Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Cold Air Intake system?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 04:39 PM
Cold Air Intake system?!?!

Ok, I apologize for being a complete noob. But with that said...

I want more hp for my fit without losing a noticable amount of mpg. I was looking at cold air intakes and they seem alright. Then I found a short ram intake, and even a carbon intake. Will someone please tell me the differences between these? Mainly prices, dificulty of installment, mpg loses, and what not.

ps - just installed floor well lights..pics up soon.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
well....

i like the cold air because it gives more mid range power.
short rams are normally for those who want a better throttle resonse and top end power.

and the carbon fiber intakes are usually the power chamber intakes, correct me if im wrong, better throttle response and mid range power.

i just went with the cold air because it it doesnt give me that whistle sound when im at a certain throttle spot like the short ram gives.

oh....i get better gas mileage with my intake then when im running my car stock.
its a noticeable gain too.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:55 PM
What about hydrolocking? I live in Oklahoma City and we get a decent amount of rain. If I do get a CAI should I but a bypass on it?

So, the CAI is more for the city driver?

Old 04-08-2008, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
some say a cai with a bypass is pretty much the same as a sri

Old 04-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by Sam Misled
What about hydrolocking? I live in Oklahoma City and we get a decent amount of rain. If I do get a CAI should I but a bypass on it?

So, the CAI is more for the city driver?
I live in Wichita, Kansas, so I know how the weather is.

I'm going to be building my own CAI from parts @ O'Reillys, the parts will cost about $40-50, but it'll work just as good as any of the other CAI/SRI's(with the exception of the chambered intakes).

I'm also going to be shelling out an extra $50 for one of these: AEM - Air Bypass Valve for Cold Air

In places where the weather is crazy you've got to be prepared for it, and a $50 breather is cheaper than a $5000 engine.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by drzenitram
I live in Wichita, Kansas, so I know how the weather is.

I'm going to be building my own CAI from parts @ O'Reillys, the parts will cost about $40-50, but it'll work just as good as any of the other CAI/SRI's(with the exception of the chambered intakes).

I'm also going to be shelling out an extra $50 for one of these: AEM - Air Bypass Valve for Cold Air

In places where the weather is crazy you've got to be prepared for it, and a $50 breather is cheaper than a $5000 engine.
True that. Do you know of a DIY on how to make and install your own CAI???? MUCH promps if you do!

Old 04-08-2008, 06:06 PM
you won't hydro-lock from rain. You have to drive through a puddle deep enough that the intake tube gets submesrsed in water of very close to it. In the case of the fit the water would have to be higher than the door jams

Old 04-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Old 04-08-2008, 06:47 PM
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...am-intake.html

If you have a manual tranny you can bend it down to get cold air rather than the hot air from the engine.

With automatic there's no room

Old 04-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by Injundon
you won't hydro-lock from rain. You have to drive through a puddle deep enough that the intake tube gets submesrsed in water of very close to it. In the case of the fit the water would have to be higher than the door jams

Here in Kansas we have some bad rains, and the rains bring the floods. It's probably 10-15 times a year that we have puddles deep enough to go up to your knee.

With OKC being as flat as Kansas and in the same climate zone, I'd assume they probably have the same thing.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
well then if you rock the aspec cold air. im 90% possitive your intake wouldnt even touch the puddles.

you will lose traction and all sorts of stuff if the rain is able to get to the filter.

you might with the injen or fujita. i actually sucked up some water, but thats because my filter is exposed to my tire and it was just splashing constant water on it.

but if you have the fenderlining you shouldnt worry about it.

go with the injen then, its a 2 piece. so when i rains just take off the bottom portion, and run it like a short ram. it wont take you more then 5 minutes to put it on/ take it off.

oh shit! i just read the post above me, up to your KNEE!

yeah rock the injen, or just fork out the money for the j racings carbon intake.

i dont know how the misimoto/h-fit is but everyeone loves the j racings brand.

either that or just go get yourself the fujita short ram and call it a day(make sure you get the black one)

Old 04-08-2008, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
i just bought the hiprospeed CAI and you can convert it from CAI to SRI in the rainy season. id highly suggest it, i love how it sounds and it feels way more strong when it revs up. it is a very nice set up and the filter is very nice. i love it and it definently added some HP

Old 04-09-2008, 12:11 AM
Do CAI/SRI work on automatics?

Do any of these suggestions save gas by chance?? Anyone have any links to these intakes?

One last question, I bought the 100,000 mile warranty from Honda for my fit and I was wondering if I installed an intake would it void my warranty?

Thanks again!!

Last edited by Sam Misled; 04-09-2008 at 12:27 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:33 AM
SRI WILL work on AT's.
CAI will NOT work.

Just not enough room for the CAI.

And as far as I can tell, everyone who has installed intakes HAS actually noticed mpg increases. Someone even reported like 7 mpg, but I don't know about that.

And, no, things that directly modify the engine such as nitrous, turbo/sc, replacing interior engine parts etc will void the warranty, but as far as intake/headers/exhaust, the only way they will void warranty is if the problem being warrantied can be directly linked to the installation of the intake/headers/exhaust.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:37 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
SRI WILL work on AT's.
CAI will NOT work.

And as far as I can tell, everyone who has installed intakes HAS actually noticed mpg increases. Someone even reported like 7 mpg, but I don't know about that.

And, no, things that directly modify the engine such as nitrous, turbo/sc, replacing interior engine parts etc will void the warranty, but as far as intake/headers/exhaust, the only way they will void warranty is if the problem being warrantied can be directly linked to the installation of the intake/headers/exhaust.
Not entirely correct, the Injen one works for Automatics

Old 04-09-2008, 12:45 AM
SRI WILL work on AT's.
CAI will NOT work.

So for the warranty, if I install the SRI myself and mess it up somehow, it WILL void my warranty. But if I have it professionally done, it WILL NOT void my warranty?

Also, would the T1R B-Max Carbon Intake fit an automatic?
A&J Racing :: Intake & Exhaust :: Fit/Jazz (GD3/4) :: T1R B-Max Carbon Intake - Honda Fit 2007 & UP

ALSO, if I dont do much highway driving and I try to keep my rpm's low to save gas, if I got a short ram intake, would it effect my city driving gas milage since I would not be having to high of rpms? or would it just be a waste of money? I am truly looking for a intake system that will raise my mpg and my hp. Any help is very VERY much liked. haha.

Thanks again everyone. I love fit freak...by far the best site on the net...even better than MYSPACE! haha

Last edited by Sam Misled; 04-09-2008 at 01:06 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:21 AM
Originally Posted by Sam Misled
So for the warranty, if I install the SRI myself and mess it up somehow, it WILL void my warranty. But if I have it professionally done, it WILL NOT void my warranty?

Also, would the T1R B-Max Carbon Intake fit an automatic?
A&J Racing :: Intake & Exhaust :: Fit/Jazz (GD3/4) :: T1R B-Max Carbon Intake - Honda Fit 2007 & UP

ALSO, if I dont do much highway driving and I try to keep my rpm's low to save gas, if I got a short ram intake, would it effect my city driving gas milage since I would not be having to high of rpms? or would it just be a waste of money? I am truly looking for a intake system that will raise my mpg and my hp. Any help is very VERY much liked. haha.

Thanks again everyone. I love fit freak...by far the best site on the net...even better than MYSPACE! haha
lol sorry, I think my words may have been misleading. it has nothing to do with who installs it, and in reality there's not much you can do to mess up an intake installation. Instead, the only way the warranty can be voided is if the part itself CAUSES the malfunction. For example... if you install a cold air intake that goes all the way down to 1" from the ground and you suck up water and hydrolock/destroy your engine, it won't be warrantied. Basically because that probably wouldn't have happened if you had the stock intake.

Does that make sense?

And, as far as selecting different intakes, I think that someone already mentioned that the SRI will give you throttle response and high-rpm power, the CAI gives you throttle response and power throughout the powerband, and the chambered intakes will give you throttle response and spiky power at "the right times"(at least that's how i understood it). You SORT OF get what you pay for, but realistically a $40 homemade intake will give you probably 5hp while a $250 one may give you 7 and a $400 one may give you 8.5.

As far as gas mileage improvements with ANY intake, I think that's still debatable.