Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

P2647 CEL still coming on

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 02:02 PM
P2647 CEL still coming on

Hi All,

The CEL came on my wife's 2007 Base AT Fit about 3 weeks ago as she always leaving for work. She immediately brought it aback to the house and told me it "didn't want to run, just kept sputtering." I was able to pull a P2647 code, it was running ok, but the light kept coming on and giving the same code. After looking around the forum I found that to be a fairly regular occurrence on the Fit, hers has 145k on the clock.

So I replaced the oil pressure switch/solenoid and cleared the code and it is running fine, however, now the CEL comes on every couple of days. The car still runs fine, not sputtering like the first time. So my question to everyone is: do I need to reset the Computer by unhooking the battery for 10 seconds, do I need to replace the VTEC assembly, or just take it to my local mechanic to look at? I try to do most of my own work but this has me stumped. Thanks in advance!

Roger

Old 02-12-2015, 12:33 PM
Reset ECU didn't help

I unhooked the battery last night and when I went to leave this morning, the light came back on and the car started to sputter if I went over 3k rpms. I've ordered an entire VTEC assembly and will install it tomorrow and see what this does. After this, I'm out of ideas and will see my local mechanic for more ideas and repairs.

I just wanted to post a follow-up.

Old 02-13-2015, 05:53 PM
thanks for your post.

I have an 08 fit base automatic with 87k miles on it and its doing the same exact thing. BUT the weird thing is I'm getting NO CEL's ...... I have done a ton of research on it and decided to just buy a new vtech assembly ( whole thing) . please update us on your progress.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:56 PM
New VTEC assembly installed

I installed the new VTEC assembly today, got it through my local dealer using the estore.honda.com for $158. Unfortunately I haven't been able to test it though, the car was still warm. The only time I have problems is when the car is cold after sitting all night. I plan on trying it in the morning and will report tomorrow night on if I still have issues.

For changing the assembly it took about 30-45 minutes. I had to take the battery and air cleaner assembly out to have room to maneuver my big hands. Take your time and you'll be fine. I'm really hopeful this fixes our car, mechanic is next if it doesn't.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by FitFreakNC
I installed the new VTEC assembly today, got it through my local dealer using the estore.honda.com for $158. Unfortunately I haven't been able to test it though, the car was still warm. The only time I have problems is when the car is cold after sitting all night. I plan on trying it in the morning and will report tomorrow night on if I still have issues.

For changing the assembly it took about 30-45 minutes. I had to take the battery and air cleaner assembly out to have room to maneuver my big hands. Take your time and you'll be fine. I'm really hopeful this fixes our car, mechanic is next if it doesn't.
What did your old vtech solenoid look like? , was the little screen clogged ?..... I'm expecting my vtech assembly to come in tomorrow, I got it for $141 shipped from Honda parts unlimited.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:06 PM
Screen looked clean

I was hoping something would jump out at me when I took the old one off but no luck. I will say to be careful as two of the bolts were pretty blackened by heat. I used anti-seize when reinstalling the bolts.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:16 PM
I was hoping something would jump out at me when I took the old one off but no luck. I will say to be careful as two of the bolts were pretty blackened by heat. I used anti-seize when reinstalling the bolts.
Did you end up torqueing the vtech solenoid down to spec ?(7.2 ft lbs) or just hand tighten it?

Old 02-13-2015, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by fitomatic
Did you end up torqueing the vtech solenoid down to spec ?(7.2 ft lbs) or just hand tighten it?
I just hand tightened, didn't see specs I could go by. Would be a challenge to get a torque wrench in there unless you have a medium-sized extension. I used a 3" and with ratch I had enough room. To get the bottom right bolt out you'll have to press the wire harness down, at least I had to.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:23 PM
Hey man, thanks for all your replies.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:25 PM
No problems! Good luck! Like I said I hope I'm done!

Old 02-13-2015, 07:26 PM
Give us another update after you test the car, thanks !

Old 02-14-2015, 09:01 AM
Okay, so it was 27 degrees outside of Charlotte, NC, just right for testing this new assembly. Let the car warm-up for a minute and then went for a test drive: so far so good! No CEL this morning, told the wife to keep her fingers crossed and to let me know if it comes on again. To this point, good news!

Old 02-14-2015, 02:13 PM
Okay, so it was 27 degrees outside of Charlotte, NC, just right for testing this new assembly. Let the car warm-up for a minute and then went for a test drive: so far so good! No CEL this morning, told the wife to keep her fingers crossed and to let me know if it comes on again. To this point, good news!
Awesome dude, I'm very happy it turned out well for you. Did the car feel like it had more "pep" after the installation?

Old 02-14-2015, 02:38 PM
Not sure about more pep but I definately didn't spare the throttle during my test drive. I would say that I had the type of response I had awhile ago.

However this may be due to changing spark plugs too and having them gapped correctly. Found out I had replaced them before but didn't gap them correctly the last time (50k ago.). I am happy and hope the cel stays off on that car, meanwhile I had the cel come on on my 2012 civic. Haven't been home to pull this code but so far it is running correctly. If it ain't one d**m thing it's another.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:51 AM
Final update, everything is working as it should (both cars too!). Looks like the VTEC assembly did the job?

Old 06-27-2022, 09:23 AM
Reviving an old thread - but on my 2007 Fit I got the P2647 code and just replaced the gasket - $8 from the parts store. Easy enough to replace and the old gasket was hard and flat - letting air escape - thus causing the issue.
Just remove the battery - remove the airbox - remove three bolts holding the VVT Solenoid assembly - then replace the gasket. Also there is a gasket underneath the solenoid itself - and the kit I used had the wrong sized gasket for this - so I used removed this O-Ring gasket and smeared some Shin Etsu grease - used for plumping up rubber - on it and put it all back together and it runs great now.

I had to reuse the original screen which slides into grooves on the gasket. The Fel-Pro one was too big and didn't fit perfectly - but the original one was still in pristine condition.

I also bought some Liqui-Moly MOTOR OIL SAVER - oil additive that is supposed to soften and plump your seals a bit as they get old and hard - since I don't use high mileage synthetic oils in my old Hondas.

Here is a pic of the VVT Solenoid gasket kit...

And a pic of the VVT Solenoid Assembly

Last edited by HarrisonGreeleyIII; 06-27-2022 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-25-2023, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member

Good for you. Mind giving us a few details on how you did this........and some pics to show wtf it is?........Never mind.......another guy posted pics..........THANK YOU!!

Z

Old 05-25-2023, 06:32 PM
5 Year Member
Thank you Harrison Greeley!!!

Z