Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

HFP exaust, axle back, questions, answers

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by peg_leg
i installed my hfp muffler yesterday went for a 16 mile drive stopped to get gas and my fit smelled like it was on fire. a real bad metal smell so i went around back and the muffler was smoking and i was like wtf. i reached down and it was so hot you couldn't touch it i wonder if i got a bad one and its stopped up? i took it off in the parking lot and yes it was installed right i'm taking it back tommorow
the heat to the muffler is right. the muffler will get very hot even on a somewhat of a short drive. and as for the smell it is perfectly normal there probably is some sort of coating on the out side of the metal so when they hold their integrity when their sitting on a shelf waiting to be sold, and that smell should go away relatively soon.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TurnOnTrance
the heat to the muffler is right. the muffler will get very hot even on a somewhat of a short drive. and as for the smell it is perfectly normal there probably is some sort of coating on the out side of the metal so when they hold their integrity when their sitting on a shelf waiting to be sold, and that smell should go away relatively soon.
couldnt have said it any better then that.

it will definitely go away

Old 02-26-2008, 09:57 AM
5 Year Member
I got a question... i got a buddy at honda who can get the HFP for me for $150, that being said ima take it! But I was thinking, wouldn't it make sense to have a performance shop put a wider down pipe between the cat and my new axle-back? Would't this make it a bit louder and allow better flow?

Old 02-26-2008, 10:44 AM
5 Year Member
Do you mean a mid-pipe? Down pipes are only for turbo'd cars unless you're putting in a test pipe which deletes the cat altogether (this is commonly refered to as a down pipe). Replacing any pipe in the exhaust with bigger tubing is usually always beneficial unless you go too big, max I'd go with the Fit would be 2.5" with basic bolt-ons.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Hey guys, I just bought my 08 Fit sport last Thursday, I upgraded from a basic-modded 00 Civic SI (I/H/E, shifter, 45shot of NOS, blah blah blah) and Im really missing the sound of my Apexi exhaust, so Im gonna put an exhaust on it. I thought about the HPF exhaust, and I also considered just grabbing a universal Borla/Flowmaster muffler, and welding it on. Has anyone tried this? I know the HP gains are minimal, im just looking for a little more aggressive tone. Has anyone tried this, or am I better off just finding the HPF on ebay. Any thoughts? I hate super loud cars, and my Apexi on my civic was perfect. Im wanting something similar...

Old 02-27-2008, 03:05 PM
5 Year Member
If your looking for something similiar to the Apexi then why not just go Apexi. Just ordered the WS2 Apexi Axle back on ebay. If you read around someone posted a video of that exhaust or you can youtube.com search for Honda Fit Apexi.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:07 AM
Originally Posted by sLiVeRwOrM
its to much money for just a muffler..
well you figure its an axleback... your paying 250 for a f1 or aspec... i paid 225 for mine cuz i have the parts hookup at honda

Old 08-09-2008, 05:29 PM
I put my hfp muffler on today... man this thing is so quiet you can hardly tell you have a diff muffler on the car just a slight growl.. do you guys know does it get a little louder with time or after break in???? Its almost too quiet imo..

Old 10-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Can anyone please tell me what the internal diameter of the piping is for the HFP muffler?

Old 10-17-2008, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by peg_leg
i installed my hfp muffler yesterday went for a 16 mile drive stopped to get gas and my fit smelled like it was on fire. a real bad metal smell so i went around back and the muffler was smoking and i was like wtf. i reached down and it was so hot you couldn't touch it i wonder if i got a bad one and its stopped up? i took it off in the parking lot and yes it was installed right i'm taking it back tommorow
It smells like that at first because the materials inside the canister are burning up. It's normal. It'll go away soon. Nothing to worry about.

Originally Posted by Dghboy
I put my hfp muffler on today... man this thing is so quiet you can hardly tell you have a diff muffler on the car just a slight growl.. do you guys know does it get a little louder with time or after break in???? Its almost too quiet imo..
It'll break in after about 500-1000 miles. Then it'll sound nice and sexy.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Nabisco
Can anyone please tell me what the internal diameter of the piping is for the HFP muffler?

i want to know also cause i might be interested in purchasing this exhaust

Old 02-27-2009, 06:43 PM
I got a HFP muff. I love it, hate laud exhaust. I find it sounds a bit like a stock civic si. I have also noticed I get better fuel mileage with it, yes I have taken it off and on and I will get a additional 30 km to a tank. So sweet. I wouldnt worry about noise laws when on a AT it is quiet. Pricing was not a issue for me as I work at a dealer and honda canada had them on clearence, got mine for $135.00 can.

Last edited by FITTECH; 02-27-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:14 AM
HID Addict
hopefully, this 17 year old noob wont bother anyone >.< whats the difference between HFP, headers, cat backs, and axel backs. if i was lookin for a subtle but noticable deep tone, what would i look at? maybe a little high tone in the higher revs? and i hear things about b-pipes, wats that? sorri for the bother =S and am i right, that intakes makes the sound a little higher pitch? any other mods that change sounds? besides engine of course :P driving 08 sport AT

P.S.: looked at a list of clips for exahust systems, came down to possible 3 choices, still looking :P

YouTube - Honda Fit with I/H/E I/H/E
YouTube - J's Racing 50RR on a Honda Fit (drive by) J's Racing 50RR [2nd choice]
YouTube - Honda Fit, Apexi Axle-Back, drive 2 Apexi axel back [1st choice]

any warnings? -shrugs-

Old 02-28-2009, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by Rubba Burna
hopefully, this 17 year old noob wont bother anyone >.< whats the difference between HFP, headers, cat backs, and axel backs. if i was lookin for a subtle but noticable deep tone, what would i look at? maybe a little high tone in the higher revs? and i hear things about b-pipes, wats that? sorri for the bother =S and am i right, that intakes makes the sound a little higher pitch? any other mods that change sounds? besides engine of course :P driving 08 sport AT

P.S.: looked at a list of clips for exahust systems, came down to possible 3 choices, still looking :P

YouTube - Honda Fit with I/H/E I/H/E
YouTube - J's Racing 50RR on a Honda Fit (drive by) J's Racing 50RR [2nd choice]
YouTube - Honda Fit, Apexi Axle-Back, drive 2 Apexi axel back [1st choice]

any warnings? -shrugs-
Hi there, HFP means Honda Factory Performance (wont void your warr), A header is a performace replacement for your exhaust manifold, cat back is a compleat replacement kit that will replace your exhaust from the cataletic converter back, axel back is a muffler only goes from the rear axel back. Now is what you got on your car right now (stock), from the engine there is a exhaust manifold, then the A (front) pipe, then the cat (emmisions), then the B (center) pipe, then the muffler (axel back). I love my HFP muffler it gives the car a nice tuned sound that is not anoying.
If you are just looking for sound just do the axel back and a intake. The intake will let the engine breath better to give you the optimum sound for the muffler you deside on buying. If you want to make more power from the engine then go nuts and replace it all, remember you pay for what you get, so shop wisely.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:33 PM
HID Addict
Originally Posted by FITTECH
Hi there, HFP means Honda Factory Performance (wont void your warr), A header is a performace replacement for your exhaust manifold, cat back is a compleat replacement kit that will replace your exhaust from the cataletic converter back, axel back is a muffler only goes from the rear axel back. Now is what you got on your car right now (stock), from the engine there is a exhaust manifold, then the A (front) pipe, then the cat (emmisions), then the B (center) pipe, then the muffler (axel back). I love my HFP muffler it gives the car a nice tuned sound that is not anoying.
If you are just looking for sound just do the axel back and a intake. The intake will let the engine breath better to give you the optimum sound for the muffler you deside on buying. If you want to make more power from the engine then go nuts and replace it all, remember you pay for what you get, so shop wisely.
ooo i finally kno lol yea i juss figured out wat the intake was for heh planning on getting a cold air intake, air is more dense they say, and some axel back/HFP, so im on the right track ^.^ thanks man, reps to ya

one other question, are intakes and axel backs DIYs? or wuh?

Old 03-03-2009, 08:40 PM
HID Addict
BUMP, are axel backs and intakes DIY installs?

can't find the prices for these exhaust, someone mind helping me? or correct me if im wrong, if im way out of range

Buddy Club Race Spec
Apexi- World Sport II - $315
RS-R C&K
HKS Hi-Power - $250
J's Racing 50RR (is it "five zero" RR? or "five" [letter O] RR?
Megan
Mugen (not the racing one)

all axel backs

Old 05-15-2009, 03:01 AM
5 Year Member
I was thinking about picking up the HFP muffler, just wondering if you guys know how to mod it to how its not sitting so low? HandA acessories have it on sale for $188, so i was gonna get it.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:00 AM
5 Year Member
i wouldnt worry about it being too low. it isnt like its gonna scrape

Old 05-15-2009, 10:35 AM
5 Year Member
i want it tucked under a bit for more of a cosmetic reason.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
you can use worm clamps to pull it up. you can find them at autozone/kregan/pep boys, costs between $3 and $5

or

you can mount the exhaust's hangars into the center of the rubber mounts instead of the round space at the end. that's free unless you want to paypal me $0.50 for the idea

Quick Reply: HFP exaust, axle back, questions, answers