Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

KWSC high boost vs T1R type S kit... which one would you go with?

Old 04-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
youll make more tq with turbo but youll make more initial power with s/c.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dewthedew
youll make more tq with turbo but youll make more initial power with s/c.
I equate the power characteristics of a turbocharger engined cars power band with a 2 stroke dirt bike and the Rotrex supercharged engine equipped car more like that of a milder tuned larger 4 stroke dirt bike.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
How much did you guys pay for the KWSC total? Including install, tune, gauges or whatever else was required? I want to get a ball park figure. =]

Old 04-09-2010, 07:08 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AnlDyxp_GD3
How much did you guys pay for the KWSC total? Including install, tune, gauges or whatever else was required? I want to get a ball park figure. =]
a tune is not required, Gauges are always good to have to monitor, but again not required. Looks like ballpark install is about $500. I would recommend getting the kit installed at a authorized install center, which there are plenty of in socal, if you dont do it yourself to avoid install errors like some of the people on this forum experienced.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
a tune is not required, Gauges are always good to have to monitor, but again not required. Looks like ballpark install is about $500. I would recommend getting the kit installed at a authorized install center, which there are plenty of in socal, if you dont do it yourself to avoid install errors like some of the people on this forum experienced.
ok cool. What is the cheapest you've seen the Kit itself go for?

I'm sure no one has paid the MSRP for it right?

Old 04-09-2010, 07:26 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
There is a price cap on the kits, just like apple products. Good thing is you are able to pick up the kit local. Only time the kit is discounted is when KW has sale's on them, check their site for sales.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

There is a price cap on the kits, just like apple products. Good thing is you are able to pick up the kit local. Only time the kit is discounted is when KW has sale's on them, check their site for sales.
Ok cool. I will check around for pricing. Hopefully I can get a better deal. Working in corporate wholesale I know theres usually a 35-65% markup on retail. hahah. And my buddy at apple got me 25% off my MBP so I know there is ALWAYS room. LOL. Thanks Chris. I hope to get one of these installed soon =]. I'm just kind of worried that with any FI kit, my car as a DD won't last me another 5 years without any out-of-the-ordinary major maintenance.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:54 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Ok cool. I will check around for pricing. Hopefully I can get a better deal. Working in corporate wholesale I know theres usually a 35-65% markup on retail. hahah. And my buddy at apple got me 25% off my MBP so I know there is ALWAYS room. LOL. Thanks Chris. I hope to get one of these installed soon =]. I'm just kind of worried that with any FI kit, my car as a DD won't last me another 5 years without any out-of-the-ordinary major maintenance.
my car has been the longest boosted fit on this forum, and probably the US... Car still runs strong, all i do is change the oil. Check the belt from time to time.. thats it.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
my car has been the longest boosted fit on this forum, and probably the US... Car still runs strong, all i do is change the oil. Check the belt from time to time.. thats it.
Awesome! Yeah originally I wanted the HKS kit because I wanted to run a mean BOV. But reliability is the most important for me. If the KWSC runs THAT much cooler than a turbo does, than that makes it a good candidate. I saw a youtube video of another members KWSC with the greddy bov. I want to see if I can do that.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
I got mine for $2875 and installed it myself.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:00 AM
Koi
5 Year Member
Tax really hurts when you buy in CA though...

Old 04-10-2010, 02:10 AM
5 Year Member
If KW was here I'd had to pay big sales tax as well..... You guys in California do a lot better with shipping cost,

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 04-10-2010 at 02:28 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:49 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Awesome! Yeah originally I wanted the HKS kit because I wanted to run a mean BOV. But reliability is the most important for me. If the KWSC runs THAT much cooler than a turbo does, than that makes it a good candidate. I saw a youtube video of another members KWSC with the greddy bov. I want to see if I can do that.
Stay with the bypass. BOVs vent straight to atmosphere instead of recirculating into the system. You will see better gas mileage with the bypass valve.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:30 AM
5 Year Member
i have T1R Type S kit for the last 30000kms.....no problems to motor at all....!!
but the kraftwerks kit seems to be VERY high Quality !! so i would go with that .

Old 05-11-2010, 08:22 AM
5 Year Member
If I can survive the damned blood sucking mosquitoes outside, my car will be full boost pretty soon..... The upgrade is pretty straight forward and simple but not something that a person would want to be haphazard with in their approach to installation. I am going to wait until the whole job is complete and there is no doubt that everything is properly in place before I celebrate.... I'm doing a few other things that I feel is important to the installation as well as convenient to access while I am doing this.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I'm doing a few other things that I feel is important to the installation as well as convenient to access while I am doing this.
Like what? I'm enjoying living vicariously thru you since I can't get high boost.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member
Mainly I am insulating the header, intake and boost tube, and hope to get an oil cooler in place along with some paint while the front bumper is off.... There are other things I want to look into that I think would be beneficial but I am not sure if I will be able to mess with until later.... A NACA duct and PRM universal mount filter is one idea that will not leave me alone, but exhaust and other things in addition to the upgrade kit has me running low on funds and my wife wants to take a trip when she is on vacation so I will have to wait on a lot of it..... Sometimes I wish that I was a 22 year old trust fund baby but I have known a few of them and most of them just miss out on so much in life by using money to avoid doing anything that they can pay someone else to do they miss out on the feeling of accomplishment under adverse conditions that real people get to enjoy and never get to do things their own way.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:53 AM
5 Year Member
Insulating header...

I had my J's Racing header coated by Jet-Hot but the finish is flaking off after 2 years or so of daily driving. I keep thinking I should have gotten my header coated at Swain-Tech but hindsight is always 20/20.

Anyhow my car is paid for. I'm running it (106K miles) until it dies and then I'll, reluctantly, get into another car payment....STI/EVO perhaps?

Good luck with your car! I'm enjoying your progress...

Old 05-11-2010, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member
If I ever get another car I want a 53 Studebaker Commander with the Studelac conversion.... A 57 Golden Hawk would be nice too.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
wow thats awsome ot hear how many people have been having zero problems, down the road i was gonna turbo my fit, did alot of research and the kw kit seems to be awsome, gonna stick with that now after hearing all the good things about it