Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

K20a Fit

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 11:48 PM
Master FitFreaker
nothing yet

Old 05-15-2006, 12:03 AM
Someone that Posts too much
Any weight distribution is correctable by tuning the suspension for overall balance? The weight is there and not going to disappear just because the suspension is tune. The nose of the car still has to carry that weight around no?

Old 05-15-2006, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by aallbbeerrtttttt
like i said before, n1 concepts doing it big! no ghetto rigging here...proper mounts and no firewall cutting = happy fit
in the last issue of Super Street, and from many people that attended the local shows, the engine itself is installed, BUT it doesn't run

I am not sure where you got the idea that it runs.. they had to push it in and out of the shows from what i hear and even Super Street say they are still working on it

-joe

Old 05-15-2006, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by GoFit
Any weight distribution is correctable by tuning the suspension for overall balance? The weight is there and not going to disappear just because the suspension is tune. The nose of the car still has to carry that weight around no?
Just as most race cars do. The track record holder at our local track uses a civic with a weight distribution of 65/35. Do you watch bestmotoringvideos? There's this one vol where a civic eg with a k20 swap beats cars with more than 300+ hp. That should give you some idea.. The k20 is not a v8 so people should stop thinking that it's extremely heavy. Basically its just like putting a b18c in a ek or eg civic.

Old 05-15-2006, 02:31 PM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by aallbbeerrtttttt

like i said before, n1 concepts doing it big! no ghetto rigging here...proper mounts and no firewall cutting = happy fit
i wonder if this swap will be popular cause it wont be cheap

Old 05-15-2006, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by blackgd3
Just as most race cars do. The track record holder at our local track uses a civic with a weight distribution of 65/35. Do you watch bestmotoringvideos? There's this one vol where a civic eg with a k20 swap beats cars with more than 300+ hp. That should give you some idea.. The k20 is not a v8 so people should stop thinking that it's extremely heavy. Basically its just like putting a b18c in a ek or eg civic.
1/4 mile run or autocross/roadcourse? If it's 1/4 mile then i agree but on a track where the car constantly have to change direction is what i'm questioning.

Old 05-15-2006, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
A car with better weight distribution will handle better, all else being equal. The reason that car youre talking about could beat the other cars is that it's power to weight ratio was so much better. At least 200hp in a car that I really doubt weighed more than 2100lbs is a nutty ratio.

And the 450hp LS6 (fully dressed, including transmission) weighs less than 90lbs more than a K20. Torque must not weigh much

Old 05-15-2006, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sillypuddy
in the last issue of Super Street, and from many people that attended the local shows, the engine itself is installed, BUT it doesn't run

I am not sure where you got the idea that it runs.. they had to push it in and out of the shows from what i hear and even Super Street say they are still working on it

-joe
pwnt.

edit:

Old 05-15-2006, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by GoFit
1/4 mile run or autocross/roadcourse? If it's 1/4 mile then i agree but on a track where the car constantly have to change direction is what i'm questioning.
roadcourse. It is a stripped out ek9 with a b16b.

Last edited by blackgd3; 05-15-2006 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by fshwcrs
A car with better weight distribution will handle better, all else being equal. The reason that car youre talking about could beat the other cars is that it's power to weight ratio was so much better. At least 200hp in a car that I really doubt weighed more than 2100lbs is a nutty ratio.

And the 450hp LS6 (fully dressed, including transmission) weighs less than 90lbs more than a K20. Torque must not weigh much
Yes but it also handled extremely well, did'nt it? Excellent power to weight ratio and fine suspension tuning will make this car an excellent track car. Its only setback is the torsion beam rear suspension but spoon has proven that it still handles well.

Last edited by blackgd3; 05-15-2006 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:43 PM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sillypuddy

-joe
so the car is not running yet...its going to be interesting to see the results

Old 05-16-2006, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
Anyplace I can get some info on the Spoon/Mugen K20 attempts?

Old 05-16-2006, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by GoFits
Anyplace I can get some info on the Spoon/Mugen K20 attempts?
AFAIk spoon never attempted to swap a k20 for their fit. Mugen as we all know messed it up. Best bet is to wait for some guy to do it properly.

Old 05-16-2006, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
I was wondering if there were any sources as far as article databases or magazine write ups. So it's not just random forum members spouting off hear-sa.
AFAIk spoon never attempted to swap a k20 for their fit. Mugen as we all know messed it up. Best bet is to wait for some guy to do it properly.

Old 05-16-2006, 11:59 AM
everyone that wants a b-series swap instead because of price or whatever needs to understand that the fit is drive-by-wire, and it will be even harder to swap a b-series because of it.

like that one guy said, our best bet (for now) is probably a new r series motor.

or nitrous. like 200-shot. >_<

Old 05-16-2006, 02:03 PM
if you think that they messed it up, you are so off course

Mugen is honda's factory backed performance company, with access to all the honda engineering data, etc.. they did the swap properly but their comment was that it was front heavy and was virtually undrivable

people are going off tangent saying the b-series vs. the k-series is about the same weight, etc.. yes, when swap in place of a d-series or f-series engine, the weight difference isn't all that great

but when you are putting in a B/K into a chassis designed for the VERY LIGHTWEIGHT L series, you are adding tons of weight!!

so let's start "debating" this in terms of B/K -> L series chassis ok?

-joe

Old 05-16-2006, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
But where is it officially written by Mugen that the Fit is "virtually undrivable" with a K20?...they have a snazzy little video of one driving about but it's hard to tell how fast it's going.

Old 05-16-2006, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member
But where is it officially written by Mugen that the Fit is "virtually undrivable" with a K20?...they have a snazzy little video of one driving about but it's hard to tell how fast it's going.
I believe it can't go faster than 20mph due to engine vibrations or unfinalized (read: test) motor mounts. I'll try to look for the links that discussed this.

Old 05-16-2006, 03:46 PM
In one of the Hong Kong newspapers, they had a review of the red fit with the K20 swap. They had to flatbed it from location to location and only used it for short bursts for photo purposes, otherwise it was not street / drivable at all

-joe

Old 05-16-2006, 04:48 PM
I'd be interested eventually. I'm thinking that the civic si/RSX k20 would be more than adequate for this car. The expense would be far more reasonable and the results would be great for a dd car.

Quick Reply: K20a Fit