Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

GD Fit maintenance tasks

Old 02-21-2017, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
GD Fit maintenance tasks

I picked up a 2017 LX CVT for myself at the beginning of the year as my daughter had just passed her driving test and was given my old 2008 base model (automatic).
That car has been fantastic for me and I really had very little to do to it over the 8.5 years and 160,00 miles other than maintenance. I've changed the oil and brakes myself as necessary, put in new plugs and coils, and replaced a sensor to fix a check engine light.
She's going to be driving it around for the next couple of years at least, but not putting as many miles on it as I did! I wanted to do a couple of things to keep it in good shape. Changing the transmission fluid is first on the list, there are lots of tutorials out there so I don't expect too many problems with that.
There is a knocking noise at low speed from the front suspension, I think that is the sway bar end links. I found a tutorial on that, and as long as I can get the bolts off then it doesn't look too bad.
Is there anything else that anyone can think of from a preventative perspective?

Old 02-22-2017, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
Adjust your valves if they haven't been done recently. I have 195,000km on my 07 GD and it's been a pleasure to own, drive, and maintain. Adjusting my valves yielded better fuel enconomy and it purrs like a kitten meow. lol

I haven't experienced a clunking in my front end, but something else you may want to check are the engine and transmission mounts. My mounts are original, but I've read on FitFfreak that quite a few people have had issues with them failing after a long time.

Your daughter will love this car. I would have given my left arm to have one of these when I first got my license!!!! By the way, you sound like a really great Dad, sir!

Old 02-23-2017, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
Are there any tutorials for valve adjustments? Sounds like something to take a look at. The fuel economy is a few miles under what it was new these days (which is still amazing). If it's something I can do myself then I'll give it a shot.

I don't think the clunking is engine mounts. I only notice it when moving slowly in bumpy parking lots while turning. I'll get the wheels off and take a look before I order any parts though.
I found this tutorial and it looks like it's not to hard (as long as the bolts come off, which they probably won't having been through many Ohio winters now). https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...eplacment.html

Old 02-23-2017, 08:12 PM