Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

The things that over revving may do to your engine (possible minor NA build??)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 08:28 PM
If you mis-shifted, and HEARD the rev-limiter, you didn't over-rev.

If you truly had an over-rev, all you would hear is the sickening swirl of your motor spinning faster, and faster, and faster, and faster.

if you heard that 'wap wap wap wap' of the limiter you weren't overreving. Sounds like your valves are in need of adjustment at the worst.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:09 PM
related to your update... you can't tell by looking at a throw out bearing if its been abused or not.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by explosivpotato

If you truly had an over-rev, all you would hear is the sickening swirl of your motor spinning faster, and faster, and faster, and faster.

if you heard that 'wap wap wap wap' of the limiter you weren't overreving. Sounds like your valves are in need of adjustment at the worst.
Yeah I'm pretty sure the valves can use adjusting. Does anyone know if there is a TSB out for it?

Old 04-18-2009, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Darkstars
related to your update... you can't tell by looking at a throw out bearing if its been abused or not.
Not by the throwout bearing but the clutch plate...

and just another side note, when they took out my oem clutch apparently the stock throwout bearing just fell apart in 2. I dont know what that's supposed to mean....

Old 04-18-2009, 02:57 AM
5 Year Member
I am glad that your engine is still alive and well. ... My valve train's getting loud and I am going to have to adjust mine.... I went from 4TH to 3Rd and was wound out just shy of the red line in 4TH when I did it and I can guarantee you that my rev limiter was going crazy. My BMW. GS 1100 and 1800 Gold Wing shuts down when over revved and the Fit keeps cycling on and off regardless of how high it is revving.... It is a terrible embarrassment to me that that I know this.

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 04-18-2009 at 02:59 AM.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by explosivpotato

Not exactly true. . . .missing a downshift will cause a mechanical over rev that NO electronic (fuel or ignition) rev limiter can stop yet you will still hear the limiter becasue its still doing its job, cuting spark and fuel. Just wanted to clear that up so nobody gets misleading info.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:20 PM
Actually if you rev PAST the stock limiter, you won't hear the limiter.

The limiter sounds like it does because once the RPM passes a certain point, it cuts fuel. When you fall below another preset point fuel cuts BACK IN. That's the pulsing sound of the rev limiter. When you mechanically over-rev your motor beyond this point, the fuel will be cut out, and stay that way. Fuel won't be cut back in until the RPM drop back below the limiter's lower point. All you'll hear is the mechanical parts of your engine spinning very angrily. No pulsing wap-wap-wap noise.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:22 AM
FDH
i overrevved my car a couple of times but ive driven 18,000 miles since i last had it happen..this includes long distance trips to syracuse, buffalo, montreal. i hear something that sounds like water with bolts in it shaking when i first start the car but it runs perfectly fine.

is my fit ok?!

first post!!

Old 02-04-2010, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sam21

I also went to the dealer and they said it SHOULD be covered under warrantee but if they take apart my tranny and find any signs of abuse, that I'll have to pay them for them to put my car back together. Kinda risky....considering the amount they would charge is probably gonna be more than what i cost for me to get a stage 1 clutch AND labor.
This situation you're in is the exact situation I'm facing right now. Just got my car back from the dealer today because I took it in for a grinding noise coming from the tranny. I hoped to get it fixed under warranty because I managed to get it in before 60k (59,920) and I get a call back the next day saying they hear the noise and its the throw out bearing. They said Honda will replace it only if it's a manufacturer defect but if they find abuse I will have to pay for the replacement. They quoted me.... wait for it..... $1,132.18 to replace a throw out bearing. WTF! Did a quick search online today and found the bearing for around $50-$100. $1000 for labor So I think I'm going to save up for a clutch since they're going to have to take apart the tranny just for the throw out bearing. P.S. This is the last Honda I will ever buy. I've had nothing but issues with this car since I've bought it.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:38 AM
i just had a clutchmasters stage 3 put in hee in so cal. kit was $825 and the labor was $400. seemed fair to me.$1000 for labor, theyre out of their minds!