Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

R18 swap? easy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 07:52 PM
R18 swap? easy?

Has anyone considered the r18 as budget swap intead of the slightly pricey k20? I've never seen where the mounts are in the civic...how hard would this one be? It would be nice to have 140/128 intead of 109/105....just a thought.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:23 PM
RDS
I considered this last night and will take a look into it. To my knowledge though, the R18 block alone is still just as pricey as a complete K20A3 with tranny and you'll still need engine management (there's nothing currently for the R18), axles and mounts, at the least. The K20A3 has its ups, but the trade-off is increased weight over the front axles, and a crappy head. The best and cheapest option when it's all said and done would probably still be to just boost the L15A. You'll wind up with slightly more hp and more torque than either the K20A3 or R18. The extra money could be spent on a Quaife LSD .

We're looking into alternatives though with the stock L15A.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:21 AM
Banned
All you have to do is SEARCH or look around and you will find ALL THE OTHER "R" SWAP POSTS. They have covered this topic over and over again. just a thought

Old 03-31-2008, 02:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 1990hondahf
Has anyone considered the r18 as budget swap intead of the slightly pricey k20? I've never seen where the mounts are in the civic...how hard would this one be? It would be nice to have 140/128 intead of 109/105....just a thought.
The Kraftwerks supercharger ups the power to about 121whp with no other mods. That's just the base 5psi kit, no intercooler (as far as I know and could find out).

90avg whp/109bhp-->KW SC 5psi --> 121whp/~145bhp

You'd probably be better out going the SC/TC route if you want more power.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:05 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Plus there is not much aftermarket support for the R series engine.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by claymore
All you have to do is SEARCH or look around and you will find ALL THE OTHER "R" SWAP POSTS. They have covered this topic over and over again. just a thought

over and over again??????.....I found 1 other post....

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...highlight=swap

-1 for you Mr sarcasm.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:09 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
R18? Civic right?
Everything is backwards from what I remember. Intake manifold by the firewall and exhaust mani up front. I think theres a lot more work them some may think.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
R18? Civic right?
Everything is backwards from what I remember. Intake manifold by the firewall and exhaust mani up front. I think theres a lot more work them some may think.
Also, the exhaust manifold is built into the cylinder block.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:39 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by cojaro
Also, the exhaust manifold is built into the cylinder block.
Ughhh. I think was told about that.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:01 PM
Keep it up with smart comments and you will be finding yourself SEARCHING for another forum to troll on.....

Old 03-31-2008, 06:53 PM
honda accord K24 with RSX 5speed tranny is the best overall budget swap IMO. mounts, engine management parts. shouldn't be more than $4k and you get 160ft lbs of torque and 160hp in a motor that responds well to bolt-ons

Old 03-31-2008, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
the mounts and all that would cost the same. why not do ti right.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
The thing I like better about the R18 is the ability to keep using regular gas, and possibly get better milage than the L15, plus the lighter weight (as far as I can find) than the K20/24.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:22 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by ChrisG
Keep it up with smart comments and you will be finding yourself SEARCHING for another forum to troll on.....
Mr. moderator have you pointed out their mistake to EVERYONE that tells someone to search or are you singling me out for some nefarious reason all of your own making?

Old 04-01-2008, 03:33 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by 1990hondahf
over and over again??????.....I found 1 other post....

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...highlight=swap

-1 for you Mr sarcasm.
Guess you missed this one
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ht=engine+swap

And if you keep looking there is even a post with a photo of it done. Hint search Thailand....

- 1 for you

Last edited by claymore; 04-01-2008 at 03:39 AM. Reason: one more for chrisG that the OP missed
Old 04-01-2008, 08:13 AM
Mr. moderator have you pointed out their mistake to EVERYONE that tells someone to search or are you singling me out for some nefarious reason all of your own making?
There was no need for you to jump him for telling him to search. You were a forum noob at one point, so respect others on this board. They dont need to receive a bad experience on this site because someone like yourself decides to be rebel and tell him to use the Search button.

Consider this your warning.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:23 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by ChrisG

Actually I'm incredulous at your selective overzealous moderating that you take in my case. You, other members, and other moderators feel free to use the forbidden word "Search" but yet you chose to publicly admonish myself and no one else for doing the same thing why is that?

Your moderating is selective with some members allowed to post these fine examples of denigrating my family:

in thread https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/off-topic-discussion/21434-fat-chick-wipes-out.html#post241392

Post number 6 about a fat chick..

"haha, wasn't that claymore's girlfriend?"

post number 7 same thread

"rofl x 44

just because..

How about today's outburst the latest:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...epairs-16.html

Post # 309

"From your past comments I don't think you have it in you. You are not married to your sister are you, Claymore? Perhaps you are the product of a brother/sister baby? Just a thought."

and: "Is that your sister calling you Claymore?"

I guess you missed those and many other examples of others doing much more egregious posting than telling someone to search...... but wait those posts were reported to all the moderators so I guess you saw them and collectively decided that since they were making fun of claymore there was no problem with them and NO ACTION WAS TAKEN AGAINST THE POSTERS not even a THREAT OF BANNING LIKE YOU CHOSE TO DO IN MY CASE.

So I'm wondering publicly ( like you chose to do ) why was no action taken against those posting degenerating posts about my family members but yet you felt it was necessary to publicly threaten me with a ban for doing nothing more than you or other moderators and many other members do also??

Old 04-01-2008, 09:08 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Actually I'm incredulous at your selective overzealous moderating that you take in my case. You, other members, and other moderators feel free to use the forbidden word "Search" but yet you chose to publicly admonish myself and no one else for doing the same thing why is that?

Your moderating is selective with some members allowed to post these fine examples of denigrating my family:

in thread https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/off-topic-discussion/21434-fat-chick-wipes-out.html#post241392

Post number 6 about a fat chick..

"haha, wasn't that claymore's girlfriend?"

post number 7 same thread

"rofl x 44

just because..

How about today's outburst the latest:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...epairs-16.html

Post # 309

"From your past comments I don't think you have it in you. You are not married to your sister are you, Claymore? Perhaps you are the product of a brother/sister baby? Just a thought."

and: "Is that your sister calling you Claymore?"

I guess you missed those and many other examples of others doing much more egregious posting than telling someone to search...... but wait those posts were reported to all the moderators so I guess you saw them and collectively decided that since they were making fun of claymore there was no problem with them and NO ACTION WAS TAKEN AGAINST THE POSTERS not even a THREAT OF BANNING LIKE YOU CHOSE TO DO IN MY CASE.

So I'm wondering publicly ( like you chose to do ) why was no action taken against those posting degenerating posts about my family members but yet you felt it was necessary to publicly threaten me with a ban for doing nothing more than you or other moderators and many other members do also??

nobody likes you

Old 04-01-2008, 09:13 AM
5 Year Member
I don't think he gets it.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:16 AM
I have never once told someone on this forum to use the "search" function of this board.

And if you dont like the comments, then report the posts. They will be taken care of.

If you didnt make such a bad reputation for yourself on this board, do you think the comments that people make about you would have started?

I mean honestly think about the situation you are in here? It seems as if your name is the only one that gets thrown around this website in a vulgar manner.....

No one else on this website seems to have a problem with one another. Maybe Im wrong here, but Im sure other members will agree that everyone gets along here just fine.

Quick Reply: R18 swap? easy?