Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

The great debate - axle back vs cat back

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
Can you guys recommend suppliers for the above mentioned systems. I know where to get the HFP. I could not find the T1R 50 S VER 2 OR THE FGK Wagolis. i did come across the more mainstream systems- Tanabe Medallion tour, Greddy spectrum elite-se
Apexi ws2 sport and the megan systems. Any recomendations on thoes would also be appreciated
Thanks SS Rich

Old 09-27-2009, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member
I have only heard good things about the Tanabe Medalion Touring Edition: good sound, quiet. I don't think it even needs a silencer. I would have bought it if it were cheaper.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SS RICH
spooneK4. Thank you so much for the education. I appreciate all the time you put into your post. (You are a fit freak) I definitely will look at the sport style exhaust instead of the n1 stuff. I loved all your vids especially the road coarse vid.
I hope to try some of that stuff some day.
If money were not an option( it is but) which would you get for quality and performance?
Oh u're welcome. Thanks to some of the local fitfreak members I get to try a few different exhaust setup without actually need to buy them. So I make use of the camera mount & made those in car footage. Always easier to describe how it sounds with some videos.

I'm using that spoon sports type oval muffler in the picture about(that's my car actually) and that's one of my favorite Honda muffler at all time. Other than that I would pick the Mugen oval(which I can't find a pic), the FGK wagolis or T1R 50s ver2.

U can find the spoon, T1R products from A&J Racing:
A&J Racing :: Exhaust :: Exhaust Systems

and FGK products from Boom Plus Toys(they haven't update their site for ages):
Boom Plus Toys > FUJITSUBO

Old 09-28-2009, 10:47 AM
5 Year Member
Ok now to compare technology / price. I understand the concept of you get what you pay for but!
The Tanabe medallion tour is 399$ approx appears to heave good technology with the advantix packing.

spoon t1r approx 399$ made for Honda

The apexi w2 324$ no specific technoloy listed

Greddy spectrum elite 389$ aprox no specific technology

Megan racing dual tip 195$ no specific technology.

I like the medallion because you at least feel as if you are getting something for the cost.

Spoon made for honda so to speak.

How would the megan stand against these systems? crap sound and quality?

I will listen to the clips again
Thanks

Old 09-28-2009, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member
The megan seems to sounds as good as the higher priced systems and since their is no real performance gain it may be hard to justify the extra expense. any thoughts?

Old 09-28-2009, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
i had both the megan and apexi WS2 axlebacks and you definitely get what you pay for.

i agree with kenchan regarding the megan axleback's generic sound - IMO, it doesn't sound much different from a corner shop "mooflair especial."

the apexi WS2 is a chambered muffler and the sound output is much more distinct than any of the other Fit exhausts i've heard in person - sounds, european . throaty, grumbly, and subtle.. three words i would use to describe its sound.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member
I finally decided on purchasing the GReddy Racing Ti-c. I know it is a N1 style system but I like that it comes with a silencer for two sound options. I also got it for an awesome price from assaultech.com $278.00 with free shipping ( enter promo code)
This is not far off from low price of the megan system . So I went for it.
I want to say thanks to everyone who helped by posting there experiences/recommendations.
will keep you all posted

SS Rich

Old 10-06-2009, 07:48 AM
so... how's the out come ? satisfy with it ?

Old 10-06-2009, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
They did not have it in stock. They are getting it tomorrow and hopefully to me by this Friday. will keep you posted

Old 10-11-2009, 12:34 AM
i just put my silencer in my 50mm skunk2, and the interior drone is far more tolerable. why dont ya try and ride around without any axleback at all? takes only a few minutes, isnt as loud as you think, and the backfires are FUN. exhaust gas never left any damage or grime under my car after a few thousand miles. i used to just bolt and unbolt mine depending on my mood.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spoonek4
I'm using that spoon sports type oval muffler in the picture about(that's my car actually) and that's one of my favorite Honda muffler at all time. Other than that I would pick the Mugen oval(which I can't find a pic), the FGK wagolis or T1R 50s ver2.
how much did that spoon sports muffler run you?

Old 10-18-2009, 09:25 AM
5 Year Member
Greddy Ti c axle back

Well I finally received my exhaust system, much later than expected.
I put it on Thursday night. I must say I love It.
It has a nice deep tone at idle and through the entire rev range. Sort of makes the car sound like much more than it is
The pluses are definitely the sound.
As far as drone, I have no idea why I was so worried. IT is not an issue what so ever. There is such a huge difference between the drone of BIG cubic inch American muscle vs what could ever be possible with engines 2.0 L OR below.

As far as noticing horse power gains my perception of this particular system would be as follows.
There may be a slight decrease in power off the line and when I say slight,
I am leaning towards imperceptible.
I was going to install and aftermarket intake system but I now think the stock system is more than adequate where an aftermarket would possibly eliminate the bottom end.

I do notice a significant improvement in the 4,000 to red line range. The engine seems to pull a harder through this range and now it does not fall flat at 5,800 rpm..

The only negative I would have to report has nothing to do with the exhaust system.
IT is the fact that my car is an automatic. when you are in traffic doing around 40 mph and you can not cruise at a constant speed, as the car fluctuates in speed due slight acceleration and deceleration you do notice the car shifting A LOT between the lock up converter and 5 th gear.IF there was a way to keep the car from going into lock up converter at such low speeds this would not be an issue at all
That is it. On the highway it is totaly AWSOME.

Instalation was a breeze if it took me 30 minutes that was a lot.

Anyone doing research for a Axle back system should look no further than the GReddy Ti c. The craftsmanship of the system was excellent
It also comes with a removable silencer for thoes who would like to have 2 sound options or for thoes who get hasseled by the COPS alot.

Another very small issue is that if you do not use the silencer you will need to find very small bolts because the big cannon sleeve ( the tip ) is held on by the silencer bolts. Without the silencer in there is no provission for attaching the tip. It definitly would fall off if not held on with bolts.

I did take pic's but am not the best with computers. If I figure out how to up-load I will post the pics.
Thanks to all who helped me with my research.
For thoes who are having trouble deciding between an N1 Style system and a Touring style due to noise so to speak I myself do not feel the N1 style is loud enough to be anoying at all so I would definatly look at the
GReddy Ti c, BECAUSE if you feel its to loud you can always reinstall the silencer and it is much cheaper than the touring systems.
Hope my post was helpful
IF any questions LET ER RIP.
SS RICH

Old 10-18-2009, 09:58 AM
any sounds clip ?

Old 10-18-2009, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
My friend has it on his I phone I will try to get it on here

Old 10-18-2009, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
Would you recommend getting an aftermarket b-pipe or stay stock? I agree that adding an aftermarket intake system will result in a loss of hp/tq in the lower rpm range. Someone on here dynoed his gd3 with aftermarket bolt-ons and got poor results. He had i/h/e and only got minimal gains.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:14 AM
5 Year Member
Glad to hear of your results!

The only negative I would have to report has nothing to do with the exhaust system.
IT is the fact that my car is an automatic. when you are in traffic doing around 40 mph and you can not cruise at a constant speed, as the car fluctuates in speed due slight acceleration and deceleration you do notice the car shifting A LOT between the lock up converter and 5 th gear.IF there was a way to keep the car from going into lock up converter at such low speeds this would not be an issue at all
That is it. On the highway it is totaly AWSOME.
That one thing has bugged me for the past year. I've finally decided to look for a manual transmission Fit because of that.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
I would keep the stock intake and just do axle back.
PS:Just had some fun on the way home from work tonight with a newer corvette in the twisties which then open up on to a straight road. was able to deal with the vette in the twisties on the striaght a way was another story but i did notice my rev limiter is now kicking in sooner than the red line. it was windy out though and may have been the cars lack of power and its abilty to cut through the wind at over 100 mph

Old 10-19-2009, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
I would keep the stock intake and just do axle back.
PS:Just had some fun on the way home from work tonight with a newer corvette in the twisties which then open up on to a straight road. was able to deal with the vette in the twisties on the striaght a way was another story but i did notice my rev limiter is now kicking in sooner than the red line. it was windy out though and may have been the cars lack of power and its abilty to cut through the wind at over 100 mph
Yeah? What road was this?

Old 10-20-2009, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
aprox 1 week post instal update

1 WEEK POST UPDATE
Quality of the exhaust is top notch. Noise level is not bad but I now feel that it may be a little loud for an automatic.

It Is / has become annoying when in traffic at low speeds listening to the car constantly shift between the lock up converter and 5th gear and if accelerating also picking up 4th.

I do now also feel that there was a loss in bottom end power with a slight benefit to some mid range pull, but the car does still sort of fall flat in the high rev range 5,000 +

Tonight I installed the silencer which was not in during my first week of driving. It has definitely solved the audible problem of hearing the car search for gears as noted above.

I also have come to realize that there is nothing anyone can do to make this car perform better outside of FI, or nitrous, or pulling the motor completely apart boring the cylinders to get increased inches OPS I mean liters, ported head, cam etc...

Also keep in mind I did not expect much, I am not delusional but I was hoping for some gains. Small ones throughout the power range.

I just seams there will always have to be some sort of compromise. Lose of bottom for mid or good bottom with no top.

I tend to feel at this time that the stock exhaust is best for this car with regard to the power band, at least as far as automatic transmission Fits are concerned.
Manual trans fits can be kept in the meat of the power range easier.
So in conclusion for those out there looking to dress up there Fit, that is fine but dont expect much for your hard earned dollars.

Dont get me wrong I still love the car and do not regret the exhaust. I have had fun and enjoy figuring out how the car would / will have responded to it.
I will now give it some time with the silencer in.

My impressions so far are that it has some increase in sound when compared to stock and I now get my feedback from how the car is shifting through the gas pedal and steering wheel not audibly.
I was not sure yet if I got some of the bottom end back but stay tuned for another up date
I may end up with the stock unit back on with just a fancy exhaust tip.
SS Rich

Old 10-20-2009, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
Nice update. I think I'm going to go with a chambered exhaust.

Quick Reply: The great debate - axle back vs cat back