Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

The great debate - axle back vs cat back

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
The great debate - axle back vs cat back

I want to start this thread by stating I LOVE this website and Honda Fits.
I see that everyone genuinely wants to help / educate each other.

I find most of the posts are based on either trial and error from past experience, or they are very well researched answers.
The one area were it seems to be more trail and error is with exhaust.
I am not trying To insult anyone, maybe I have not been deep enough into these web pages to find old posts.

The main concern seems to be if the system sounds like A FART CAN , a RICER or if it has a nice deep tone.
I think I could safely say most of us want the nice deep tone.(LIKE THE MUGEN SYSTEM) To much$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

A question I do have would be what is it in the design of an exhaust system that makes one sound RICEY or FARTY?
Could it be that most or all of the systems are glass packs?

I am from old school American muscle back ground.
We Used Flow masters back in those days. If you used Cherry bombs it did not sound as good.

MY next question is I am looking to slowly modify my 07 FIT. I think I can safely say my motor will remain stock for now.
If the stock exhaust pipe diameter is 48 mm will there be a benefit to a cat back system with 50 mm pipe?
When compared to an axle back system, I am not sure you will get your bang for the buck out of a CAT back system.

There are 60 mm cat back systems out there but from my research on this site they cause to much of a decrease in back pressure there for affecting the power curve.

I wish more exhaust company's had dyno specs for there systems
Like a-spec. I am leaning towards there axle back system which shows good increase in HP throughout the power curve for only 200$
If I were to go cat back it may be the Injen ses performance exhaust.
But I don not feel it will give me much more HP over the a-spec axle back system. I could use the extra 300$$ elsewere.

I look forward to your responces
Thanks in advance

SS RICH

Old 09-26-2009, 06:56 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
you're not going to get much out of the car unless you go forced induction...so unless you're going to go FI in the long run, just stick with the axleback for the sound and looks.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
Will I get drone inside the car at certain rpm's with and axle back system? The fits are not well insulated from road noise. I do go on long trips a lot with this car and may be better off spending my money on very light wheels?
Thanks

Old 09-26-2009, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
Does anyone have experience with the H-fit type m axle back exhaust. I like that the worked with Borla. no dyno results though

Old 09-26-2009, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
i run the megan axleback and there's a note but it's not a drone or anything annoying on the hwy.

ive had drone on one of my previous modded cars and so i know wat drone is.... ANNOYING AS HELL! nothing like that.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
a poster on this site is comparing the sound of the H- fit axle back to the megan system as far as sound goes

Old 09-26-2009, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member
Are u happy with the megan system? The dual tips dolook better than single.
Do they have dyno results?

Old 09-26-2009, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
im happy for wat it is. i wanted the dual outlet for appearance but could go without the noise.
the muffler sounds like a univeral muffler so not my thing, but for the price i paid im not complaining.
at least it looks good.

dyno? you're kidding right? even if there was a 8-10whp improvement the
car is still slow compared to other cars out there. these axle-backs are for dressup.
i doubt there's any improvement vs stock. but it makes my FitS look nice so
i likes.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
I just figured if you are to spend money you would want some type of hp gain not a loss.
I think 8 hp for 200$$ is not to shabby, should get a slight mpg boost as well.
I no not to expect much from this car. trust me I had a 68 SS/RS camaro doing 11's in the quarter mile back in the 80's
I think it is fun to squeeze out what ever you can from the Fit. It has been over 20 years since i fooled around with cars. Not used to the import way of doing things.
If the exhaust mods are just for looks I am more apt to leave the stock unit on and put nice tip on it. I am more worried about the cabin noise I may inherit with a axle back system. maybe I should consider the HFP Sport exhaust?
I thank you for your input, I see you are a long time fit freak member.
I appreciate your experience.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
When u're looking at exhaust systems SS Rich, I guess u don't really mind about the loudness of it except the drones? Coz I see that u have/had a 11sec muscle car which should be pretty loud & u've been looking into Aspec muffler which is the what we called N1 type axleback/muffler?

By the way is your car a MT or AT?

Old 09-26-2009, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member
MY car is an 07 auto trans. I want it to have decent sound. I would like to be able to hear my passengers and not have my ears ringing after a long trip. My Camaro initially had super traps then switched to flowmasters which ended behind the front seats so my car was loud as hell. But I was 19 back then and was not bothered by that. For my fit i am leaning towards the h- fit syestem or the a-spec. the a-spec seems a little louder.
If I can avoid that droan in the car where your hearing is affected at certain rpms then i am not so worried. I want the noise outside the car not in it.
Thanks Input please.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
What makes one system an N1 vs another. IS the h-fit system an N1 and if not why?

Old 09-27-2009, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
What I know about the Fit's exhaust is this: the Skunk2 MegaPower 50mm catback has a drone right at 2000 RPM. It was earsplitting until I put in the silencer, then it was merely tolerable. The T1R header actually made the exhaust quieter, and I can remove the silencer without any conversation issues.

The Skunk2 exhaust has a very nice deep tone, by the way.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:19 AM
ive got the hks hi power axle back and i love it to death, very deep (for a honda, im a muscle car guy too, my other car is an 88 mustang). There little if any improvement in power but the look and sound makes the car..."feel" sportier, not to mention gives you the ability to drive by ear and feel more so than having to look at the tach as often.

Drone is little if any and isnt noticeable at all with the radio on even a low setting, so i wouldn't worry about that. Go on youtube and listen to some hks hi power vids, you won't be disappointed.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:01 AM
5 Year Member
I will look at the HKS system. Thanks but aren't they cat back systems?
does anyone know of an axle back system that has a removable silencer
this would be good as it gives to sound options. loud and not so loud?

SS Rich

Old 09-27-2009, 09:54 AM
5 Year Member
OK I am leaning towards the a-spec axle back. so if anyone out there is using it can they let me know if they experienced any drone noise in the cabin

Old 09-27-2009, 10:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SS RICH
I just figured if you are to spend money you would want some type of hp gain not a loss.
I think 8 hp for 200$$ is not to shabby, should get a slight mpg boost as well.
I no not to expect much from this car. trust me I had a 68 SS/RS camaro doing 11's in the quarter mile back in the 80's
I think it is fun to squeeze out what ever you can from the Fit. It has been over 20 years since i fooled around with cars. Not used to the import way of doing things.
If the exhaust mods are just for looks I am more apt to leave the stock unit on and put nice tip on it. I am more worried about the cabin noise I may inherit with a axle back system. maybe I should consider the HFP Sport exhaust?
I thank you for your input, I see you are a long time fit freak member.
I appreciate your experience.
the honda sport exhaust has pretty loud note. it's not obnoxiously loud
but there is definitely a note. is yours a 07-08 or 09+? if 07-08 you
would need to have a muffler shop make an axleback using your stock
muffer in order for the tip to stick out correctly. our 07-08 stock
mufflers have a bathtub faucet tip and putting a tip on that
looks werd because the opening will face downward. i know honda
sells the tip as an option but not sure wat they were thinking. this is
why i went with the megan because the take off angle of the tip and
muffler can is perfect (from the side of the car and from the back).

on my 09 the tip comes straight out of the rear valance and looks nice
with the stainless tip so i dont plan on changing anything on that car.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
i have the hks hi power with t1r 50s b pipe. sounds really nice and has that little burble.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SS RICH
What makes one system an N1 vs another. IS the h-fit system an N1 and if not why?
Here are some examples of N1 & sports muffler setup:

spoon N1:

J's racing

Sports muffler

T1R 50s ver2

Spoon sports type muffler:

Name:  Re-exposureofDSCN8812.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  69.8 KB

Fujitsubo(FGK) Wagolis muffler for GE

I guess u have a better idea on the difference between a N1 muffler & a sports muffler by now. N1 mufflers got a small can with big/small tip, straight through design & they're pretty loud usually. On the other hand sports muffler got bigger can, straight through/dual chambered design & provide a lower tone usually.

SS RICH: I've tried quite a few exhaust setup on my 07' Fit MT both on the street, at autocross & lapping events also. I would recommend u to go with just a sports axleback muffler in your case. The fit's 1.5L block is definitely wayyyyyyyyyyy smaller than what u have/had in your 11sec camaro so it's not a good idea to put a high flow exhaust, especially on a AT fit. U don't wanna sacrifice that weak enough low end torque & throttle response for that tiny little bit of high end power.

HFP/T1R 50s ver2 are both nice & easy to get. Or u can get the FGK wagolis muffler also if u got a little more budget. U will definitely have a hard time to talk with your passengers if u use a N1 design in an AT Fit coz the transmission always keep your engine running at around 2500-3000rpm, maybe lower, which I find pretty annoying & it sounds.....pretty stupid(hope u don't mind me saying that).

I got a couple of in car videos here if u like to see:
megan 4-1 header+stock cat+spoon B pipe+T1R 50s ver1 muffler
YouTube - T1R 1

YouTube - T1R 2

megan 4-1 muffler+T1R test pipe+spoon B pipe+spoon sports oval muffler
YouTube - nct2 bestrun

spoon B pipe+T1R 50s ver2 muffler
YouTube - T1R_50s(1)

FYI I'm running K&N in-box filter in all videos. No aftermarket intake other than that. Hope u can hear the exhaust ok in the last video coz my old R compound tires were pretty loud too! And I'm running a bigger final gear in my transmission now, flywheel machined a little bit for the new clutch. So u might notice that it revs up a little faster.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
spooneK4. Thank you so much for the education. I appreciate all the time you put into your post. (You are a fit freak) I definitely will look at the sport style exhaust instead of the n1 stuff. I loved all your vids especially the road coarse vid.
I hope to try some of that stuff some day.
If money were not an option( it is but) which would you get for quality and performance?

Quick Reply: The great debate - axle back vs cat back