Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

2007 Fit, AC suddenly stopped working?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 04:19 PM
2007 Fit, AC suddenly stopped working?

Hello all!

I have a 2007 Fit (since I purchased in 2007 brand new), and have loved it to death. It has been extremely reliable and have no issues, until now. My AC has worked well until today, on the highway, it just stopped. I seem to remember entering the highway (speeding up) when it just quit. The AC button still lights up and blows plenty of air (fan is working fine) but the air is hot (basically whatever the outside air is).

I had it in for an oil change today and I had the mechanic take a look at what's going on -- he said the Freon levels are fine and that there isn't a leak, which is wha the thought since the stoppage was so sudden.

Any idea what could be going on?

I purchased a new relay switch and tried to swap out the one for the condensor fan and the compressor relay, but neither worked.

Is there anything else I can try before biting the bullet and taking it in?

Thanks!

Old 07-12-2015, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
Compressor/condenser?

I'm not really knowledgeable about ac systems, but it seems like the most common problems that you haven't ruled out yet involve the compressor or maybe the condenser. I'd take it in in your shoes, and you may want to take it to a shop that is willing to install salvage parts, since the parts are very expensive oem and even 3rd party. I had the local dealership quote $1100 for a compressor; my independent mechanic got the job done for the salvage part price (150) plus 2.7 hours labor. He also recommended salvage over remanufactured for quality reasons (inferior seals etc on remanufactureds). The bad compressor is kind of worst case scenario; just a compressor clutch or condenser would be cheaper. If you're familiar with those repairs or enjoy troubleshooting with the factory service manual, maybe it would be worth taking a crack at yourself, but for the rest of us, I'm a fan of salvage parts+ independent mechanic.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:10 PM
I think for this you should take it into an A/C shop. Even if the freon levels are correct it still could be the PSI switch on the compressor not causing it to turn on. An A/C specialty shop could tell you right away.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:32 PM
Eerily similar story to my wife's 07 Fit... driving on the highway at the end of June when it stopped suddenly. I've been driving it in the hot summer so far, haven't really had any free weekends to mess around with it, but thinking of biting the bullet and attempting DIY compressor replacement (buying a salvage for around $100 or so). I'd pay a shop to evacuate it, and I have the ac gauges/vacuum pump so the rest I should be able to take care of.