Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

ZEX Nitrous for Honda Fits...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 12:26 AM
5 Year Member
ZEX Nitrous for Honda Fits...

Zex: Honda Fit Nitrous System

Hmmm... its listed as a kit for our cars??? Has anyone tried it? would be nice.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by OneStopCustoms
Zex: Honda Fit Nitrous System

Hmmm... its listed as a kit for our cars??? Has anyone tried it? would be nice.
I've had one on my 89 Civic. One word. Addictive. Instant power on demand. It's pretty safe, as long as you don't get greedy and up the amount. It will also turn you into a race whore.

Nitrous has a bad reputation. Most coming from people who don't know how it works. Installation of the kit, being a dry kit, is simple. You must use high octane gas and really need to have the lowest jet settings for the size of motor found in our Fits. Anymore and you'll risk major damage to the engine. You may end up having to upgrade the clutch. You'll be burning rubber in first, second, and even third. You'll then end up wanting a warming blanket, remote turn on, purge kit, etc. At the track (1/4 mile), you'll get about 6 to 8 runs before running out of nitrous. You will definitely scare the bejeezus out of domestics.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:28 AM
5 Year Member
can it work in conjunction with turbo??

Old 09-29-2009, 05:56 AM
5 Year Member
Depends if you have upgraded internals. It's been done before. However, not on any Fit I've heard of. Actually, the nitrous would cool down the intake charge and take care of whatever turbo lag you have. You need to have enough fuel flow to match the amount of oxygen being produced, too. Fuel management is huge on something like this. You will not be able to use the Zex kit, that's for sure. You would probably have to get a wet system and use a manifold pressure switch to turn off the nitrous when turbo is in full boost. I'm no techie, so someone else would need to chime in. The Zex dry nitrous kit is meant more for plug and play. Lots of info out there on this topic. It would be cool to have a local Fit owner do something like this. If you are serious, take a look at an NX (Nitrous Express) kit. Nitrous Express Next Generation Nitrous Oxide Systems

A buddy of mine, who owns Chief Chassis is an NX dealer. He can get you the right setup and give you all the technical help. His shop is in North Langley.

Last edited by mugen666; 09-29-2009 at 05:59 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:58 AM
5 Year Member
tunerzine fit had the kit.

this had been a thread awhile back but one of the forum members said the zex module thing are crap and when they break they are not cheap and you have to buy a new one? anyways tunerzine fit made about as much HP as a base kraftwerks kit

http://www.tunerzine.com/view_articl...-7-zex-nitrous

Last edited by redrumm; 09-29-2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:29 AM
5 Year Member
I wouldn't call it crap, but it's just meant for quick plug and play type installation. If I had to do it all over again, I'd go Nitrous Express.

Also, it's not like supercharger or turbo kits don't have problems, either. Anything that makes the car go fast causes problems and will take its toll.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
well thats what he said i wouldnt have a clue but he and his friend both had the kit and the samething happened to both of them? someone had this on the fit at the florida meet

Old 09-29-2009, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
Nitrous has potential to cause a lot of damage, but most of it is due to user error or improper install. There are safeguards built in to all systems, but all it takes is someone taking a shortcut.

There's a story floating around on the Internet about a nitrous system blowing up a house and whatnot. It was discovered the person installed two blow off discs/cap in his system for whatever reason. Well, the thing built up so much pressure it exploded and sent the bottle like a missle out the car. There were speculations he was trying to kill his wife. Hmmmmm................ nah, I love my wife - I really do.

Anyway...........

Old 09-29-2009, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
haha alright.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mugen666
I wouldn't call it crap, but it's just meant for quick plug and play type installation. If I had to do it all over again, I'd go Nitrous Express.

Also, it's not like supercharger or turbo kits don't have problems, either. Anything that makes the car go fast causes problems and will take its toll.
Would you recommend nitrous for someone with limited performance modifying experience? The extent of my modification is installing a cold air intake. I understand there are risks with nitrous, but is it something I can learn about and install/troubleshoot on my own if something goes wrong?

Also does this kit fit the GE?

Old 09-30-2009, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member
A Nitrous Express or NOS kit would be more difficult to install. Not quite plug and play like the Zex. I installed my Zex with no problems on a Civic. Visit a dealer and find out more about the install process. Issues like where to install the nitrous nozzle on a Fit, for example.

As for working on a GE, I imagine it would work on any 4 cylinder fuel injected motor.

In a nutshell, you install a nitrous nozzle, which is connected to a bottle of nitrous. You have an arming switch that turns the system on. The nitrous does not come on unless you are at full throttle. The nitrous is introduced when a wire connected to your Throttle Position Sensor reaches its full voltage (5 volts on most Hondas). You adjust how much nitrous is introduced into the intake via jets. Nitrous itself is not a fuel. It introduces more oxygen to your intake. Nitrous Oxide (oxide = oxygen). Your stock system provides maximum amount of fuel into the engine at full throttle. As long as your fuel pump and injectors are in good order, there should be no problems.

The difference between a dry nitrous kit and a wet one is, the dry one introduces the nitrous before the throttle body (intake pipe). A wet system introduces the nitrous, along with fuel, directly into the intake manifold itself. I don't think a wet kit will work in the GE Fit because of the way the intake is designed. Again, better to just visit a dealer and see what/how the kit for the Fit is put together.

Also, on a true wet system, you have one nozzle for each intake runner. This ensures that all cylinders get equal amounts of nitrous/fuel. A dry system relies on the fact that the nitrous is introduced into the intake early on so the nitrous mixes nicely before it reaches the manifold and cylinders. There's more to it than that, but this is a coles notes explanation. Others can chime in if they want. It's been a while since I've played with the gas.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:29 AM
5 Year Member
Subscribed for interest...I thought about this very system, but I couldn't figure out where to put the bottle.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:34 AM
5 Year Member
The hatch area behind the rear seat would just about be the only place for it. You need to be able to have access to it for refilling and it needs to be at a horizontal position with a slight incline. You also need to have a place for the vent tube to exit the vehicle.

There is one more place it could go (need to measure the opening), and that is the large area between the front bumper and the rad. Close to everything and the lines would be right there. Just don't get into an accident. LOL. Again, the nitrous itself is not flamable, but the gas is under pressure. It takes a lot to rupture one of those tanks, but if it goes, man it goes.

Last edited by mugen666; 09-30-2009 at 01:37 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
ive sold ZEX for bout 9 years now and never had a prob with them and have ran it with a turbo setup as well (35 shot). and just keep in mine nitrous doesnt mess motors up people mess there motors up.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AtticusFit
ive sold ZEX for bout 9 years now and never had a prob with them and have ran it with a turbo setup as well (35 shot). and just keep in mine nitrous doesnt mess motors up people mess there motors up.

x2 what he said

Old 09-30-2009, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
good to know! id still like to try it out one day

Old 09-30-2009, 10:48 PM
as i recall the fit does not use a MAF, so how does the computer recognise that the O2 content has been dramatically raised when nitrous is on?
i guess it would see it with the O2 sensor out the back, but that seems a more crude way to control Air/fuel for nitrous.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:34 AM
can this be applied on an AT tranny?! lol...

Old 10-01-2009, 02:04 AM
5 Year Member
Most assuredly it can.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by m-man@sbcglobal.net
as i recall the fit does not use a MAF, so how does the computer recognise that the O2 content has been dramatically raised when nitrous is on?
i guess it would see it with the O2 sensor out the back, but that seems a more crude way to control Air/fuel for nitrous.

I believe on the info is on the website. even the how to install in PDF format

Quick Reply: ZEX Nitrous for Honda Fits...