Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Intake Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 12:10 AM
Intake Question

was wondering if anyone could offer some insight into this.
i don't know all that much about intakes other than their basic functionality, but i was a bit confused when i read the description of the spoon air filter on aj-racing's website.

A&J Racing :: Intake & Exhaust :: Fit/Jazz (GD3/4) :: Spoon Air Cleaner for Fit 2007 & up GD-3

"Spoon recommends that due to the design of the VTEC engine, the stock intake box be retained to maximize throttle response."

Also, Mugen did not make an intake for the Fit as they do for most of the other cars they modify

Now obviously there are not a bunch of fools working over at Spoon/Mugen, but isn't the purpose of an aftermarket intake system to increase throttle response?

If anyone has a report or some kind of other information on why Mugen/Spoon did the things they did to the Fit's engine, share it.

there's probably a simple answer to this i just don't know it lol

Old 09-22-2008, 02:29 PM
the point of an aftermarket air intake system is ot to increase throttle response. it is primarily to decrease intake restriction and improve flow. A secondary effect in the case of a Cold air intke, is to take in air from a cooler part of the engine bay or the fender to gain more power through increased air density.

Most intakes in just about all cars reduce throttle response, but most are worth the trade-off. With how little power the fit makes, any delay in getting that power working has a bigger effect than a slight increase in power.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:03 PM
Fa1
The simple answer is don't buy it. Someone dynoed with the spoon filter and lost top end hp.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by Injundon
the point of an aftermarket air intake system is ot to increase throttle response. it is primarily to decrease intake restriction and improve flow. A secondary effect in the case of a Cold air intke, is to take in air from a cooler part of the engine bay or the fender to gain more power through increased air density.

Most intakes in just about all cars reduce throttle response, but most are worth the trade-off. With how little power the fit makes, any delay in getting that power working has a bigger effect than a slight increase in power.
I see, thanks for the clarification!

Old 09-22-2008, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by Fa1
The simple answer is don't buy it. Someone dynoed with the spoon filter and lost top end hp.
lol no problem i got the mugen one anyways