Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Some questions @ 190k

Old 10-17-2014, 08:18 PM
Some questions @ 190k

Soooo ive got a ton of questions and have no idea where to start. First things first, im not a mechanic. I can however use tools, and follow directions!

So i've got a 07 fit sport (AT), with 191,026 on it. Other then oil, and now my 3rd set of tires, i've had ZERO issues, and ZERO matenience done.

I am the second owner, first owner was a person who worked at the dealership, and would use it just to commute to work. I bought it in 08, with 50,000 miles. I've had it since then.

Now im starting to see some change in power, especially when using paddle shifters, and i've also started to notice my headlights dimming, but im pretty sure im the one who caused that by installed 2x12inch type r subs

I have a list of things I want to do with the fit, and really, i just dont know where to start.

I've used the search bar, and alot of the topics im interested in no longer have working pictures... which is kind of a downer, as im a visual person.

I've got a link on youtube showing a weird RPM issue i've got also .. only 1 person has said anything about it, and he just said 'thats vtec bro'...

the weird rpm issue

So if anyone could take 5 minutes with me for some questions i'd love you forever and ever!

-the list
homemade blue SRI *saw the red ssri thread, and frikkin loved it
spraylat/plastidip my valve cover blue
LED dome light
LED rear hatch light
PJDM tow hook(s) *i think theres a spot in the front, but its round? is there an OEM part for the front that fits?
HID headlights
HID foggers? or something better then what i've got
and finally an exhaust, would love some feed back on that
OHH and a motor swap, once my l15a dies, but that can be another topic for another time.

the above are all things i wanna do, but dont know where to start, and without pictures and links working, its hard to get an idea visually, or to look up part numbers. again, any help would be appreciated

The questions!
How long will my motor last? It still runs great, though, like other users have mentioned, in the cold mornings are a PITA. My solution is to start my car and wait 15 minutes...

If my motor is worth keeping for now, is it worth investing proformance parts? (CAI/SRI intake, exhaust, stuff like that)

When cornering hard, at considerable speeds my car seems to 'push' the opposite direction of turning, IE makeing a right turn, i feel as if im sliding left... someone said its my tires, replaced them and yes, its better.. but still there. How would I beef up my suspension to compensate for that?

I tried to do some DIY footwell lighting using LED flex strips.. and within 1 week of the hot east coast summer the sticky stuff on the strips wound up melting and making a mess.. after cleaning them, and removing.. I now miss them... anyone else do this and have luck or could provide me some assistance?

Oh, I had my carpet replaced a few years back, thought it was me and my boots, and the type of work i use to do.. got it replaced, within a year its crappy again.. is it worth getting another oem replacement? has anyone else had issues with there carpet?

After some research, i've answered my last question, gd3 is what my car is, and gd is a model name or something.. still dont understand but i get it i guess lol.

I also have a problem with my rear hatch, to where i've gotta play with the handle and unlock like 35 times using the fob before the damn thing will open.. how the heck can i fix that?

My goal in all of this, would be to have a bada$$ fit, k20 or k24, with blue accents. blue type r, blue valve cover, all that. I love my fit, and even after 7 or 8 years I dont wanna get rid of it.

Last edited by tbonedude; 10-17-2014 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
I'll help you since I did have your power issue.

You should always get regular maintenance done like your drive belt, ignition coils, spark plugs, air filter, cabin air filter, transmission filter, changing oil, changing transmission fluid and most importantly valve adjustment!

Old 10-17-2014, 08:55 PM
I am a bit of an idiot, we can all say it, I wont be offended... I sware if someone didn't tell me that I needed oil it wouldent be changed..

As far as I know, its got the same drive belt, ignition coils, spark plugs, and valve adjustment as it did leaving the showroom floor... are those things suspossed to be replaced at a certin time?

My filters have all been changed (will have to check paper work for tranny filter, not sure) as i've done them my self.

Oil has been done every 3-5k, I usually change around 20% on my indicator, as thats when it comes on. I never wait past 15% remaining. (fully synthetic and have been since 100k)

Old 10-17-2014, 09:05 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
I would start with pulling the plugs and seeing how they are looking. An rpm drop like that could be a signal sending issue caused by having low voltage, aka, check the voltage coming out of the battery.

Another thought would be to check the coil packs. Quite frequently we are finding out that one will burn out and it raises the resistance and starts setting off all types of issues throughout the car. I had a vtec solenoid and rocker arm stuck code set off all due to a burnt out coil pack.

If you are going to change the spark plugs, perhaps go with any oem s2000 spark plugs. They are colder and sit further up in the combustion chamber which helps get a more even combustion event.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:10 PM
I know what a spark plug looks like normally, what about a 'damaged' one? And I've got no idea what a coil packs is but my buddy should know. Im asuming these are things that can be looked at to inspect for damage?

As for plugs, I was told to put denso's in there..then My mechanic buddy said ngk iridium... so whats fitfreak think?

Battery sits around 12.6 i think it was with the car off, with the car on it was 14.2 solid Ill check again to make sure, battery is like 2 months old, brand new.

For voltage stuff, Should I put a capacitor for my amps/subs or should I do the big 3 upgrade? Everyone says a cap will fix my dimming, but in my research is says its just a bandaid for the problem and that the grounds should be upgraded first to see if that fixes the issue. (for those out there who know subs and stuff, i've got a 3ftcu ported box with 2x type r 12 inch subs, DVC 2ohms each, running 2x amps @ 1000 watt 1 each sub(running 500RMS to each sub, never maxing my volume)

*Reply to @derykisonder, is a drive belt my serpintine belt? Cause I had that replaced about ... 15k? ago. I know I need a new alternator that just started whining figured my subs were pulling too much and started to kill it.. I know from previous experience this could wear my belt, so.. would it be worth getting a new belt again, once i replaced the alternator?

Last edited by tbonedude; 10-17-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member
For ignition coils, an easy test is having the car on with ac and headlights and such so that way it requires more power, if you feel a misfire then it's time to change the coils.

For the spark plugs, you can go with either one NGK are great but some people have reviewed both and said that denso are a little colder(Don't quote me on this!)

And yes the things that I listed have to be changed at a certain time

Cabin and engine air filter - 15,000
Drive belt - 100,000 (Seriously don't quote me on this one!)
Synthetic oil - 5,000
Transmission filter - 35,000
Valve adjustment - 60,000

Old 10-17-2014, 09:34 PM
@derykisonder ty much bro, a list like that is exactally what i was looking for, it will help alot.

Im not sure what a misfire feels like, but i have done things like you say and i can tell you what i've felt...

In the morning, say, a winter morning, im sitting in the car, for about 10 mins or so, waiting for it to warm up, then ill turn on the defrost, and usually my lights are on, and even radio too, listening to the weather/traffic.. i will see an rpm drop, and feel it.. like the car kinda shakes almost, as if it was about to stall, then picks right back up, and stabalizes. it will continue to do this until the blue C indicating the motor is cold goes away..

^^reminds me.. is there a warning light for hot? is it a red H? cause i've never seen one..lol

Im gonna look into a tune up, including the valve adjustment, any ideas on a price round about? i've got about 1 grand set aside right now for car repairs, i've just replaced my wipers, battery, tires, fluids and oil. Now i wanna start doing some more 'advanced stuff'

I've got all the time in the world during the winter season (now until about march) and its when I can make more money also, so I wanna try and get alot of stuff done to my car this winter, time and money arent too much of an issue, but as I said before, im no mechanic lol. all the work will probably be done by me if possible, or a mechanic buddy of mine, done on the side for extra cash (would rather avoid, to save money, and his time frames can be a bit hectic)

Old 10-17-2014, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tbonedude
Soooo ive got a ton of questions and have no idea where to start. First things first, im not a mechanic. I can however use tools, and follow directions!

So i've got a 07 fit sport (AT), with 191,026 on it. Other then oil, and now my 3rd set of tires, i've had ZERO issues, and ZERO matenience done.

I am the second owner, first owner was a person who worked at the dealership, and would use it just to commute to work. I bought it in 08, with 50,000 miles. I've had it since then.

Now im starting to see some change in power, especially when using paddle shifters, and i've also started to notice my headlights dimming, but im pretty sure im the one who caused that by installed 2x12inch type r subs

I have a list of things I want to do with the fit, and really, i just dont know where to start.

I've used the search bar, and alot of the topics im interested in no longer have working pictures... which is kind of a downer, as im a visual person.

I've got a link on youtube showing a weird RPM issue i've got also .. only 1 person has said anything about it, and he just said 'thats vtec bro'...

2007 Honda fit weird rpm issue - YouTube the weird rpm issue

So if anyone could take 5 minutes with me for some questions i'd love you forever and ever!

-the list
LED dome light
LED rear hatch light
PJDM tow hook(s) *i think theres a spot in the front, but its round? is there an OEM part for the front that fits?
HID headlights
OHH and a motor swap, once my l15a dies, but that can be another topic for another time.

the above are all things i wanna do, but dont know where to start, and without pictures and links working, its hard to get an idea visually, or to look up part numbers. again, any help would be appreciated

The questions!
How long will my motor last? It still runs great, though, like other users have mentioned, in the cold mornings are a PITA. My solution is to start my car and wait 15 minutes...

If my motor is worth keeping for now, is it worth investing proformance parts? (CAI/SRI intake, exhaust, stuff like that)

When cornering hard, at considerable speeds my car seems to 'push' the opposite direction of turning, IE makeing a right turn, i feel as if im sliding left... someone said its my tires, replaced them and yes, its better.. but still there. How would I beef up my suspension to compensate for that?

I tried to do some DIY footwell lighting using LED flex strips.. and within 1 week of the hot east coast summer the sticky stuff on the strips wound up melting and making a mess.. after cleaning them, and removing.. I now miss them... anyone else do this and have luck or could provide me some assistance?

Oh, I had my carpet replaced a few years back, thought it was me and my boots, and the type of work i use to do.. got it replaced, within a year its crappy again.. is it worth getting another oem replacement? has anyone else had issues with there carpet?

After some research, i've answered my last question, gd3 is what my car is, and gd is a model name or something.. still dont understand but i get it i guess lol.

I also have a problem with my rear hatch, to where i've gotta play with the handle and unlock like 35 times using the fob before the damn thing will open.. how the heck can i fix that?

My goal in all of this, would be to have a bada$$ fit, k20 or k24, with blue accents. blue type r, blue valve cover, all that. I love my fit, and even after 7 or 8 years I dont wanna get rid of it.
If the engine isn' losing oil it'll last as long as you want. At 200k the parts are starting to show their wear but still works ok.
As for the understeer (9steer right, slide left) you need to check your tires. And you can disconnect, not remove, the driver side AntiSwayBar link to cut back on the undesteer. As for the lock, check if your key is worn out and all you need is a new oNE. BASED ON THE KEY DESIGN, NOT CUT OFF THE OLD ONE.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member

2007 Honda fit weird rpm issue - YouTube the weird rpm issue

-the list
LED dome light
LED rear hatch light
HID headlights

The questions!

If the engine isn' losing oil it'll last as long as you want. At 200k the parts are starting to show their wear but still works ok.
As for the understeer (9steer right, slide left) you need to check your tires. And you can disconnect, not remove, the driver side AntiSwayBar link to cut back on the undesteer. As for the lock, check if your key is worn out and all you need is a new oNE. BASED ON THE KEY DESIGN, NOT CUT OFF THE OLD WORNOUT ONE.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:37 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
ok. a coil pack is what sits onto of the spark plug(replaces the old distributor/plug wires). Pull all 4 of them out and set them next to each other. Usually if you compare them, the one with a higher resistance will have a different coloring than the other two or if you are really misfortunate 2 will look different.

If I remember right the stock plugs are iridium so just pull them out and make sure the gap is within Honda's spec (.038-.044 I believe)

Most the people on the forum recommend IK22 spark plugs from a Honda s2000 because Jackson racing did a bunch of back to back dyno tests back in the day and figured out that these plugs actually made more power throughout the power band.

here is a good link to show what the plugs will look like when they are used up
Spark Plug change DIY - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

SK22PR-M11 is the part number for the denso plugs.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
As for the understeer (9steer right, slide left) you need to check your tires. And you can disconnect, not remove, the driver side AntiSwayBar link to cut back on the undesteer. As for the lock, check if your key is worn out and all you need is a new oNE. BASED ON THE KEY DESIGN, NOT CUT OFF THE OLD ONE.
I've checked as i've got 2 keys and its not my key. I dont think theres even a keyhole on my hatch.. only FOB works. Its something to do internally with the latching system, but I for the life of my cant figure it out.

Like I said before, tires are brand new, and it did help, alot. But I still feel it, even only a little bit. I've herd of that swaybar thing, is that the bright blue cross bar thing in the back seat area I see alot of hatches using nowadays?

Old 10-17-2014, 09:43 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
Rear sway bar goes under the car and connects the two spring perches to help stabilize the rear of the car when turning. looks like this:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...age-5-a-5.html

Old 10-17-2014, 09:43 PM
@kylerwho your post made alot of sense, and the link helps tremendously. Much appreciated.

Ill probably take it apart tomorrow, ill be sure to take pictures if it helps

Could I check resistance with a DMM? like is it idiot proof? IE, +and- terminals lol

Old 10-17-2014, 09:46 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
I believe there are only two prongs in each plug, so it will be rather easy.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:47 PM
Ok, looked at the swaybar link and pictures, thats not what I was thinking about, but that does seem to help with what is my problem, so ill look into that..

Does anyone know what I was refering to? I see alot of hatch backs with a brightly colored metal cross bar type assembly in the rear of the car,in an X pattern, at about the point in which the seats normally fold downwards
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...wiper-mod.html
^^last picture, of the first post, has that cross bar assembly im refering too, whats that and whats it do?
Also, has anyone done that rear jdm wiper mod? It looks too easy, and SEXY. I wanna do it.

**Edit

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...-not-open.html
^^ This user has the exact same issue I have, and heres a video I took of it below

As far as my motor goes, no oil leaks that I know of, I plan to clean out the engine bay this winter, does anyone have tips on doing that/ already done it...
Also, would a cai/sri intake be any advantage @ 190k miles? Would it throw off air/fuel ratios? If so is there a way to fix?

And I've also done a bit of modding if anyone is interested. Specifically my AUX port, I had an issue with what I found out to be AUTOSENSE and basically, theres 5 pins on the internal connector, and all I did was short out pins 4 and 5 togather, now my aux works again perfectly, but doesnt auto switch to AUX when plugged in anymore, not a con to me, actucally a pro.

Last edited by tbonedude; 10-17-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
@derykisonder ty much bro, a list like that is exactally what i was looking for, it will help alot.

Im not sure what a misfire feels like, but i have done things like you say and i can tell you what i've felt...

In the morning, say, a winter morning, im sitting in the car, for about 10 mins or so, waiting for it to warm up, then ill turn on the defrost, and usually my lights are on, and even radio too, listening to the weather/traffic.. i will see an rpm drop, and feel it.. like the car kinda shakes almost, as if it was about to stall, then picks right back up, and stabalizes. it will continue to do this until the blue C indicating the motor is cold goes away..

^^reminds me.. is there a warning light for hot? is it a red H? cause i've never seen one..lol

Im gonna look into a tune up, including the valve adjustment, any ideas on a price round about? i've got about 1 grand set aside right now for car repairs, i've just replaced my wipers, battery, tires, fluids and oil. Now i wanna start doing some more 'advanced stuff'

I've got all the time in the world during the winter season (now until about march) and its when I can make more money also, so I wanna try and get alot of stuff done to my car this winter, time and money arent too much of an issue, but as I said before, im no mechanic lol. all the work will probably be done by me if possible, or a mechanic buddy of mine, done on the side for extra cash (would rather avoid, to save money, and his time frames can be a bit hectic)
A misfire is usually a hiccup on the idle. Let's say the AC is on and if you look at your idle it'll jump up and down.

For that 10 minutes of warming up, if you don't warm up the car will it die on you? If it does then do the valve adjustment ASAP. Believe me when I say this, I had your issue and if I didn't warm it up it'll die automatically. But if you do the valve adjustment you're looking at about 6 hours, they told me 4 hours to cool down the engine and then start working on it.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:44 PM
Yeah, it will stall at least once if i try to drive away, like when i come to a stop sign, or a light. Easier to just wait, and then ride.

Another thing, the rear wiper.. anyone have luck replacing it? I've tried several sizes and brands from the parts store, and non of them fit.. do I really need to go to honda for a super expensive replacement? or does anyone know the actual replacement cost?

Is a valve adjustment something I can do? Or would I need to take it to my mechanic?

What kind of work goes into lowering a car?

Has anyone replaced their door speakers, including tweeters, any recommendations on brands?

Anyone replaced there seats? Any recommendations? I added some small washers under the front to help make seats more comfortable anyone else done weird mods like this?

Also, with my subs, my mirror is completly unusable.. i've never had this issue with other cars, using subwoofers... it vibrates so bad i think its gonna snap off... any recommendations?

At 190k Is there anything I need to worry about? Fuel pump? Shocks?

Is there a website where I can look up a specific part, for my car, to find out its information, part number, where to buy? Example, I need a new front and rear bumper due to scuffs of city parking.. also the lens' for the fog lights, are broke.. where can I get replacements for those?

Any recommendations for cleaning my engine bay? I wanna clean it all out, and have things looking nice so its alot easier for me to identify what is what when doing work by my self. Can I just take a high pressure washer to the engine and surrounding area? Any spots I should avoid direct contact? Should I remove battery? Is there a de'greaser I can add inline to the water, like using a wagner attachment or something?

Could someone look over this list from rock auto before I hit the red button

2007 HONDA FIT 1.5L L4Wiper & Washer : Wiper Blade

TRICO Part # 14B {#60014B} 14" (350mm) Roc Lock 3 Exact Fit
RearAWould you also like to purchase Rain Repellant?$7.21$7.21Ignition : Spark Plug (Coil-On-Plug) Boot

UNITED IGNITION WIRE Part # 913S Coil-on-Plug boot & Spring kit - 4 assemblies
Boot & Spring Kit
+ Sold in packs of 4; Price reflects cost of each individual item, not the packB$9.33$37.32Ignition : Spark Plug

DENSO Part # 4504 {#PK20TT} Platinum TT
Gap .040A$2.27$9.08Subtotal$53.61

On top of the coil on plug and spark plugs, is there anything else i need tune up related? if so could you point me in the right direction

Last edited by tbonedude; 10-18-2014 at 05:12 AM.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:01 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
I would go with hitachi coil packs. other users have tried some aftermarket ones and had issues.

the x brace you are referring to can be make using 3 c-pillar bars from ebay on the cheap side. Im a fabricator by trade so I build a solid x bar on top of a j's racing rear strut bar. Or you can go with the truly baller route and buy a miracle x bar.
Next - Miracle X Cross Bar II - Nengun Performance

Old 10-18-2014, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kylerwho
I would go with hitachi coil packs. other users have tried some aftermarket ones and had issues.

the x brace you are referring to can be make using 3 c-pillar bars from ebay on the cheap side. Im a fabricator by trade so I build a solid x bar on top of a j's racing rear strut bar. Or you can go with the truly baller route and buy a miracle x bar.
Next - Miracle X Cross Bar II - Nengun Performance
Nothing wrong with denso ignition coils. Only aftermarket you need to stay away from are the cheap $50 set on eBay

Old 10-19-2014, 07:06 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
I considered going with denso but I do believe someone may have had an issue with them. I will try to find the post. I recommend hitachi since they came stock on the car and have since had an updated part number.

edit: the denso work great just as well. the only coil packs to watch out for are early generation hitachi and ebay.

Last edited by kylerwho; 10-19-2014 at 07:08 AM. Reason: wrong info

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Some questions @ 190k