Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Throttle controllers, yea!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
I'll be looking to see what this cost. To me this is a Honda defect as in poor design and Honda should resolve it for us.
I had know idea that the Honda TBW was so bad before I made my purchase.

I searched just yesterday and found a pile of threads on the www from very PO Civic users with the same system. Complaints about the lag is the No 1 issue. I posted many on the main form under shifting issues

Old 02-27-2008, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
Blitz' unit is expected around $350, Pivot's $200-300 per the info I found. No official prices have been posted though that I've seen firsthand. Still, that's not too bad all things considered.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
Ok, slight update -- apparently the 4/08 issue of Option magazine has an article on the Blitz throttle controller on pgs. 106-107. Planned price is 39,900 yen, or about $375.00. I can't get my hands on that issue, but now that info is out in detail, I'm sure people are going to start talking about it -- especially the new Fit and CTR guys. I did find a photo though -- the new Blitz catalog has it listed and one owner took a snap of the insert. Release is still set for March according to the mag. Will keep watching as always.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:16 AM
Tagging for interest.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
Chikubi,
from the pics of the magazine, it looks like device has settings for "ECO" (Honda OEM set up) as a base and then 3 custom settings.

I could do without fancy display and case with simple switches for less money, LOL! Darn I do not know anything about electronics beyond verifying individual components (testing with downloaded OEM spec sheets from manufacturer's websites) which is what I did as a part of my last job.

This gadget needs to be hard wired to the OEM harness splicing signals from the gas pedal & throttle body as well as angle sensor. It takes gas pedal potentiometer readings and sends them either mildly altered (2 of the 3 custom settings) or as direct as it gets to the throttle body while tricking OEM computer that values it sends are being used so "check engine" light does not pop up and send ECU in the limp mode.

In case anybody got the idea to add mechanical device to drive throttle body directly of the gas pedal (such as cable) beside OEM electronic set up, forget about it. As soon as you turn the ignition on, throttle body servo motor energizes and deems butterfly locked. You can't open it unless you use lot of force which will damage gearing or the servo motor itself. With ignition off, you can push it open (for cleaning gazillion miles from now), but that will throw the check engine on. Reason being, when you turn the ignition off, with the slight delay the butterfly resets by moving to slightly open position and back down into fully closed position. That is the clicking you can hear after you turn the car off, if you really perk up your ears. You can see it if you remove intake tubing and somebody shuts the engine for you.
I verified that butterfly has the 100% open position by turning the key from ignition ON to accessory position and pushing the butterfly open. You have to do this rather quick since OBD plug goes into sleep mode within few seconds from turning the ignition off. I can also report that there is the delay in reporting the butterfly angle, when you alter it, on my laptop software. There must be slight delay reporting the angle to the ECU too which explains the lack of throttle response with the DBW in the Fit.
I attribute the extra delay during my observation to the software I was using. It definitely does not flashes sensors as quick as ECU does.
This justified my bitching, about throttle body butterfly not opening beyond 79% at WOT in 5th gear uphill, to me.

Can't wait to get my hands on one of these controllers!

Ivan

Old 03-04-2008, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
Can the Hondata alter DBW programming in other models? I'm new to Honda's, but Hypertech, Superchips, etc. all reprogram the factory DBW in domestics. If the Hondata can do it, it will be our best all around mod.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:52 AM
5 Year Member
Bumping, I MUST NOT LET THIS DIES.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:12 AM
5 Year Member
Tagged for interest. This looks interesting.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
the JDM fit has a cable throttle, right? can we swap the TB and throttle cable into USDM fits? we'd probably need the ECU too then.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tofuman
the JDM fit has a cable throttle, right? can we swap the TB and throttle cable into USDM fits? we'd probably need the ECU too then.
JDM 1st gen does have a cable, so it's theoretically possible to do this. ECU would be an issue, but there's probably a way to deal with it. 2nd gen Fit have DBW like ours, so for them throttle controllers, etc. are the answer.

BTW, found an owner last night that purchased a Blitz controller and put it on his EVO X and Colt R. He said in either case the install was simply plugging it in between the pedal and harness, and then also 1 line into the ACC fuse, and that's all. I only skimmed the review, but it did have an effect. I'll read it closer when I get more time tonight. I am encouraged by the fact it worked on non-Honda cars as well, so this may be an indicator it shold be fine on our Fits too.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:28 AM
5 Year Member
Tagged for interest. This might be what I need. I would love full control of the throttle. When I step on it I want the throttle to be wide open til I let go of the gas. Its great that we would be able to switch from ECO to w/e mode. I'm gonna put off buying some stuff so I can afford one of these.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:32 PM
definate tag for interest. i hate how 100% throttle feels like 40%

Old 03-16-2008, 03:47 AM
5 Year Member
It's very strange to me that tb doesn't open 100%.
In my Jazz I have apexi connected to TB and it always displays 100% open when I push and so with Vehicle Explorer (PC) and with gpl ecu...
First try to control with a digital multimeter, it's sure more precise ( tb signals it's 5-0 volts).
Second I would check air fuel mixture... You cannot pretend ecu adjusts all your mods; you should be happy if your ecu closes Tb to prevent any damages...
Third instead of spending money with this controller, I'd buy a larger TB.....

Old 03-16-2008, 04:04 AM
5 Year Member
I think that it happens to you mine opposite....
I have a gpl system too. At the beginning around 3000 rpm and 50% opening, tb opened at 100%!!!! I didn't understand why: it was air/fuel (gpl) too rich!!!!
It seems the contrary to you.... If ecu closes tb there should be a reason...

Old 03-16-2008, 08:34 AM
5 Year Member
I have an issue with the TBW LAG, but have read the reports of partial throttle and I'm interested in the facts on that.

My scan gauge has the TPS on it and when running down the road I see it go 100% when I mat it it.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
I have an issue with the TBW LAG, but have read the reports of partial throttle and I'm interested in the facts on that.

My scan gauge has the TPS on it and when running down the road I see it go 100% when I mat it it.
Interesting.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Just tagging this thread. Thanks.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
Ok, seems Pivot finally released info on their controller, the "3 Drive" a few days ago. Here's the web site: PRODUCT If you scroll down the page a bit there's a Flash demo of what it does available, and if you scroll down to the bottom there's 2 .pdf's you can DL as well. Left one is the catalog for the unit and shows the response curve, settings, etc.; right one is the harness list. To buy one of these you buy the unit itself, and then the applicable harness. The controller is ~$231 and the harness is ~$50, so about $280.00 USD total for the setup. From the description, looks to be like the Blitz controller setup-wise, with the unit plugging in between the pedal and ECU. It has 3 modes of operation: Normal, Eco, and Sports, and between all the modes theres 12 steps of adjustability -- Normal is just that, OEM normal; Sports has 7 levels, and Eco has 5. From the looks of it, it simply modifies the response curve of the TB in relation to pedal input. I seriously doubt that it's going to eliminate the bit of rev-hang that's built into the DBW system, but I do think it'll vastly improve the overall feel and responsiveness of the engine in general, and make what lag there is maybe less obtrusive. Anyway, now to talk to my friends and see if I can get my hands on one of these to play with.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm, It seems that the Pivots 3 drive is a better design than the Blitz model. However from the looks of the pdf file on the Pivots site, there isn't a harness for the Honda Fit, at least for our models.

I'll be awaiting more info

Old 03-19-2008, 11:17 PM
sooo when can we buy one?

Quick Reply: Throttle controllers, yea!