Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Some questions @ 190k

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by kylerwho
I considered going with denso but I do believe someone may have had an issue with them. I will try to find the post. I recommend hitachi since they came stock on the car and have since had an updated part number.

edit: the denso work great just as well. the only coil packs to watch out for are early generation hitachi and ebay.
Did a few things yesterday, upgraded my neutral wires to 2gauge since thats what I had available to me, and it worked out awesome.

Also was torn between a few stores selling my 51R duralast battery some were 5 or 10$ cheaper, others were closer/farther from my home, I ended up going to parts store A, over parts store B, due to a 5 year warranty over a 3.

After the battery and grounds were done, I figured, alright.. its time to hook it back up, start her up, and profit? right?.... the friggin terminal caps on my replacement 51r, were smaller... so I had to go back to the parts store, to get some lead terminal cap extender things..

Anyway, all said and done, my lights are brighter, subs are clearer, not sure about loudness, and my alternator whine, at least temporary due to better battery and wire, has stopped whining.

OH, and I found the trico 14-b wiper, its an exact fit for gd3/fitsport 07. Pop'd it on, and I could see again, it was spectacular.

Im gonna order plugs and coil on boots probably tonight, and ill keep in mind what those on this board have said. I think im going to go with NGK platinum for the plugs. I dont see hatachi listed as a vendor when using rockauto.. so, i guess im good there also.

Today, im gonna look into the rear jdm wiper mod, although, with my new found wiper, i think it may be too big if I go ahead and do the mod, fortunately I saved my old bar, for modding purposes

Also I may have narrowed down my issues with my hatch latch..2 users have pointed out, 1 it may be an actuator that needs to be replaced, and another has said that my handle can actually rust up on the inside. So, im gonna make a vinnegar solution later and see if i can break some rust free, if not i've already found a junkyard with 2 07 fit sports, both front end damage.

Still looking into information for upgrading my dome and cargo lights to LED, both I would like to be MUCH brighter. As with a fit, there isnt map lights, so often enough my dome light needs to be used, and isnt always bright enough for the job. Cargo much the same.

I had mentioned before, there are a few nicks and scratches on my front and rear bumpers and i'd like to replace them.. after looking at both upclose, I think I may be able to repair them...

I also noticed that on my front bumper, there seems to be a section of it missing. I asked a few people and I think it may be a spoiler that attaches there, either way something WAS there, and now it isnt.

Also, still no luck finding replacement lenses for the foggers i've got. But along with the lights, i've talked with a few people and seen there light setups and I want either a 4/2 or a 5/3k setup for lowbeams/fogs. Everyone I spoke to isnt even running hids or anything for there high beams.

Gonna go talk to a shop today about getting tint done, i would like it to be 5-20% all around, including small side windows, and rear hatch. Also wanna ask about getting a nice strip across my windshield since the one thats there now sucks...

I think thats enough ranting for today, ill post back later with what ever i've done, plan to do, and im still getting pics and vids ready. Is there an upload section here, or should I use my choice of image dropper?

Is there a plastic equivalent to bondo?

Think I forgot to mention, got new tyres, for the coming winter, rated like 9/10 for winter/rain, so im happy. Got an alignment too car is feeling nice. Starting my search for wheels now, wanna get a new set of rims to use for the summer, and then keep the current set as my winter/rain set. I wanna repair the dips and divits on those rims as well, is there an aluminum equivalent of bondo I can use?

Took off some LED strips I had on my subs, going to repurpose them as door trim lights in some manor or fashion. Thinking about making them come on with the dome light, via key unlock/door open. but then I know i'd want to get white ones for the exterior also. Still looking into different sizes and replacements for my existing bulbs going to LED's and alot of dead ends. Starting to seriously think about a double din, maybe a lcd setup/tablet, iunno. theres so many possibilities with this car, I really wanna see how far I can go.

I've given much though about adding performance parts to this engine seeing as 190k has just past, hell I checked today, im already @191.... But, My car interior and exterior are in amazing condition otherwise, even underneeth, the most you might find is some brake dust, or leaves stuck in my wipers. Sooo, Im gonna go ahead and start adding some. On top of it, L15A longblocks can be aquired for under1k brand new/very light use, and clean to boot. My tranny is something I would probably swap out too, But again, if theres no need yet, i wont.. dont fix what aint broken sorta?

I guess my goal would be to turbo, but that will be icing on the cake, in the meantime I wanna know what I can do to my existing block, to squeeze just a bit more out of. And maybe in a direction I want to go. K20 just isnt feasable for my budget, only because it requires such an opfront cost, and a franken k20/24 isnt ideal for me as I live in an apartment, and this is my daily driver.. just no space. Looking at my premade options on a turbo or supercharger, again the kit prices are a bit crazy... or am I just wrong, should I save up and do one of the above options, or would my idea of buying like a header, and exhaust, intake a better idea, and if my block dies, all out replace it?

I do want to do alot of the work my self, and im no stranger to tools and assembly, but i've just got no experience thats all. Like I said in my first post, i've got a million and 10 ideas, and honestly now that I quit smoking cigs, this is a new hobbie for me to do.. i've got so many questions and ideas, and i just dont know where to start, so like always, any help is appreciated!

BTW some nice lookin fits out there im seeing, some pics are dead but others are WOW.

Last edited by tbonedude; 10-19-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by derykisonder
I'll help you since I did have your power issue.

You should always get regular maintenance done like your drive belt, ignition coils, spark plugs, air filter, cabin air filter, transmission filter, changing oil, changing transmission fluid and most importantly valve adjustment!
I went back through and checked my paper work, and all work has been done on time by the recommended people to do it (honda techs) and also, thanks mom and dad for my regular matenience lol.

But now its my turn, and its completely in my name.

Is the valve adjustment the same as adjusting the valve leshing? I saw another post regarding that. If so, Im sure my mechanic buddy could do this with the right tools, and im wondering how hard would it be to do my self? Basically Im gonna have him do alot of the work that I simply cant do and watch.. and maybe one day ill be able to? I already have a career and dont have plans to switch, but I also like to do my own work and understand whats going on.. IE not be a ricer...

*Sorry didnt mean to double post, but I specifically wanted to reply to that comment, is there a way to merge posts?

Old 10-20-2014, 05:00 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
Yes valve adjustment and valve lash mean the same thing.

If you want more power start with a hondata flashpro and get a tune whether from an etuner like vit tune or going to a shop that will put it on the dyno for you. From there you can easily run a turbo later on or a supercharger if you want.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:26 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Denso plugs, NGK plugs - it doesn't matter. Both are OEM options. I've had both and there is no significant difference to be felt if your car is in good working order.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:56 PM
For my coil on boots, it seems theres quite a vast range of prices.. 10-50. Of course, denso's are 50$ a piece.. and I planned on buying 4 brand new ones. I was told if your gonna change them, mid as well change them all. If anything keep the old ones as a quick replacement..

So, still torn on which ones to get, decided im going platinum ngk for my spark plugs tho.

Tomorrow im gonna take a 10mm and some of my morning and see if the stock wing that comes with the fit (07FS) can be flipped upside down. A few people have told me it can be, though i've still not seen any pictures yet. If so ill probably add a spacer to give it a bit of clearence from the roof.

Has anyone used bondo 901? Can I use this on my stock rims to fix curb rash?

Gonna go ahead and get the cheap 4 pack to replace, gonna think about the nice ones probably right after christmas.

Was also looking to start changing the look of my car (tint, fancy addons, plastidip) and I've come across intake manifolds and valve covers direct from spoon in red or yellow but.. they say Honda Fit GE6-9 09-13 ... and I wanted to see if anyone else here has had success fitting them onto 07FS/gd3

Also, I took a crapload of pictures to start a 'build log' thread, and more or less keep my self updated, along with prices, and part numbers and mabye any help I could provide other users

Ok, talked with my cousin whos also my mechanic, and he said if im gonna do anything, then I might as well do it right, so on that note

Im gonna get the denso Coil-on-Boot, insted of the cheapos, he said if I really need to get 1 or 2 now, and the rest later, but he did ask that I wait and install them all togather, not 1 at a time. So that clears up that issue, also gonna get the spark plugs, denso or ngk, and probably gonna go platinum insted of irridium. Main reason? Ethanol is a problem on the east coast, and I dont need my 4banger getting all gunked up just cause its cheaper...

Also, found a turbo, intercooler, and possibly a manifold for under a grand. Gonna need some planning, and tubing, but one day it will fit, my fit. Also looking at stock internals/forged possibly gonna stay stock on my current l15a, and see how it is, and then either get forged internals for my block, or get them and put in the fresh block.

^^fresh block, we decided that im gonna buy the l15a crate + tranny for 1350 shipped because its such a deal and if/when my block blows up, i've got a drop in replacement for it. Basically everything im doing now, is a retrofit/hotfit while its still my daily driver.

Got alot of what I wanted/expected written down on paper now. I've got 3 catagories, stage1, 2, 3. stage 3, for me, would be a kswap. probably M/T as well which means 10x more work because im a/t now. stage 2 is turbo, remap, making it look and sound good. Im gonna go for stage2. Moving on, i've got an idea on how I want things to look now also, I printed stuff out, including pics of others rides, and color choices/combinations and I now have an idea of where im going with mine. Ill post back on a new thread, with all this information plus pics shortly, but right now its still stage1, aka, get my needed 200k work done, give the car a major overhaul and see where I stand, if stage 2 is still an option, then go for it.

My plan is to have this car done by say, march 2015. I wanna go to my first honda day event and meet up with others and all that. Also maybe meet up with a local group, honda based, or fit specific, either way. I need a hobby since I quit smoking.. I think i've found it

Last edited by tbonedude; 10-21-2014 at 08:52 PM.