Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

2008 Honda Fit Sport - Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 05:07 PM
2008 Honda Fit Sport - Engine Light

I bought my Fit brand new. In fact I had to wait for it to be built and shipped from Japan. In the years since, I have very strictly followed maintenance and have never gone past 15% before I schedule service.

From the get there has been a certain smell that we could smell on the passenger side and was told it was a "normal brake smell", In all these years the smell has never gone away.

Today I filled up and when I got back in the car, the check engine light was on. I gimped it home and noticed a burning smell that was worse when I opened the hood. After I turned it off, check the gas cap, etc. then turned it back on, the light is still on and the engine fan comes on right away.

I can't get in for diagnostics until Monday. Needless to say, I'm stuck for the weekend and concerned the repairs will cost a fortune. Can anyone advise me on what to expect from the dealer service dept?

Old 02-21-2015, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
Check coolant level and oil level then look for obvious signs of burning or wear the smell is coming from. I also waited for mine from Japan in 07. I have never had a problem so I can bet people have invented gremlins while trying to service your car.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:31 PM
Thanks Lance, I should know something tomorrow afternoon.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
Go get the codes read at a parts store like Auto zone, O'rielys, etc and post up what they are. Can't really suggest anything else since we'deffectively be shooting in the dark by notknowing what the code(s) are.

Similar with the smell, can't quite say what it is without being there. BUT, if you can get it to consistently duplicate and for sure know it smells like brakes then check to see if the piston in the brake caliper moves smoothly and freely (I.E. no binds/rough spots) pushing the piston in. Also check if the two slide pins are properly lubricated and their (and the piston's) rubber grommets are not damaged.