Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Cold air intake by Aircon chilled

Old 05-01-2010, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
Cold air intake by Aircon chilled

hi,

I'm planning if using air intake chiller by air con instead orginal using CO2, which mean I will linkup my car air con to cool down the air intake.
Any comment?

I do understand for turbo Fit, if need more power, need to OFF air con.
But i am considering normal drive at highway with boost max 0.6 bar, RPM less then 4000 RPM and normally my air con always on during driving to work or lesuire. If i need to have more power, I still can anytime OFF air con. This is my thought.

2) I would like to check what is the temperture of freon before going back to the compressor, 15 degree celsius?

Last edited by clanbuster; 05-01-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
by the way, in my country- the temperture sensor normally show 36 degree C, if rain then drop to 30 oC

that why i think of this.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:26 AM
It certainly is an original idea, but I'm afraid that the drivetrain loss' from running the A/C would pretty much cancel out any HP gain you would see. In order for the A/C to adequately cool the intake charge you would have to divert all of the systems output to the the intake. Which would make your commute sweatier, if not faster. I'm pretty sure that CO2 systems are designed primarily for drag racing set-ups where a short blast of additional HP comes in handy, not for commuters.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Yeah, I agree - you're not going to see more power created from this than it takes to run the condenser. Laws of thermodynamics and all . . .

And frankly, even if you had an intake tube dropped down to below freezing, it's not going to impact your IAT very much. Air simply doesn't spend enough time in there for it to be impacted. Taking a look at real-world IAT logs comparing cold air intakes to "hot" air intakes, the difference is usually insignificant.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:25 PM
I think the only real world advantage to a CAI is that it has the ability to clear itself of hot air leached from the enviornment under the hood. The reason the OE airbox is plastic is that takes a while for it to heat soak and adversely affect IAT.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:14 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
just spray co2 thru it and dont use the a.c

Old 05-03-2010, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
old road racers used to do this... but instead of doing it through the intake, which is more difficult to cool, they affixed a long canister around the fuel feed line, and dropped some dry ice in the canister which cooled the fuel coming in... cheap and effective...

but again, not really worth it for a dd/commuter...

Old 05-03-2010, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
RVs and travel trailer propane powered refrigerators that heat a weak ammonia water mixture into a gas that circulates and cools has been of interest to me for a means of lowering intake temps in an inter cooler......Google "Einstein refrigerator" for more info... The design is simple, exhaust heat could provide the heat source, there are no dangerous chemicals or moving parts. A small intercooler in an insulated box with the cooling coils could drop intake temperatures dramatically. It is so simple I can't understand why someone hasn't tried this.... In addition to lowering air temp it could also lower the temperature of methanol/water mixture for injection into intake ports.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
RVs and travel trailer propane powered refrigerators that heat a weak ammonia water mixture into a gas that circulates and cools has been of interest to me for a means of lowering intake temps in an inter cooler......Google "Einstein refrigerator" for more info... The design is simple, exhaust heat could provide the heat source, there are no dangerous chemicals or moving parts. A small intercooler in an insulated box with the cooling coils could drop intake temperatures dramatically. It is so simple I can't understand why someone hasn't tried this.... In addition to lowering air temp it could also lower the temperature of methanol/water mixture for injection into intake ports.
have u tried it yet ?
any pics ?

something to try out

Old 10-13-2010, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
I have talked to a neighbor that is in the heating and A/C business and also into RVs and he says It would be like driving an explosive device...It is something so simple but at the same time contradictory to the laws of thermodynamics yet is a product of thermodynamics.... I had a travel trailer with a RV refrigerator that used the same process and it ran off of a small flame from a propane burner... I lived in the thing for 18 months and it didn't blow up and worked very well when there was no electricity.... I have thought about it a lot and I guess I need to find someone that is knowledgeable about RV refrigerators that is also an automotive performance enthusiast.... It has been awhile since I research it online but I think I read that there has been third world applications of this type of refrigeration that uses a fluid that is more effective than ammonia that allows the process to work from solar energy..... Just think of the wasted heat going to waste from catalytic converters or even radiator coolant...... Someone very powerful must control the patents on this process and is making this technology impossible to use or someone would have certainly been marketing it in some form other than just RV refrigerators...... I had a good friend that would have been able to figure all of this out and implement it but he is no longer alive.... He was a single father that raised a beautiful, brilliant daughter that is doing graduate work at M.I.T...... We used to laugh at the simplicity of this technology every time I'd open the refrigerator in my travel trailer to get out a couple of beers.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:19 PM
Actually the prototype SVT Lightning that never made it to production had a system like this. The A/C compressor would pressurize a large tank when the engine was at low throttle and this tank would be isolated, but at onset of WOT it would cut the compressor and dump all that refrigerant through an intercooler underneath the roots blower. Ford said for a few seconds it was good for a boost to 550 hp (from 500).

On a naturally aspirated engine the size of this one, I think any gain in power would be offset by the weight of the system.