Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

board under the car came off!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 02:03 PM
board under the car came off!

Just this last Friday, while I was driving in another town (45mph) the board on the bottom of my Fit (my car's belly) lost a screw. I immediately knew what happened because it had happened before!!! Because it was late, I had to win it back home. That was miserable as I lost another screw (i don't know what holds board attach to the belly). The board wasn't just making sounds (one screw lost), it was directly scraping the road (two screws off). I was so afraid that it was going to be stuck somewhere and then be ripped off my car's belly.

The first time this happened, I was on my way to Sacramento. Lucky when I stopped by the closest town because of this reason, a lube express shop was able to help me batch the board back on to my car's belly. (board lost two screws on the lower half and was scraping the road)

Have anyone had this happened before? Why is the board/screws so fragile? They happened within a couple months of each other. I own a sienna and tundra toyota--no problem with their bellies. I haven't heard my cousins complain about similar issue regarding their cars, but then most of them own small toyota cars.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:27 AM
5 Year Member
This is common, usually because of a lack of care when the oil is changed.

The fasteners are not that robust. We had the same thing happen on our old RAV4 BTW

Old 05-11-2017, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by Carbuff2
This is common, usually because of a lack of care when the oil is changed.

The fasteners are not that robust. We had the same thing happen on our old RAV4 BTW
Yea. I took that to the dealer and that's what they said too. I had my oil change at walmart, but it has been months since I had the oil change so I don't know if going back to walmart to make a claim will yield any result.

The first time it happened, I didn't realized what caused it. But because someone was able to screw it back up, I didn't ask until now that I had to pay for replacement clips and screws. Cost me $64.