Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Fog light assembly came off when I hit an animal at freeway speed. How to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 01:58 AM
Fog light assembly came off when I hit an animal at freeway speed. How to replace?

Hello Fit Freaks! New user here with a question about replacing the fog light assembly. I have a 2016 Fit EX. Tonight I was driving on the freeway when a coyote or fox bolted out right in front of me from the median area, and I couldn't stop in time. It impacted pretty hard on the passenger side near the headlights, and when I inspected the damage later, I saw that the entire fog light assembly was gone.

I've attached photos to show the extent of the damage. Unfortunately I can't even see any wires to connect a new one.

Is this something I can replace on my own if I can get a hold of the parts? Or do I have to have it fixed professionally? Any idea how much something like this would cost?

Along those lines, any repair shop recommendations near San Jose, CA (or bay area in general) would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Fog light assembly came off when I hit an animal at freeway speed. How to replace?-img_20170914_225110.jpg   Fog light assembly came off when I hit an animal at freeway speed. How to replace?-img_20170914_225127.jpg  
Old 09-15-2017, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
Just this last weekend I installed DRLs in the front bumper of my 2016 LX. The operations are similar to what you'd need to do to replace your foglight assembly. For me it was easy, but only you know your own level of mechanical and/or electrical skill. It looks like the components you lost are the foglight assembly itself, and the bezel that surrounds it. You need to stick your hand through the openings and see if the electrical connector for the light is still inside somewhere, or if it ripped off the wiring harness. Assuming the connector is still there, the repair should be trivial, after you splash out on the replacement parts. If I were in your shoes, I'd get rid of the right side light, and start from scratch with new DRL bezels and new fog lamps. Replacement parts from the dealer are going to cost you way more than aftermarket versions.

What you'd do is:
- Use a screwdriver to remove the broken tabs from the old fog light. Keep the screws for reuse.
- Plug the new foglight lamp into the harness connector.
- Mount the new lamp assembly to the bumper with the old screws.
- Snap the bezel into place.

I don't even think you'd need to disassemble the bumper cover.

I did all the work on mine without removing the bumper cover, just the black lower grill piece. I would have taken pictures, but I did most of the work after sunset, and it was dark.

Thanks for the pics, BTW. My DRLs didn't have the foglights installed, and I was considering putting in my own fog lights or something similar. I was afraid I would need to remove the bumper to mount them on the backside, but now I see the lamps mount from the front. Easy peesy.

Last edited by ToddF; 09-15-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:18 PM
Thanks! Very very helpful! I dug around and found the wires and bulb, which are intact, although it doesn't turn on, so that makes me a bit concerned that something in the wiring is broken. Best case scenario is just that the bulb itself is broken but the wiring is OK. Guess I won't know until I replace it all.

I don't have a lot of mechanical or electrical skill, but I'm pretty good at following directions and could probably recruit a friend who's a bit more handy. I do think I could replace it if I can find the right parts. Especially considering the bumper doesn't have to come off, and all I need is the part and a screwdriver.

Do you have a recommended supplier to order from? I'm a bit worried that I'll order the wrong thing. A quick google search shows that I might want something like this for OEM style: https://www.carid.com/2016-honda-fit...parentsubmodel[]=SUBMODEL|EX

Or this for DRLs?
Amazon Amazon

Attached Thumbnails Fog light assembly came off when I hit an animal at freeway speed. How to replace?-img_20170915_120554.jpg  
Old 09-16-2017, 08:19 PM
Hey thanks! I had a long reply typed out and when I hit submit, a message came up that said I needed mod approval, and it apparently hasn't been approved yet. But long story short, I think I will try to order the part and do it on my own because the wiring appears intact. Do you have a recommendation on where to order the parts from?

(edit: and I'm glad my pics were able to help you too!)

Last edited by jrbmed08; 09-16-2017 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:37 AM
5 Year Member
I've had good luck with hondapartsnow.com. they are a dealership and shipping wasn't bad

Old 09-20-2017, 09:06 PM
Thanks guys! After price comparing, I decided to go with an aftermarket kit, because it included the assembly, bezel, bulb, and wiring (in case I had damaged that) for both sides at about the same price of an OEM bezel and assembly for one side.

I considered DRLs per ToddF's suggestion, but after reading about the pros and cons decided not to install them. I drive almost exclusively in the Bay Area where it's pretty sunny throughout the year, and I turn on my headlights in rainy conditions. Also verified that my insurance carrier (GEICO) does not give a discount for DRLs in California.

Bought this kit for $53: 2015-2017 Honda FIT Driving Clear Fog Lights Lamp Complete Kit Switch & Harness | eBay

I had a bit of difficulty snapping the old assembly out of the housing but ended up succeeding after using a screwdriver to hold the tab. Then getting the screws lined up with the holes was a bit tricky, and I ended up dropping them and having to fish for them inside the bottom of the car a few times. But overall, it was easy enough for this 30-something woman with no electrical or mechanical experience to install. Didn't even need to remove any parts of the car (not even the black lower grill or bumper cover). It works and looks just like the other side to my eyes.

Thank you for the advice and moral support! Happy to have saved hundreds by avoiding a trip to the dealer.