Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

K&N stock replacement filter experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 09:20 AM
5 Year Member
oh please
Cause the use of of excess petroleum is obviously so much better for the environment. Me and my silly little biodegradable/recycleable paper filters.

You're wasting your money.

*Also they do develop scary big holes in them after the first cleanings....

*I like how the rational works that since a Ford XXX MAF works a certain way that a Japanese MAF should operate the same way. I know for a fact that over-oiled K&N Filters killed many MAFs on Nissan Maximas just check out Maxima.org to hear their thoughts on K&N filters. A little wire that is designed to burn off excess oil? orly? .

Last edited by GoFits; 05-17-2007 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:14 PM
err ... do MAF wires run hot enough to burn off the k&N oil ... im guessing it wouldn't cuz that'd be one hot mofo-ing wire. Also when my filter came out of the box I held it up to direct sunlight and you could see some "holes". How big these were I cannot comment on. The reason I'm using it is because it is reusable, I know it does not filter as well as a paper filter and flow is only marginally increased. Important thing to consider is that paper filters are not impenetrable either, they too will let some contaminants through.

Old 05-18-2007, 04:10 AM
5 Year Member
K&N filter oil causes my Fit to spin around like a propeller at stoplights.

Mr. Claymore, do you think this subject will ever die? (Thanks for your reasonable voice on the subject.)

Old 05-18-2007, 04:31 AM
5 Year Member
wtf!!!!????? unless you love to oil the shit outta your filter, then youll have no problem!!!! Ive ran k&n on all my cars and NEVER once had a problem. save money and gas, buy a drop in. F paper filters

Old 05-18-2007, 04:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GoFits
oh please
Cause the use of of excess petroleum is obviously so much better for the environment. Me and my silly little biodegradable/recycleable paper filters.
I didnt kno the plastic was biodegradable??? and recycling takes more toll on the earth than just throwing it away, its not a waste of moeny, its a GREAT investment

Old 05-18-2007, 05:36 AM
5 Year Member
Let him keep buying those paper filters and we'll all "waste" our $33 on ONE filter ever.

Old 05-18-2007, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cheffyjay
Let him keep buying those paper filters and we'll all "waste" our $33 on ONE filter ever.
seriously! come on ppl dont be ignorant!

Old 05-18-2007, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by claymore
Not true, MAF sensors have heated wires to burn off any stay oil from any source. Used one in my Mustang with MAF for 50,000 miles and never a hint of a problem.
I don't believe that the hot wire's purpose was to make oil burn off, although this may be a secondary effect. In fact, most Ford MAFs are hot/cold wire setups, so only one wire is hot, and this is, by design, how the meter can infer airflow based on the cooling effect of the air passing across the hot wire.

And it is a very common issue with Mustangs to get contamination from over-oiling. That isn't to say that running a K&N will always be problematic. I ran one for a long time as well with no problems. But I would also periodicallly take a q-tip w/ alcohol to gently clean the wires. Usually not too much buildup, but this is a very common suggestion for folks dealing w/ tuning issues.

In any regard, we don't have to worry about this with the Fit. Also, not all MAFs use a hot/cold wire setup. So I don't think you can point-blank dismiss the potential for MAF issues while using a K&N, since each may resond differently to being coated w/ thin film of oil.

Old 05-19-2007, 01:13 AM
Originally Posted by sonorliteman
I don't believe that the hot wire's purpose was to make oil burn off, although this may be a secondary effect. In fact, most Ford MAFs are hot/cold wire setups, so only one wire is hot, and this is, by design, how the meter can infer airflow based on the cooling effect of the air passing across the hot wire.

And it is a very common issue with Mustangs to get contamination from over-oiling. That isn't to say that running a K&N will always be problematic. I ran one for a long time as well with no problems. But I would also periodicallly take a q-tip w/ alcohol to gently clean the wires. Usually not too much buildup, but this is a very common suggestion for folks dealing w/ tuning issues.

In any regard, we don't have to worry about this with the Fit. Also, not all MAFs use a hot/cold wire setup. So I don't think you can point-blank dismiss the potential for MAF issues while using a K&N, since each may resond differently to being coated w/ thin film of oil.
100% true the hot wire is not a wire to burn off contaminants. As the air passes by the wire it cools it down, the cooler the wire the less resistance it has, and it's sent to the computer to compensate for the air flow.that's how it measures the air.
Originally Posted by George02
seriously! come on ppl dont be ignorant!
dude you are the one being ignorant, go ahead and listen to their advertisements. people are telling you of their past experiences with KN filters, they aren't lying. if you like using KN filters then use them, don't call others ignorant. I'm telling you right now that my engine will always have better filtered air than your engine will. i will replace my filter when it gets too dirty, but you have to wash yours, and after every wash, your filter will get worse and worse and that equals to dirty air in your motor!

Old 05-19-2007, 01:17 AM
It is one MFing hot wire just like the RED HOT wires in your TOASTER. It isn't that hot all the time it cycles on and off to keep the temp where it DOES burn off ANY contaminant not just K&N oil.
haha you call yourself a mechanic?

Old 05-19-2007, 02:38 AM
Originally Posted by quangalang
100% true the hot wire is not a wire to burn off contaminants. As the air passes by the wire it cools it down, the cooler the wire the less resistance it has, and it's sent to the computer to compensate for the air flow.that's how it measures the air.

dude you are the one being ignorant, go ahead and listen to their advertisements. people are telling you of their past experiences with KN filters, they aren't lying. if you like using KN filters then use them, don't call others ignorant. I'm telling you right now that my engine will always have better filtered air than your engine will. i will replace my filter when it gets too dirty, but you have to wash yours, and after every wash, your filter will get worse and worse and that equals to dirty air in your motor!
I dont think claymore intended to mean that the wire is purely there for burning off contaminants ... that would be silly, I think that he meant that it is part of the design that the wires run hot to burn off any contaminants that may make it through ... although I have a hard time believing this myself as to completely burn off anything would require ALOt of heat and in most cases the residue would get sucked into the engine anyways :S

I am not going to try and disprove people's bad experiences with K&N filters. From a purely theoretical point of view I dont see how it can make that much of a difference. For our filters (2007 fit) K&N recommend to use only 15ml of oil after cleaning. Now assuming some oil does come off and gets sucked into the engine it's reasonable to believe that this occurs over a relatively long period of time (not all 15ml gets sucked at once). And if we were to have a MAF sensor the cross section of wire in the intake tract is going to be rather small. The amount of oil that gets onto the MAF is also most likely going to be minimal, now I am unsure of what actually occurs when the oil gets on the MAF that causes it to fail but I assume that the oil must stay on the wire for a period of time to make it start to make a difference, and if the oil can be sucked off a cotton mesh then the oil will sure as hell be sucked off a relatively smooth wire.

I am not trying to say that it is impossible for K&N filters to mess with your MAF since there have been cases of this occuring, I'm trying to say that by following the instructions it would most likely not happen though this is just an educated guess based on my assumptions. Given this however if the fit did use an MAF i probably would not use the K&N filter since it doesnt give much benefit other than the reusability factor.

And finally as for filtration, it is true that paper filters do filter better than K&N and all the other filters out there claiming to be hi flow or wutever. It's common sense that if you want better filtration you will have more restriction, you cant have both. I have brought up the BITOG test beforehand which shows that paper filters DO indeed let quite alot of contaminants through with K&N and similar filters letting even MORE contaminants through. I deem it not that serious an issue because the tests results were rather similar and to me did not offset the reusability of the K&N. The increase in flow is minimal and did not affect my decision to use it.

As for washing and servicing making the filter less effective... I have not heard about this before and I don't see why this would be, perhaps you can explain to me the reasoning behind it because I cant seem to think of one. To me washing the filter is analagous to washing my clothes, i dont see the weave of my t shirts getting worse significantly over time and this is after many cycles of washing and tumble trying, servicing of a K&N is much less damaging imho.

That's my 2 p right there.

Old 05-19-2007, 03:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by quangalang
theres no winning, minds already set, and wtf are you using to clean these filters with??? carb cleaner??? to rip holes!? Ive used K&N filters on almost everything, from atv's to cars, NEVER had a filter have holes it in... these are not ppl's experiences, its wat they think is ****ing their car up, claymore was trying to clear it up, so dont start talkin shit pls

Old 05-19-2007, 03:40 AM
5 Year Member
KnifeEdge 2K1, that is the most intelligent post yet in this post. Ignore the troll.
x290905905905

Old 01-23-2008, 12:49 PM
my 2 cents.

Ok. The same old topic. Can we move on? Or do we need to get dyno numbers for the HKS Super Hybrid, the K&N, and the AMS units? (if they have one)
I think the difference in hp gains will be small enough that this would evolve into arguing over consistency of air temps etc. ROFL.

Will this "first mod" make a big difference? On our lovely little L15 the answer is of course not, especially since you are still using the stock air box.
I have used these before but they were the conical units. It was also on a turbocharged engine where it did make a noticeable difference.

The holes argument.
If you rinse with just running water with out a spray nozzle you shouldn't get holes.
Also, it doesn't need cleaned but every 50k miles or so.
The poor filtration argument I think would be more true for cold air applications.

Yes the more flow the less filtration and vice versa! I know my little FIT is not a striped EG hatch with a B18C1 under the hood and I'm not looking to race it YET either so I will opt for replacing the air filter with the factory paper as scheduled until I see some interesting numbers on paper. :-)

Old 01-27-2008, 10:51 AM
Thumbs up

Damn that red Fit looks good.