Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Greddy E-Manage Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 06:39 PM
Unhappy I'm SO FRUSTRATED!!!

Ok, so I finally got my AEM UEGO installed today.

The outside temp is -10 (celsius). I'm running Emanage Ultimate.

At idle my AFR gauge is reading between 10.6-10.8AFR. I tried adjusting the Injector Adjustment Map values and nothing would change... I couldn't move the AFRs at all.. I also opened up the Airflow Adjustment Map to see if anything would work... again, nothing.

The only time I actually got a response from my inputs is when I go to an extreme in the Air Flow Adjustment Map. If I go to a value of 90.0 or -90.0 nothing happens, then if I go to -91.0 or 91.0 the car almost stalls out.

WTF is happening and why can't I adjust my AFR at idle!!?!?! I didn't play with anything else, but I monitored my AFRs while driving...

I'm around 14.7-15.0 AFR while in boost, and when I am just cruising around I am around 12.6-13.0 AFR. It's all backwards!?!?!

I am running explosivepotato's map...

ALSO, I just wanted to note a couple things. All the DIP Switches on my Emanage unit are set to ON. They were set this way from AJ-Racing... not sure if that is normal. And I am getting the P2A00 CEL which is saying that my primary O2 sensor is not functioning properly.

Last edited by YeeFit; 02-13-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:06 PM
5 Year Member
I run very rich at idle. Could not change the idle. I went to a couple of people to try and fix it, but the ultimate just wouldn't let me. And yes I did the extremes of -90 myself. It just can't be adjusted from what I know. I'm on the AF map still.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:45 PM
YeeFit --

are you sure you're updating the changes you make? Sometimes mine doesn't want to update real-time, so I have to click the "download to main unit" button to load the map manually.

I was running at that AFR at idle when I was using the canned T1R tune. When using the AF adjustment, you cannot lean out the idle at all.

I did notice that at idle I have to make larger adjustments to get the desired change in AFR compared to the higher revs/manifold pressures. Mine started running rich in the warmer temps lateley, so my idle is set to -25%.

Try adjusting the Injector flow values before/after.

If you're interested I'll make you up a new map to see if I can work out what to do for you. Let me know, I'll try playing around with some settings to get you something workable. Sorry you're having these problems! Good thing for Widebands huh? Otherwise you'd never know!!

Old 02-13-2009, 09:50 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
so what a/f are you running at idle explosivpotato?

what is the highest safe a/f for the fit when in boost?

Old 02-13-2009, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
If it won't let you adjust, there must be a reasoning behind it. If it's not a software bug, then it's the mechanical side of things. Don't stress it. Play around with it. That's the part I love Emanage Ultimate, the open source end user friendliness.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by kylerwho
so what a/f are you running at idle explosivpotato?

what is the highest safe a/f for the fit when in boost?
When driving hard and coming to a stop, my idle hits 14.0 for about 5 seconds, then the ECU brings it up to 15.0.

When in boost, I shoot for between 12.0 and 12.5. I would be uncomfortable with anything leaner than 12.7. Touching 13:1 is too lean for my tastes.

YeeFit - I sent you a new map. Try it and let me know how it goes!!

Old 02-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by 1WayFit
If it won't let you adjust, there must be a reasoning behind it. If it's not a software bug, then it's the mechanical side of things. Don't stress it. Play around with it. That's the part I love Emanage Ultimate, the open source end user friendliness.
There is - the emanage acts exactly the same regardless of open or closed loop. The EMU has no idea what the loop status is. It simply adds or pulls fuel by a percentage pulled from its internal map. It's the stock ECU that's being a PITA.

In closed loop, the ECU is going to pull fuel or add fuel to hit what it thinks is the "proper" AFR. This "proper" afr may not be so proper when in boost.

So it's not a software bug or mechanical issue, its the nature of the beast. Hopefully I'll be able to come up with something.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:21 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
so what is the answer to help the stock ecu know what is the proper a/f to have when in boost?

reflash?

Old 02-13-2009, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
Curious what the JDM tuners have come up with regarding this issue...

Old 02-13-2009, 10:33 PM
A reflash would be the ultimate solution, but Hondata has made it abundantly clear they don't feel like doing this. Maybe if just to change the target AFR values, we might be able to come up with something. I'll look into it.

As for the mean time, here's what I'm thinking:

The stock ECU is shooting for an AFR that is richer than stoich when we're in boost. I have confirmed this using some professional scantool software at my school that shows the 'commanded equivalence value' (or requested AFR) coming from the computer dropping when I get on it (Still in closed loop). I'm thinking (after doing a bunch of datalogs) that what's really happening is that the stock computer is just overcorrecting when it hits boost, which causes it to over-RE-correct, making the AFR spike lean. I'm going to try to smooth the transition into boost in my EMU map to see if I can keep the stock ECU happier to smooth out the AFR.

If none of this works, I'll probably just get an F-manage, which is greddy's end-all-beat-all solution. It allows direct manipulation of values into the computer to make the ECU shoot for whatever value you want it to. This would be the ideal solution for boosting closer to 10lbs. I'm not sure I'd bother with it at 6 or even 8 pounds. Too bad it's 500$. Guess you got to pay to play, but dayum.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
so is the Fcon better than the E ultimate?

Old 03-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Pros and Cons to both.

GReddy is easily tuned and HKS has to be unlocked and tuned by an authorized HKS dealer. Both will do similar jobs.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member
I thought the F CON is a standalone? and the E-Ultimate was a piggy back pretty much.
There are a few HKS shops around my area so im just trying to figure out which one of these is better

Old 03-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Standalone EMS (Engine Management Systems) are around $3000+ without tuning.

The HKS F-Con IS is a piggyback just like the E-manage Ultimate.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by YeeFit
Standalone EMS (Engine Management Systems) are around $3000+ without tuning.

The HKS F-Con IS is a piggyback just like the E-manage Ultimate.
ah ok cool.

any other cons to the F-CON? haha

Last edited by redrumm; 03-02-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:12 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
that is a good question cause it seems like everyone having turbo tuning problems has the greddy piggyback.

anyone have any problems with the f-con?

Old 03-02-2009, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kylerwho
that is a good question cause it seems like everyone having turbo tuning problems has the greddy piggyback.

anyone have any problems with the f-con?
The HKS F-Con iS is the latest evolution of HKS' piggy-back engine management systems. The iS features the same proven fuel and timing control as the SZ and S, but also incorporates data correction for close-loop A/F feedback from the factory Oxygen Sensor. Also CPU performance has been improved by 25%.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
does anyone know what the rotary switch settings on the emanage blue shoudl be set to for the fit?

i currently have only the emanage installed with all the maps zeroed out just to make sure its installed correctly before i go on and install everytign else...but i am experiencing alot of detonation and i have narrowed it down to the 3 rotary switches that are on the side of the emanage.

if some one can look at theres (if still running EMB) or if you remember what it should be set at, it would be VERY helpful.

thanks in advance.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NIGHTHAWKSI
does anyone know what the rotary switch settings on the emanage blue shoudl be set to for the fit?

i currently have only the emanage installed with all the maps zeroed out just to make sure its installed correctly before i go on and install everytign else...but i am experiencing alot of detonation and i have narrowed it down to the 3 rotary switches that are on the side of the emanage.

if some one can look at theres (if still running EMB) or if you remember what it should be set at, it would be VERY helpful.

thanks in advance.
bump since i dont really liek the sound of detonation

Old 03-06-2009, 10:45 AM
5 Year Member
could you please go into your parameter settings and tell me what "airflow meter type and spec you are using? i want to make sure i have the correct settings.

airflow type i think is hotwire and spec should look looks somthing like "HN_PR-1"

Last edited by NIGHTHAWKSI; 03-06-2009 at 10:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Greddy E-Manage Tuning