Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

The Official Normally-Aspirated Thread....(techniques/parts/troubleshooting etc.)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 10:19 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by grtpumpkin
Well, I have been looking for any source of more info on SHGMikes surgically altered stock intake manifold surge tank and found little to no info.
Check out this thread, pretty good pics in it:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...k-intakes.html

I bought one from someone else so I cheated and can't provide you with any personal experience regarding the build. Definitely notice better throttle response though. I strongly suggest adding a higher flow air filter at the same time; K&N, Mugen, aFE or similar.

Last edited by wdb; 07-25-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:49 AM
Yeah I knew about that one, thanks. That is detailing the modding of the AIR BOX, SHGMike actually took apart and modified the the INTAKE MANIFOLD. Thats the thread I'm looking for. It doesn't really matter I'm gonna do it anyway, just looking for some pre-finished research is all... I have an A-spec CAI so it willl be breathing deeply, may add a Blitz TC to get the most out of it.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:59 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
good luck using that custom intake manifold..... spokanejdmgd3 had it and we talked about it and compared it to my weapon r manifold..... the weapon r is alot smoother in power transfer.

now this is top secret but i have been in contact with someone to get me a custom set of ITBs made up for my fit. i know its not that practical but i love the sound they make and wanna see if it is even possible to get 120whp like the spoon NA enduro fit.

if you lean out your fuel map you will make a crazy amount of power but your motor will also run really hot so you will have to figure out a way to slow down the heat.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:27 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by grtpumpkin
INTAKE MANIFOLD.
Doh, reading comprehension FTL.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:29 PM
Thanks Kyler! I'm not really trying to get crazy power or compete with the aftermarket intake manis. I just want to experiment and see what happens, the upper manifold is so damned cheap that I can't lose by trying it out. I figure if I go too far and the ECU freaks out I'll just pull it off and chuck it in the trash. In the meantime there will be a DIY for anyone else who cares to try as well. WDB no worries I knew what you meant... Kyler if you can get your hands on four season streetable ITBs for less than a million dollars I'll be your biggest fan! I have wondered for years why the only cars i ever read about having ITBs are in CA. I have always assumed it was because they don't/won't run worth shit in winter.

Last edited by grtpumpkin; 07-26-2009 at 07:33 PM. Reason: more deep thoughts
Old 07-27-2009, 01:30 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
i have known guys up here in the cold and rain running ITBs and they do just fine but you gotta keep them out of the rain or else really bad things happen fast.

im not sure how these will work with the dbw but i think we can figure out how to adapt the kawi zx-14 motorcycle ITBs since they use a DBW system now too.

all im doing now is research to see what is possible.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:47 AM
5 Year Member
the best naturally aspirated mod for the L15 is to leave it as is
wrong engine for modding

Old 07-27-2009, 05:00 PM
^^But where is the fun in that? There are those who would say that the Fit is the wrong car for modding but they would be wrong also. Kyler, why not just convert it to a cable throttle? Or does that monkey with the ECU?

Old 07-28-2009, 12:43 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
cable throttle is old technology. im trying to embrace the new and be the first with the dbw ITBs.

i dont really follow to well.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:15 AM
Originally Posted by kylerwho
cable throttle is old technology. im trying to embrace the new and be the first with the dbw ITBs.

i dont really follow to well.
Conformism is *** anyway...

Marko!!

Old 07-28-2009, 07:06 PM
Sounds like a daunting challenge you face my son. I would have been happy to be the first guy with a USDM with ITBs but you had to go and get all " next level " and stuff.....JFWY, I wish you luck!

Old 07-28-2009, 10:31 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
its difficult to figure this out cause i need to find a way to use the kawi ecu and piggy back it onto our ecu....

and then there is the issue of both ecus running firewalls......

i have a beer and now need an asprin.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:41 PM
You will probably have to go to a stand alone ECU and program it to run your set-up from zero man. The bike ECU ain't gonna play well with the new set-up. If for no other reason than that bikes don't have to meet emissions regs as far as i know. Look on the bright side though, you can run a cable throttle until the genius' at MIT get done programming your new ECU! LOL

Old 07-31-2009, 01:40 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
its not freaking rocket science to program an ecu. i will just contact my good buddies at type one to get me a reflashed jdm ecu and then i will be in some serious business.

im only expecting to lay down 120hp on the ground. more will be nice but judging by the air flow charts i have my doubts

Old 08-01-2009, 01:13 AM
5 Year Member
So i bought the J's air duct last month.

I decided to make a custom CAI to actually make it work.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:40 AM
Originally Posted by Jazz it up!
So i bought the J's air duct last month.

I decided to make a custom CAI to actually make it work.

That is really cool!

Old 08-03-2009, 06:44 PM
looking to hit 110hp

tring to find a good place to dyno my fit where i live........looking for a good intake manifold and was looking at Weapon-R but didnt kno how good it was and if there was anything else out there.....

Motor
--T1R B-Max Carbon Intake
--Weapon R Engine Damper
--ASPEC Axle-Back Exhaust

Suspension
--Progress Springs
--Tokico HP Blue Shocks
--C-Pillar Strut Bar
--OBX Front Camber Kit

Last edited by jdmfit88; 08-03-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
110hp?? my car has a HPS CAI, megan mid-pipe, and an HFP muffler and it only made 96hp and i think 98lbs.ft of torque. then again someone had only an H-Fit super sucka and a aspec muffler and made 99hp! This was at the Skunk2 facility meet where dyno's were free.

lol they threw spark plugs on that 99hp and it boosted to like 102+hp!

Old 08-03-2009, 08:34 PM
what r a good set of spark plugs??????
later in winter i will be geting the ASPEC header and b-pipe....

Old 08-03-2009, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
i'm starting to really like this thread. as of now, i have:
T1R intake, T1R headers, T1r B-pipe, and Apexi WS2 axleback (I liked the way it looks). i've never been to a dyno but i want at least 100hp. i don't have anymore plans for my fit anymore, i think this is all i'd like to do. i've toyed with the idea of boost but decided that it's not worth it, i don't race my fit at all, and there's too much traffic where i'm living right now.

Quick Reply: The Official Normally-Aspirated Thread....(techniques/parts/troubleshooting etc.)