Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Sugarphreak Dyno - Shocking Results!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 08:01 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Sugarphreak Dyno - Shocking Results!

So today started out pretty good, I cleaned my air filter in the morning and prepped the car for a day down at the Dyno with MR_ET and YeeFit. JDMish also showed up and took some video and pictures.

Big thanks to MR_ET for setting it up and also letting us use his stock Fit as a baseline to compare against.

Dyno Setup:
Mustang Dyno; approx 3000ft above sea level; about 9 deg outside

Sugarphreak; best of 3 runs
T1R B-Pipe
T1R 50S Exhaust
T1R Header
Greddy E-manage Ultimate - T1R Tuned
Unorthodox Racing Pulley (both alt and Crank)
WR Intake Manifold
Fujita CAI
Royal Purple Synthetic Oil
(All the manufacture claims = about 30hp)

MR_ET; best of 3 Runs
Stock Fit
Regular Oil
(also didn't clean his air filter... tisk tisk)

So anyway, here are the results; will post of a graph via PDF as soon as I get my hands on our scanner at work;

THE RESULTS!

MR_ET Baseline Results
Max HP: 86.7 HP @ 5800 RPM
Max Torque: 83.9 @ 4900 RPM

Sugarphreak Results
Max HP: 88.8 HP @ 5600 RPM
Max Torque: 90.7 @ 4200 RPM

That's right, I gained a whopping 2.1hp & 6.8ft/lbs over a stock fit for the literally thousands I have spent. A far cry from the manufactures claims.

Just Freaking wonderful

basically the graph shows that I give up some power up to about 3000 RPM, then gain over the stock configuration.

I will note that removing the silencer from the exhuast actually lost 1whp of power, that represents 50% of my gains over stock so that is now my best mod.

I have to say this was a very humbling experience. Despite the bitter taste in my mouth at the moment I don't have any regrets. It has been fun putting everything together and I have made a lot of friends along the way. I would have really liked to get some better results, but no point crying over spilled money... I mean milk.

Cheers Guys;

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 09-08-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
I bet its that WR manifold.
Thats pretty bad man. Hate to say it, but its probably the tune.

Did you even get a wideband to check the AFR's?

Old 09-07-2008, 08:08 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
I will note that removing the silencer from the exhuast actually lost 1whp of power, that represents 50% of my gains over stock so that is now my best mod.
Are you running a cat?

Old 09-07-2008, 08:11 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
^^ No, but probably should have thrown a wideband on it. I paid like 200$ for the tune so it shouldn't suck. I trust the guys who did it as well.

I am running a cat still, is the only stock piece of my exhuast left.

I am leaving for about 5 weeks pretty soon, will look at maybe doing something when I get back. I don't want to spend anymore money on it right now.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 09-09-2008 at 01:54 AM.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
The stock cat is killing you I bet. You spent all that money and still have the cat?
Watsahhappen?

A testpipe is the best mod Ive ever done on my Fit. I regret selling it. I bought that stupid RH though.
Im now running my gutted cat. Bought a custom testpipe last night.

$200 on a tune.... Did they actually drive with you and tune it with a wideband?
If they didnt then thats not a tune.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
I doubt the stock Cat will make much more than a few whp difference.

Yeah the Tune was done in Van by AJR. They took it out for maybe over an hour and also made some adjustments to the map to account for the elevation difference.

I just feel shocked right now that not a single product delivered. 10whp claim there, 5whp here... every single one of those products claims more than 2hp. I just have a huge feeling of overwhelming disappointment in the end.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 09-07-2008 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:19 PM
wow.

WOW.

Something is DEFINITELY not right there!

Old 09-07-2008, 08:21 PM
whaat the heeeeck.

that's how i feel about mine, too.

1/4 mile in 17.2 after intake and header back exhaust. what's that all about?

you need to go to the track and y'all two go head to head to see if it's true. that's lame as crap. then maybe bolt your stock exhaust and airbox back on and run against him again.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Yeah I don't know what to make of these results yet; the unfortunate part is more dyno's and tuning means more money.

One of the reasons I was convinced I had gained more power is because I have actually lost a lot of power below about 3000 RPM and then it jumps up pretty high very quickly right after before coming down closer to stock at around 5500 RPM. It gives the feeling the car is suddenly surging forward compared to stock.

Originally Posted by explosivpotato
wow.
WOW.
Something is DEFINITELY not right there!
Yeah I have no answers, every product seems to be working fine.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 09-08-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:27 PM
17.2???

I ran a 16.2 with a CAI and an axle back! Was it really hot that day?

Old 09-07-2008, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
wow that is shocking...sorry to hear the news ;/

Old 09-07-2008, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by explosivpotato
17.2???

I ran a 16.2 with a CAI and an axle back! Was it really hot that day?
no. lol. like 80. my car is just slow. it's so irritating. I even took out the back seat.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by drzenitram
no. lol. like 80. my car is just slow. it's so irritating. I even took out the back seat.
Well, maybe it was driving. I was driving with NO respect for synchros or my clutch.

car: "hold on a sec, I need to match these two cogs..."
me: "F**k it, GO!"

Old 09-07-2008, 08:52 PM
5 Year Member
bwaahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahah

thousands of dollars for 2 horsepower gain? *thud*

Old 09-07-2008, 08:54 PM
Just for comparison my Fit ran 17.62@76 mph at our elevation at the drag strip.

I also have an LX versus a Sport so maybe that made some difference with power because I am running slightly less electrical stuff.

I was also on my 14 inch wheels and tires and Sugarphreak was in some big heavy 17's.

I also think he wrote it wrong in his first post the removal of the silencer gave him about 1whp more I believe.

We should have thrown the wideband in there to see what it did

Sorry the car didn't make more hp man I also was expecting more and also would tend to blame the IM for this.

With that said thanks for coming out and we all had a great time today even if the numbers weren't the best

Old 09-07-2008, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
now, everyone that says they "feel" the power difference between an axleback/intake/blah blah is a fuggin liar

Old 09-07-2008, 09:01 PM
Well, the thing I'm seeing looking over some old dyno threads is that people have made 100 whp+ on several different dynos with MUCH fewer mods than what's on Sugarphreak's car.

I think there's something wrong with the tune. Get a wideband on that bitch ASAP!

Also, apparently I drive like a jackass because I definitely cut a 16.2 @82 or so mph last fall. I wish I still had that timeslip, I was PROUD of that!

Can't wait till my synchros go on strike.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by solbrothers
now, everyone that says they "feel" the power difference between an axleback/intake/blah blah is a fuggin liar
I think something is off with Sugarphreak's setup so I would appreciate if you stopped jumping to conclusions here.

I think perhaps the intake manifold is not working well with the other mods or perhaps the tune is off for our altitude but these parts are all reputable, well engineered and have proven to make power on countless other cars and setups.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:05 PM
I think your fooked up part is the tune... bypass the E-manage and make another run.. I'm sure you'll gin around 8-10Whp...

The biggest limiting factor for n N/A setup with the fit is the tiny ports.. no matter what you bolt on I can't ever really see more than a 10-12Whp gain.

heck addign another half an atmosphere only yields a 30Whp gain. Goes to show hw choked up the L15 is.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mr_ET
I also think he wrote it wrong in his first post the removal of the silencer gave him about 1whp more I believe.

We should have thrown the wideband in there to see what it did
Nope, I lost power when I removed it. The silencer in was better.

Yeah I will look into having somebody look at the tune when I get back. Maybe have them put some time aside in mid-November to check the AF and if something is out of whack and then maybe get it re-tuned.

I can see if running my stock rims with snow tires make a big difference at that time as well.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 09-09-2008 at 01:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Sugarphreak Dyno - Shocking Results!