fit; 01-24-2008 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Because I have needed the "edit" button ever since I left my brain in my other car !
Old 01-25-2008, 07:38 PM
part number

anyone happen to know that part number for the connector with the black and yellow wires on it? mine snapped when i was trying to do mine in the bitter cold.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:07 PM
Thank you guys for the pic's, just did mine today, took all of 5 minutes, something I wished i could do since i got my fit was have defrost position w/o a/c, awsome...

hey my parents own a 07 cr-v, which has pushbutton vent positions, but also has a pushbutton a/c
like our fits it also automatically puts on a/c when you are in defrost position,
does anyone know offhand if you can do the same to the cr-v?

Last edited by m-man@sbcglobal.net; 01-31-2008 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:31 AM
Originally Posted by m-man@sbcglobal.net
hey my parents own a 07 cr-v, which has pushbutton vent positions, but also has a pushbutton a/c
like our fits it also automatically puts on a/c when you are in defrost position, does anyone know offhand if you can do the same to the cr-v?
Some Hondas (S2000 and Odyssey I know of, don't know about CRV) allow you to change this behavior. See my post on page 2. It may work on a CRV.

JonasM

Old 05-23-2008, 04:12 PM
That's an excellent DIY, as good as they get. I did mine in about 2 minutes on my lunch break at work. It's been raining here like crazy and the car fogs up fast. When I switch to defog, I hear that AC compressor kick on and it makes me feel sick.
I've gotten 39.5 mpg on a tank without running the defogger/defroster and on the next tank when I turned it on, I only got 34mpg. (All my driving is highway, BTW.)

Old 05-31-2008, 02:05 PM
The same thing bothers me too.

Quick Reply: A/C DEFROST Mode questions,answers, solutions