Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Kraftwerks SC vs. AJR turbo. Discuss.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by jscooter
so like 4000 for like 35 more hp? seems to me an engine swap would be more bang for the buck..or am i missing something here?
It would be MORE bang for MORE buck

Old 03-28-2008, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by DynamicFit
Dude your math is really off. 147-98= 49 additional whp. I'd like to see you get a swap off for only 4000 and make that much power. Also the AJ kit can be upgraded to make something like 160+ hp. For that price you are getting a pretty good deal for the things they are giving you.
i just guessed i didnt do math....but you have to buy what to upgrade? header ($500) injectors ($250) ok it comes with the E-manage now...ok what else the total so for is roughly 5000 (depending on the parts you wanna buy) so why not just buy a K20 ($3000-$5000) and mounts ($400) and get more hp? b/c THEN you can s/c that (if you wanted to) OR just add new pistons and shit to get more hp from an all motor set-up? to me it just seems like it would be cheaper to do a swap for that much gain. correct me if im wrong though, i'm not saying i know everything just trying to get the facts b/c this a big investment either way.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by jscooter
i just guessed i didnt do math....but you have to buy what to upgrade? header ($500) injectors ($250) ok it comes with the E-manage now...ok what else the total so for is roughly 5000 (depending on the parts you wanna buy) so why not just buy a K20 ($3000-$5000) and mounts ($400) and get more hp? b/c THEN you can s/c that (if you wanted to) OR just add new pistons and shit to get more hp from an all motor set-up? to me it just seems like it would be cheaper to do a swap for that much gain. correct me if im wrong though, i'm not saying i know everything just trying to get the facts b/c this a big investment either way.
Its true that you can get more HP from a K20 swap then if you wanted add on a supercharger. But then you wouldnt be able to retain your 30+ MPG with the set up. If you were to go Turbo or supercharge with the stock engine you would be able to keep your 30+ MPG which is a big plus since gas prices are on the rise. For me I am looking for more HP while being able to keep my 30+ MPG. Im not saying that a swap wouldnt be nice but it would cost about 10k ish as gettinafit stated unless you do everything your self. This is looking at the MPG vs HP point of view.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by its.ryu
Its true that you can get more HP from a K20 swap then if you wanted add on a supercharger. But then you wouldnt be able to retain your 30+ MPG with the set up. If you were to go Turbo or supercharge with the stock engine you would be able to keep your 30+ MPG which is a big plus since gas prices are on the rise. For me I am looking for more HP while being able to keep my 30+ MPG. Im not saying that a swap wouldnt be nice but it would cost about 10k ish as gettinafit stated unless you do everything your self. This is looking at the MPG vs HP point of view.
i see your point and yes i would do it all myself...so are there and drag track times with kit? if so then what are they?

Old 03-28-2008, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gawa
It would be 147 whp in total... that would include the original 98 whp.
Correction: Most if not all dynos show 85-87whp with the stock MT.
This number comes from AJR, Kraftwerks, Weapon R just to name a few.
It shows the base Fit results vs their added mod (intake, header, exhaust or else).

Now, 147 vs 87 is 60whp gain or 69% of power added to the wheels!!!!
It should be enough to make a NOTICEABLE difference.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by its.ryu
My friend's RSX Type-S gets about 30MPG.

Honestly I love the Fit and I plan on fixing up the aesthetics on this thing for a couple years, and then doing a K20 swap. Something about a car looking stock and then having something huge like a K20 swap sounds orgasmic. But that's just me.

Also can anyone verify a previous poster's comment saying adding the SC equates to about the same weight increase as doing a K20 swap?

Old 05-05-2008, 12:15 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by Wuze

Also can anyone verify a previous poster's comment saying adding the SC equates to about the same weight increase as doing a K20 swap?
I will be able to verify very soon. whats the weight difference between the 2 stock engines to begin with?

Old 05-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by REXXXXXXXXX
I will be able to verify very soon. whats the weight difference between the 2 stock engines to begin with?
Umm I think I read that the K20 is 100lb more? Then everyone was crying about how it would take away from it's handling or summat.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wuze
Umm I think I read that the K20 is 100lb more? Then everyone was crying about how it would take away from it's handling or summat.

the last siphon class lap battle had a couple k20 powered fits....they all came in AFTER the boosted l15's that also raced.

there is some food for thought.

i know a lot of folks are contemplating a kswap as a more useful way to get power...but lets face it, its not the most economical. k20's in any iteration don't get 30mpg to the gallon unles they are babied and remember, all you have to do is achive it one time to start bragging about it. I'd hardly call that consistency. and even then, you are still babying the car.

and the cost of a k20 swap is a lot more than just the cost of the engine and the mounts. unless you are ready to cut the frame yourself, and do everything else on your own, its an expensive boat to sail.

personally, if i was going to go throught the trouble, i'd k20 an older civic hatch or crx, something that has been done quite a bit.

i still think boosting a fit is the best way to get decent power for little coin.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:16 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
lets stay on topic guys, this isnt a vs k20 thread.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:28 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
turbo or sc, better than a k20 swap because it doesnt kill the balance of the car. imo turbo is better but sc has its benefits. either way is a great option to squeeze as much power as possible out of a 1.5 liter sohc economy minded engine. i think with the fit you have to ask yourself not how much power can i get out of my engine, but how much is enough.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
turbo or sc, better than a k20 swap because it doesnt kill the balance of the car. imo turbo is better but sc has its benefits. either way is a great option to squeeze as much power as possible out of a 1.5 liter sohc economy minded engine. i think with the fit you have to ask yourself not how much power can i get out of my engine, but how much is enough.
I abide by the rules set long ago. A great man once said "MORE POWWERRRR!!!!!!!!!!!".
My life has never been the same

Old 05-07-2008, 05:57 PM
to me tc>sc because of the potential for more hp, but like previously stated it depends on your priorties.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:43 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
also, when you install a turbo, the exhaust note takes on a completely different sound where as with a supercharger, you still have that bumble bee drone that hondas are famous for.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:18 PM
Ya I always get that, " your teg doesn't sound like a Honda,".
but having boost in one afternoon sounds appealing.

ah when in doubt get both

Old 05-08-2008, 01:21 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
also, when you install a turbo, the exhaust note takes on a completely different sound where as with a supercharger, you still have that bumble bee drone that hondas are famous for.
i remember jdmchris sayin that with the SC, it just sounds like a bigger motor. Im very happy with the sound of my car, i love the fact that it doesnt sound like a sewing machine

Old 05-08-2008, 01:58 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by REXXXXXXXXX
i remember jdmchris sayin that with the SC, it just sounds like a bigger motor. Im very happy with the sound of my car, i love the fact that it doesnt sound like a sewing machine
I said it feels like a bigger motor! lol. Sound will of course depend on your exhaust setup. The KW Time attack fit sounds like it has a K20 in it! sounds MEAN!

Old 05-08-2008, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by eldaino
the last siphon class lap battle had a couple k20 powered fits....they all came in AFTER the boosted l15's that also raced.

there is some food for thought.
Shitty drivers.

But seriously, aesthetics are the main for my Fit, and the power will be later when I have the money. Unless Mugen releases that prototype supercharger or Spoon makes a turbo, I doubt I'm going to do anything (no offense to the companies with these out already; it isn't you, it's me).