Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Tore down engine - burnt valves - repair help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 12:16 PM
Red face Tore down engine - burnt valves - repair help?

Hi folks, I swapped in a new lower mileage motor into my fit as the engine seemed quite tired after 250k; I'm trying to do the lowest cost effective rebuild possible to get back on the road. The current lower mileage is being used as my test mule for my turbo build this summer so I want my backup together soon...

Basically, everything in the engine looks fine. Compression was ~180 across three cylinders, and extremely low in number 4. Tear down reveals normal looking bearings, straight rods, filthy but undamaged pistons, and solid ring sets on all pistons.

The cam shows no unusual wear. It looks like all the damage is in one cylinder - #4 has an exhaust valve that has a chip missing - likely "burnt" due to lack of valve adjustments prior to my purchasing it.

I've never done valvetrain work before (the last part of an engine I've never had to rebuild!) so really need some pointers here. On ebay, valves appear to only be sold as sets, and I'm pretty sure replacing 8 valves vs. 1 will do nothing for the longevity or health of the engine. Anyone know where I can get just two for the damage cylinder? Should I replace all four in that one, or just the two damaged ones? Can I reused the keepers/guides/seals etc. or is there a cheap kit out there somewhere for me to refresh all of them in the head?

The handbook I have is pretty unclear about how to remove/reinstall them and does not mention a spring compressor, basically just using a small rod and a hammer to do the replacement which confuses me...

Thanks all!

Attached Thumbnails Tore down engine - burnt valves - repair help?-20170318_155510.jpg   Tore down engine - burnt valves - repair help?-20170318_155526.jpg  
Old 04-16-2017, 01:38 PM
This actually looks like a very good guide, and is likely very close for our engines. I just wish there were some "complete valvetrain" kits available for the l15a

How-To Install Valvesprings & Valve Seals - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

Old 04-16-2017, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member
You can purchase valves and just about all of the other small pieces individually through Honda.

The 'crack' in the valve is probably where it has been flame-cut, same as how a cutting torch would cut steel.

You may want to have your local machine shop do the valve work as there may be seat damage in addition to the visible valve damage.
Your local machine shop can probably obtain new valve(s) as needed at a lower price than Honda as well. Research these options.