Gassy exhaust smell around car while running - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Old 04-07-2017, 11:09 AM

Gassy exhaust smell around car while running

Hey all, problem just started out of the blue on commute home from work. Suddenly had a gassy exhaust smell coming through the air vents when I stopped at a light. I thought it was the car in front of me but no luck. When I turn on recirculation it pretty much disappears. Gas mileage seems the same. I have had it to 2 shops to check for a gas or exhaust leak and neither found anything. They both smelled it. I changed the cabin filter for grins. Engine seems to be running normal, but the smell is nauseating so I keep blower off, or on recirculation with windows cracked a few inches. If I travel over 20mph, I don't notice it.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:26 PM

Spark plug(s) loosened up?
Old 07-08-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl05si View Post
Hey all, problem just started out of the blue on commute home from work. Suddenly had a gassy exhaust smell coming through the air vents when I stopped at a light. I thought it was the car in front of me but no luck. When I turn on recirculation it pretty much disappears. Gas mileage seems the same. I have had it to 2 shops to check for a gas or exhaust leak and neither found anything. They both smelled it. I changed the cabin filter for grins. Engine seems to be running normal, but the smell is nauseating so I keep blower off, or on recirculation with windows cracked a few inches. If I travel over 20mph, I don't notice it.
what year is your fit? my wife's is a 2013 with about 55KM on it and we have been having this problem intermittently for over a year. initially brought it to the dealer's attention last year because it was still under warranty. they cleaned around the engine compartment and told us to come back if it came back. what's strange is it would go away for a few weeks and then come back. we only smell fumes (more exhaust smell than uncombusted gasoline fumes) when the vehicle is stopped and the fan is on outside air. this almost certainly means the leak is coming from under the hood and it takes a few seconds at idle before the fumes make it up to the outside air intake which is on the outside of the car at the bottom of the windshield. there is no perceptible smell when driving around--we can be on outside air 100% of the time as long as the car is moving and there are no fumes.

anyone else having this problem??
Old 08-12-2017, 01:10 PM

Loose spark plugs, almost certainly. Dealers have no clue, but this seems to be common on fits. Most noticeable while idling at a light. I Never would have believed it myself, dealer unable to figure it out after numerous visits. Found this info somewhere in this forum, checked myself and the plugs were very loose. Hard to get to, but if you're competent it is a diy fix. Unbolt the coils from the top of the head, remove the coils from top of plug, then tighten. Not sure of torque spec for this, but my understanding is that the head is aluminum so be careful.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member

Fix it now. Do NOT wait. If it loosens to the point of blowing out, you will be looking at a very high bill to fix the threads in the head. This has happened to many Fit owners and Honda seldom warranties the fix.

Re-torque the plugs today. You are lucky that you noticed it before it blew out the plug.

There are many threads on this forum about the problem.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member

This is exactly what happened to our Fit. Our son who drives the car the most said he could smell exhaust. Number 3 plug halfway out.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:56 AM

we also have an occasionla mouldyish smell, from the ac. I also had a swishy water sound from the dash. It was the condensate not draining from the ac system. There is a little black tube that goes from under passenger side dash through the floor/firewall and drains out at the back passenger side if the engine compartment. Our was blocked. I unplugged it by squeezing it, and a gallon of water drained out. You can see the end of the tube under the car. You can get at it from inside or gently slide a long screwdriver up the tube from underneath. Fit AC is weird and problematic, this is just one of the quirks I have never noticed in the many other cars I have owned