Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

CVT fit jerks with very specific symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member
CVT fit jerks with very specific symptoms

Hey guys, I know it has been discussed to hell, but I cannot seem to find someone with the symptoms my GD fit is having.

I would describe the jerking sensation similar to clutching in suddenly for a split second and clutching back out immediately again without letting go off the accelerator. The jerks can be anything from once or thrice or even multiple, but not lasting more than 5 seconds.

It jerks in these scenarios:
When turning out to join the main street (90 deg turns)
When there's a slight incline, my fit will jerk at about 2000rpm on D mode. And again, on a slight incline, the fit will jerk at about 3000rpm on S mode.

Fuel filter has been changed 2 years ago.
Spark plugs have been changed 2 years ago.
Did not change the coil packs coz they are so expensive to change.

I'm hoping that someone has experienced the same symptoms and could point me in the right direction. Thanks a mil

Old 05-20-2016, 05:09 AM
5 Year Member
Sounds like the infamous start clutch problem that early CVT GD1s suffer from. A flush and change of CVT fluid might help but there was a revised start clutch fitted to later cars and fitted to cars under 7 years old under guarantee if necessary.

Last edited by Wage Slave; 05-20-2016 at 05:20 AM.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wage Slave
Sounds like the infamous start clutch problem that early CVT GD1s suffer from. A flush and change of CVT fluid might help but there was a revised start clutch fitted to later cars and fitted to cars under 7 years old.
Mines an 07 fit. I last had a cvt fluid change approx 5500 miles ago. Is it time to change again?

Old 05-20-2016, 05:19 AM
5 Year Member
It shouldn't need changing yet really. I wish I knew more exactly when they started fitting the revised start clutch. I'm afraid I don't know.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:23 PM
Dear Karebu. If this failure occurs when the car makes a 90 degree turn , I think you may be experiencing a momentary lack of fuel. When the car goes back to a straight line , the fuel is pumped again and the fault disappears. Try to feel if this failure can be lack of fuel. Would you have the feeling to understand if the failure is a shutdown because of lack of fuel , then the engine returns to normally burn the fuel ? Good luck!

Old 06-02-2016, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
Fixed!

It has been fixed.

My car died the other day while cruising on the freeway.

Check engine light came on, OBD claims crankshaft position sensor error.

However, the fix turned out to be the coilpacks. Replaced and has been running good for a few weeks now.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:25 PM
When you described the problem, I suspected that it was not related to the transmission, and really did not. It seemed to lack of fuel or misfire. That's great that the problem was solved!