Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Replacing resonator

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by accordguyintake
i have a Megan racing one. mm i cant really record a video since i use my phone and there isnt a stand for it. come by our meets if you live in so-cal, you're more than welcome to hear it there, if not, i'll try to make one if i can get someone to record 4 me
ok cool, ill have to ask for one around xmas time, im trying to save money for a house right now and i think xmas is the only time i get car stuff unless its not too expensive, also i ended up raising my hfp muffler up just by using the stock rubber hangers, all i did is instead of using the holes where the hanger goes in i used the the slots in the middle, it brought the muffler close to bumper and made that thing look even more agressive, im sticking with the hfp muffler forsure now but i wish i could get the b pipe for cheap. anyways heres a pick of it.

before
Name:  IMG_0292.jpg
Views: 1468
Size:  65.1 KB

after
Name:  IMG_0302.jpg
Views: 1542
Size:  48.0 KB

see much better, also i didnt have to spend a dime for it!

i also just posted up a video of what mine sounds like on here with an intake, it sounds nice but im never outside of the car to hear it

Old 04-10-2009, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
i got a megan mid-pipe that may be for sell soon at a good price if your interested, taking it off next week. wanna see how my stromung exhaust sound with the oem pipe first...

Old 04-10-2009, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Red Ant
i got a megan mid-pipe that may be for sell soon at a good price if your interested, taking it off next week. wanna see how my stromung exhaust sound with the oem pipe first...
sounds good to me just let me know, what area you in?

Old 04-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
T1R B-Pipe is good too, I would recommend it for sound.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
I'm in the market for a bpipe! PM me prices!

Old 04-11-2009, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
yeaa i should've tried that! i was thinking of it but i was afraid it'd be moving around too much

Old 04-11-2009, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by accordguyintake
yeaa i should've tried that! i was thinking of it but i was afraid it'd be moving around too much
Nope it acctually makes it move around less. Just mess around with that bec it makes it look 100 percent better. Abd u dont have to spend a dime

Old 04-12-2009, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
well that pic of the Fit with the modded HFP muffler was mine

Old 04-12-2009, 09:34 PM
i just did my exhaust. switched out all the stock piping for 2 1/4 inch piping a better resinator and a borla exhaust. sounds amazing. a nice deep tone.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member
must do a vid! i did the no-muffler thing with Note (ghettoboy247)'s GE and it wasnt very impressive at all compared to his Tanabe muffler... i was expecting much louder!

Old 04-12-2009, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by deranged
i just did my exhaust. switched out all the stock piping for 2 1/4 inch piping a better resinator and a borla exhaust. sounds amazing. a nice deep tone.
yep post a sound clip if you can please!

Old 10-02-2014, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member
**Back From Dead**

Those of you that have replaced your resonator, I have a question. Does the piping inside of the resonator go straight through or not? Does the inside of the resonator have pieces of metal protruding into the exhaust gas stream or not? It's very important to me that the exhaust gas goes in and come back out as quickly as possible, in the shortest path possible (straight through) with no interruption to the flow.

Thanks for any clarification around this.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 10-02-2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
**Back From Dead**

Those of you that have replaced your resonator, I have a question. Does the piping inside of the resonator go straight through or not? Does the inside of the resonator have pieces of metal protruding into the exhaust gas stream or not? It's very important to me that the exhaust gas goes in and come back out as quickly as possible, in the shortest path possible (straight through) with no interruption to the flow.

Thanks for any clarification around this.
There would be no purpose of the resonator to be there if the exhaust gas would go straight though. If you are looking for the straightest pipe you would have to go custom as you plan too (you mentioned in another thread). Warning though with no resonator and a straight though exhaust what are your plans? Cat no cat? This exhaust is going to be loud and you're gonna lose power if you are no properly tuned. Be careful on what you are trying to accomplish.

Old 10-03-2014, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rollerboots666
There would be no purpose of the resonator to be there if the exhaust gas would go straight though. If you are looking for the straightest pipe you would have to go custom as you plan too (you mentioned in another thread). Warning though with no resonator and a straight though exhaust what are your plans? Cat no cat? This exhaust is going to be loud and you're gonna lose power if you are no properly tuned. Be careful on what you are trying to accomplish.

I plan on using the biggest, longest resonator I can find. Take a look here --> Verocious Motorsports Look at the bottom left column under 'Resonators'. I'll probably get a 2.25" Vibrant Performance Ultra Quiet Resonator, 14" OAL. I don't want noise, only performance. Look at the picture of this resonator as they show you how the piping looks going through it. THAT is what I'm looking for.

What I'm trying to confirm is how does a Fit's resonator look inside. I don't want to assume but I'm taking it that the stock Fit is NOT straight through from your post. If it is not straight through, how does the inside piping flow look like? How does it flow? Look at my corny drawing of what I could see the inside of a stock 2015 Honda Fit muffler looks like --->

That is what I'm trying to get a visual picture of. Are Fit resonators built like that or something similar or are they straight through? And if they are straight through, do they have small metal pieces protruding into the gas flow stream?

My ultimate plan is to run 2.25" piping from the cat back (for now) and into the 2" muffler I have provided. I have a personal belief that tapering downward in inches will help promote exhaust gas velocity without hindering the flow (If the piping is straight through), since gases slow down as it cools off. It's my own take on it. We have two 90 degree bends that will slow down the velocity some anyways so by the point it gets to your muffler, it has already slowed some. Maybe if it was straight back I'd keep the same piping diameter. Either way...just my own take on it. I will get this done either next Thursday or Friday so I can test it out.

It only makes sense to me to have a straight 2.25" (or 2.5" if that's what some prefer) all the way through if you have forced induction.

So...do you know what the inside of the resonator piping looks like? Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 10-03-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:43 PM
Resonators are generally straight through. Their purpose is to cancel out unpleasant sounds. This is done with pipe length and perforations in the tubing, similar to a straight through muffler (aka fart cannon, viking battle horn, canister, et al)... the mufflers also incorporate fiber packing to deaden sound, but this isn't true of resonators.

Reasons to remove:

1) lower cost
2) reduce weight

Resonators can also be used to tune powerband, but that's another story altogether and I don't want to get into that.

TLDR; No reason to replace unless you are increasing pipe size or want to change the exhaust tone, especially on an L series.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Resonators are generally straight through. Their purpose is to cancel out unpleasant sounds. This is done with pipe length and perforations in the tubing, similar to a straight through muffler (aka fart cannon, viking battle horn, canister, et al)... the mufflers also incorporate fiber packing to deaden sound, but this isn't true of resonators.

Reasons to remove:

1) lower cost
2) reduce weight

Resonators can also be used to tune powerband, but that's another story altogether and I don't want to get into that.

TLDR; No reason to replace unless you are increasing pipe size or want to change the exhaust tone, especially on an L series.
Big thanks! Yes, I'm interested in increasing the pipe size but was trying understand if a resonator could possibly be a restriction, outside of just pipe size (Ex: Weird piping angles/paths, things getting in way of exhaust flow). I won't expect much in opening this up some then.

I will be using that resonator (Part#VIBRESUQ-225) in a 2.25" exhaust though. Not comfortable replacing the cat sections until I learn more. Seems like some Fit owners had some problems with codes in the past around this. Going to read some more!

I'll have the 'B' pipe replaced before Friday night next week I hope.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
So you have a 2015 Fit correct? I'm sure a few companies will have a cat-back exhaust available very soon. Wouldn't it be more cost efficient to just go that route?

Old 10-04-2014, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rollerboots666
So you have a 2015 Fit correct? I'm sure a few companies will have a cat-back exhaust available very soon. Wouldn't it be more cost efficient to just go that route?
I doubt it! These exhausts seem like they could be fairly expensive. It's all just pipes to me and mainly getting the right size. Muffler and Resonators are getting the biggest ones possible to keep the noise quiet but small enough to keep exhaust velocity from slowing down. That's it! That's all I've ever done. Never was one for name brand, specially tuned, reversion, scavenging flow re-enforced, sonic-wave exhaust stroke pulling (You get the idea ) exhausts. I'm a simple dude! That stuff starts to get complicated and that's no fun.

The cat sections are special though so I need to pay attention there so I won't throw any codes. Don't want to have to deal with a CEL eliminator that I've read some older Fits had to deal with.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
I doubt it! These exhausts seem like they could be fairly expensive. It's all just pipes to me and mainly getting the right size. Muffler and Resonators are getting the biggest ones possible to keep the noise quiet but small enough to keep exhaust velocity from slowing down. That's it! That's all I've ever done. Never was one for name brand, specially tuned, reversion, scavenging flow re-enforced, sonic-wave exhaust stroke pulling (You get the idea ) exhausts. I'm a simple dude! That stuff starts to get complicated and that's no fun.

The cat sections are special though so I need to pay attention there so I won't throw any codes. Don't want to have to deal with a CEL eliminator that I've read some older Fits had to deal with.
Making your own exhaust can get costly too. Piping adds up. Plus the resonator, Flanges, hangers, and the labor. Thats gonna run you a few hundred dollars. Thats what it will run you for a company made cat-back. Plus its been tested and tuned which is a bonus. Making your own exhaust can lend to making less power as well.