Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

A tip for people looking for exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 02:21 PM
A tip for people looking for exhaust

I've had my Fit for over 3 months now and I've always wanted to get rid of the stock exhaust and get performance one, but I was always worried that it would be too loud or that it would shake the whole car (I've had experience with other bigger engine cars with cat backs). I saw this thread on the forums about someone removing the exhaust and so I tried it and it sounds great. After awhile of driving I got paranoid about the exhaust leaking in the car so I bought an HKS Hi-power exhaust and to my surprise it sounds the same I don't exactly know where the other posters get the idea that certain exhaust gives the Fit a ratty sound when without the muffler it doesn't have a ratty sound in the first place, now I don't know how much louder it will be without a cat but who wants that? Hope this helps someone

Old 01-24-2008, 12:12 AM
So are you pretty happy with your Hi-Power exhaust on your AT?

When you said after putting the Hi-Power on, your car sounded the same, did you mean it sounded the same as in without an exhaust or the sames as the stock exhaust?

Pictures?

Old 01-24-2008, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member
unless you care about the "bling" a custom catback or axleback is SO much cheaper. i got quoted $140 for a catback at a local muffler shop.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member
hfp axle back ftw imho

Old 01-24-2008, 01:02 AM
5 Year Member
hmmm, so would u say the HKS is louder or quieter than without having a muffler. Cause im loving the looks of the HKS but if its to loud then i dont want it.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:44 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
unless you care about the "bling" a custom catback or axleback is SO much cheaper. i got quoted $140 for a catback at a local muffler shop.
is that for stainless piping and can? stainless i not just for "bling" as
you mentioned. for me it's for durability.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
You need to be careful w/ those custom exhaust as they may not be made to the same standard as the more brand name version and can sound horrible...if you're not not which shop is good, it's best to get the name and be safe w/ the deep tone...

Old 01-24-2008, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member

and the catback there is crushed bent. there are very little mandrel bend exhaust shops around. its too expensive to have the machine.

so yeah its cheaper, but then you get cheaper quality material and not as much performance out of it.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:49 PM
When I installed the HKS exhaust it sounded the same as when I didn't have the muffler on my car, I doubt that placing an expensive exhaust gives much hp to the fit, it's probably the same as having the muffler out. The Fit without the exhaust or having any other type of axle back exhaust is not that loud, it has a nice serious rumble to it now if you remove the resonator, I don't know I've heard of some cat-delete systems but I think that's getting a bit ridiculous specially if you don't race the Fit legally. I did notice that I do burn more fuel now, even though I try to drive under 3,000 rpm.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
our local muffler shop did my del sol's 2.5 inch exhaust 2 years ago. i was very pleased with the work they did, and when i pulled the exhaust off, after the theft, it was still in excellent condition.

im not knocking people getting exhaust like the megan, skunk2, or teh j's racing. but up to $1000 for exhaust? lol.

the owner of the local shop *ed's RPM* in vallejo, knows his stuff. he used to work at avery greene honda in teh early 90's. back when they'd sponsor cars. he had a 12 second crx in 1993. i trust him when he says, that on a stock engine will not perform better with mandrel bends as compared to crush bends. i'll get pix of my brother's exhaust, that was done earlier this week.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
also, buy a nice muffler, and have an exhaust shop weld it up. shouldn't cost too much.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:36 PM
I'll type this in all caps to get the point across:

IF YOU DRIVE WITHOUT YOUR EXHAUST, YOU CAN CAUSE ENGINE DAMAGE. AND YOU'RE GOING TO GO SLOWER.

How (and why) you ask? Very simple: if you don't have enough back pressure, you can burn the valves.

Having experience with motorcycles, I can honestly tell you that a free-flowing exhaust OR the lack of exhaust should always be done with an adjustment to carbs or the fuel injection settings (depending on the motor set-up). Not running mufflers will result in burned valves eventually as there is no back pressure. Hell, just running at high revs without proper mapping can do it with a high-flow exhaust system.

Here's the other thing: you will actually lose torque if you run without mufflers. Ever see a big fat harley with drag pipes (ie - no mufflers)? They basically have gotten rid of all their torque.

So how come race cars don't have mufflers? Well, if you can afford to constantly rebuild engines, then it's worth it when you're competing for the big bucks.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gar1013
I'll type this in all caps to get the point across:

IF YOU DRIVE WITHOUT YOUR EXHAUST, YOU CAN CAUSE ENGINE DAMAGE. AND YOU'RE GOING TO GO SLOWER.

How (and why) you ask? Very simple: if you don't have enough back pressure, you can burn the valves.

Having experience with motorcycles, I can honestly tell you that a free-flowing exhaust OR the lack of exhaust should always be done with an adjustment to carbs or the fuel injection settings (depending on the motor set-up). Not running mufflers will result in burned valves eventually as there is no back pressure. Hell, just running at high revs without proper mapping can do it with a high-flow exhaust system.

Here's the other thing: you will actually lose torque if you run without mufflers. Ever see a big fat harley with drag pipes (ie - no mufflers)? They basically have gotten rid of all their torque.

So how come race cars don't have mufflers? Well, if you can afford to constantly rebuild engines, then it's worth it when you're competing for the big bucks.
i agree with this totally.