Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

The great debate - axle back vs cat back

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
I think I am going to put the stock exhaust back on the car this weekend
I will post more and why when I have a little more time tomorrow
SS RICH

Old 10-24-2009, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
I spent most of the week using the Greddy TI c with the silencer in.
With the silencer in proved to have a more negative effect on the performance of the car.
SOUND was not much more than stock, so it becomes a matter of looks at that point for me at least.
What was annoying with the silencer in is if you accelerate quickly you have a sound of air being forced through the small opening of the silencer or it may be air seeping from the seams on the outer circle of the silencer as it is not a sealed fitment.

The effect on the delivery of power seemed to be as follows
Was able to recover some of the bottom end which I liked.
The meat of the power seemed to be at approx 2,500 to 3,800 then the car would fall flat and then began to pull again around 4,500 to 5,500 and then fall flat again.

As I noted in my earlier posts my goal when adding the exhaust was to compliment the more linear powerband in the stock form.

Silencer out I feel is the inverse of stock, good midrang to top end vs good bottom to minimal top.

Silencer IN just makes it very spotty with power and flat spots throughout.

One thing I did notice was when removing the silencer there was a lot of the fiber packing sitting at the mouth of the exhaust.
My thought is that the silencer creates a lot of turbulance inside the exhaust canister (silencer in) which would most likely explain the inconsitant power band.

I am going to install the stock unit agian this weekend and give my final comparisson.

AS I noted in my previous post that the car sounds great with the silencer out but the audible searching for the lock up converter or 5th gear can be annoying and would more than likely be the reason why Honda does not reccomned the HFP exhaust for the automatic transmission fits

It would appear as if the touring or chambered exhusts are the better choice
like kechan tried to explain to me in the beginning of this thread. however the 4 to 500 price to me is just not worth it. Adding a fancy exhaust tip May be the best solution as the Fit is good for what it is in stock form and dress up seems to suit it well.

SS RICH

Old 10-24-2009, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
in case you missed it...

check your private messages.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
Was just out most of the morning running the stock exhaust.
In my opinion it is far superior to what I was running. IT PROVIDES a smooth linear power band that pulls fairly well throughout until the top but we all know that already.
I have tried to be unbiased during my posts and feel i have been.
I really think stock is so much better than what i was running that I would feel fairly confident putting my car in stock form up with any of the modified fits.
I am going to sell my GReddy ti-c and spend my money on light weight wheels instead.
that should really give the fit a good increase in performance.
SS RICH

Old 10-25-2009, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
You'll like light rims. The steering is so much more responsive. May I recommend Konig Heliums?

Old 10-25-2009, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Scratch&Dent
You'll like light rims. The steering is so much more responsive. May I recommend Konig Heliums?
I would recommend Enkei RPF1/Kosei K1 TS instead, price is going down while it's got really decent weight & strength.

SS RICH: That's why I'm using my SPOON oval shape sports type muffler with my forged rims. There's a lot of advantage to shave un-sprung weight no matter what size of engine you have.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
^^He's right. Used RPF1's > new Heliums.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:37 PM
I've personally had great success with the Greddy Spectrum Elite SE systems. They're beautifully constructed of polished stainless and they don't sound "ricey," so they won't attract the wrong kind of attention, if you know what I mean. I had this system on my '09 Civic Si and have every intention of putting the same on my '10 Fit. No drone in the cabin, no chainsaw buzz, I love it.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:17 PM
IMO, on this car there's NO doubt about it, axle-back over cat-back....but I'll take it a step further, I'd just go with a muffler replacement and call it a day, so what's that, a "muffler-back"

Old 01-23-2011, 06:08 PM
Most of the systems out there, including the Greddy, are axle-back. It's a small motor and a comparatively short exhaust system. If you open it up too much, you end up losing power. Unless you're going to spring for forced induction, I'd stick with axle-back. And really, after you've spent the money on the car and then paid for a forced-induction system, you might as well have bought the Civic Si and been done with it.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:45 AM
any spoon n1 exhaust up for sale