Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Light ticking noise coming from engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 12:55 AM
Light ticking noise coming from engine?

So I'm having a light ticking noise coming from the engine is this normal or is it the valves needing to be re-adjusted? I'll be happy to provide video with sound if that helps. It only seems to be noticeable when the car is warm from driving for awhile. I'm hoping it's normal and not valve clearance because they look like a massive pain to get to.

Honda Jazz 1.5L Auto 2006 (Australia)

Old 06-23-2015, 04:57 AM
5 Year Member
I drove from ~150K miles to 200K miles with what I now know to have been noise caused by needed valve adjustments. Had it done at the dealer for around $500 including serpentine belt and new idle tensioner. I do most of my maintenance, but when it comes to PIA jobs that I will likely not need to redo for another 150K miles, it was the best money I spent.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:41 AM
most of that would of been for valves. the belt and idler aren't too expensive. is that with your honda dealership? and are you located in Aus or overseas? If i got this done at my local dealership it would cost 3X the amount. We get charged just by local mechanics $200 just for oil and oil filter change and then inspection of the car for any other issues.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:07 AM
5 Year Member
A really light ticking can be caused by fuel injectors as well as out-of-adjustment valves.

They are solenoids, and click when actuated and de-actuated. This is not a problem, though.

Getting back to the valves, often they will emit an audible click when adjusted to the 'loose' end of spec. This is a good thing so don't worry. It is tight (quiet) exhaust valves that will burn... and require cylinder head work.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by InsaneGenius
most of that would of been for valves. the belt and idler aren't too expensive. is that with your honda dealership? and are you located in Aus or overseas? If i got this done at my local dealership it would cost 3X the amount. We get charged just by local mechanics $200 just for oil and oil filter change and then inspection of the car for any other issues.
Yeah it was at a local U.S. Honda dealership. Typical oil change run $40 at the dealer. I'm originally from Sydney so I know embedded taxes are higher and thus labor prices are higher there.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Carbuff2
A really light ticking can be caused by fuel injectors as well as out-of-adjustment valves.

They are solenoids, and click when actuated and de-actuated. This is not a problem, though.

Getting back to the valves, often they will emit an audible click when adjusted to the 'loose' end of spec. This is a good thing so don't worry. It is tight (quiet) exhaust valves that will burn... and require cylinder head work.
@InsaneGenius: Carbuff2 is on the money with this comment.

'Genius, you did not say how many mies you have on your car.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:33 AM
40 bucks! damn that's good.
haha my bad it has about 190,000K's on it.

That's what I was thinking it could be the fuel injectors I just didn't want to leave it long if it wasn't, I use to drive my old hyundai accent 02 for over a year without service and it had a ticking noise too, I just put it down to an old piece of crap, till 2014 I gave it to the scrap metals, turns on it wasn't that much of a piece of crap.

Should I waste time doing a valve check then? it doesn't state detailed in the service book just the usual fluids and filters. Speaking of filters are these fuel filters for life or need changing? it seems as though it's in the tank with the fuel pump, car runs perfect so if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:46 AM
5 Year Member
As long as the ticking is subtle, I'd say let it be...

Maybe for peace of mind, let the shop that did the work have a listen. Then document whatever they say.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the info everyone, I think I will take it in for them to have a hear, again I'll get charged a fee just for that too. haha.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:18 AM
5 Year Member
If a shop stands behind their work, they should not charge you just to ***listen***.

If the shop thinks it could be something serious that they need to dive in to, you should pay them for their time.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member
I adjusted my valves as OCD as I can get and have used different oil viscosities, and as stated, the engine still sounds like a sewing machine. It is the loudest when it has been driven in the really cold. I have learned to completely ignore it. The engine runs excellent and gets the mileage it should, that's what matters.